Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Winter Project #2

So my Winter Break project went so well I'm left with nothing to build, measure, or voice :(

Enter WP2024!!! It's actually just a repurposing of my Tre Stemes tower enclosures and hopefully the baffles too. The original project turned out quite good but I feel like 44" tall towers need more than a simple TMW with a single 6.5" woofer.

kenrhodesSteve_Leejhollander

Comments

• I really love the highs from the Peerless XT25TG30-04 tweeters so those aren't going anywhere! They are great tweeters regardless of price.

The mids from the Peerless 830656 were nice and smooth but I think I can get a bunch more detail from a driver with the same cone Sd but a significantly lighter cone Mms. Enter the Tang Band W5-2143 drivers for the mids. Holy Smokes Batman these are now $100 each! I picked up mine for under $100 for the pair! As side note they look bad to the bone to me.

The Peerless SDS-160F25CP01-08 produced great bass in the previous project but they required a huge enclosure for a single 6.5" and needed a lot of power to do it. Enter the new MAC-06 drivers (as metioned in another thread). I will be using two per side wired in parallel. They model great in these 33 Liter enclosures with an F3 of 37 Hz. The sensitivity is awesome and they can do over 102 dB before exceeding their rated Xmax. More to come.

a4eaudioDrewsBrewsEggguyugly_wooferhifisidetajanesSilver1omojr@macSteve_Leejhollanderand 2 others.
  • I snagged a pair of W8-2145s for about $86ea years ago on sale, but still have yet to put them in anything.

Going to be a interesting mix of unusual looking drivers!

• edited January 5

++ with the Tang Bands for mids, and Kudos for going with the Mac-06’s !

I may be crossing higher with my Markaudio’s to a beyma slot super-tweeter, but it will be interesting where, and how, you cross to your tweeter with these TB’s broad range drivers…

• edited January 7

I have to say I think your mid choice is good. The paper cones on the W4-2314 produces a favorable midrange to me. Dare I call it an 'organic' sounding midrange.
    Edit: W4-2315

• These are the towers I am reworking:

hifisideGeoffMillar
  • Here is rendition I made with the new drivers:

jr@macjhollanderugly_wooferTom_Sjohnny5jztajanesWolfhifisideSteve_Lee
  • edited January 5

@Wolf said:
    I have to say I think your mid choice is good. The paper cones on the W4-2314 produces a favorable midrange to me. Dare I call it an 'organic' sounding midrange.

Is that a thing or did you mean W4-2142? I've used the W4-2142 in a full range and I believe they are the 4" little bro to what PWRRYD is using. Nice sounding driver for sure.

• The 4" coaxial uses the same cone material, likely the 6 and 8 too. I have the W3-2141 and the cones are of the same stuff as my coaxes.

• Yeah I kinda thought they all looked the same with their pale creamish colored cone material. The surrounds are obviously a little different. I'll post all my FR and Dist measurenents when I get to that point.

• I have a pair of Tang Band W4-1320SIF that sound absolutely amazing as mids! Their FR measurements aren't perfectly flat but they over perform when properly deployed. I'm hoping for the same results with these 5" Tang Band drivers.

Turn2
  • The four MAC-06 drivers showed up this afternoon. Quick delivery and excellent packaging (thanks Brad). They are in the break in protocol. I'll let them break in for a few more hours then cool over night. Should be able to measure their T/S parameters tomorrow.

Overall great looking drivers. Build quality is above Dayton drivers.

hifisidejr@macColonel7Steve_Lee
  • I was able to measure the T/S parameters of my quad of MAC-06's. As I expected they measured exceptionally close to each other and not far off from their published specs. I flogged the crap out of my four during break in so their Fs was a little bit lower, Qts a bit lower, and Vas higher. Overall they model very much the same with my measurements vs. their published specs.

hifisideSteve_Lee