Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

First Attempt at Crossover Design

edited January 21 in DIY

Hello from Melbourne, where it's raining for the tennis - again.

I've had a pair of Classix II for some years and love them, but thought it was time for a change. To date I've only built other peoples' projects and enjoyed them very much, but thought I'd have a go at doing something with selections from the driver stash: Peerless SDS160 6.5" mid and Vifa BC25TG tweeter.

There is an existing German project with those drivers, but I found the sound very bright with the suggested parts and had a go at revising the crossover a while ago; however, the sound was really lacking something and I put it on hold.

I had another go at it last week. Being lazy, I re-used the Classix cabinets which means that they're not the ideal size for the Peerless - however, the 'proper' size vented cabinet for the Peerless - over one cu ft - has no WAF potential.

The Classix were my first self-built cabinets, are amateurish and rough (no Jasper jig at the time), plus I decorated them with decoupaged photos of Jimi Hendrix. Well, why not? My Tritrix have Bach and Charlie Christian....

After a bit of playing around in Xsim - I don't have measuring equipment - I settled on the attached:

I listened to a range of material this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised that they didn't suck!

Do they sound as good as the Classix, Craig's Zenvos or Ron E's C-notes - no, but I had fun and it wasn't a disaster.

Geoff

Tagged:
Steve_LeeDanP4thtry

Comments

• Same exact drivers I use in my ED6 wall mount speakers.

Steve_Leerjj45
  • And I'm sure yours would sound better, they look really nice too.

Geoff

• Solid driver combo and that tweeter definitely punches above it's weight class IMO.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    Solid driver combo and that tweeter definitely punches above it's weight class IMO.

I've used that Vifa in several projects and it's very impressive for the $$.

Very smooth sound and to my ears, a nicer tweeter than the DC28F - and $A15 cheaper with it!

Geoff

jr@macrjj45
  • I should add that my efforts would have been impossible were it not for the helpful and friendly advice and learning that I've received directly or indirectly from Forum members.

Thank you all

Geoff

Nicholas_23Steve_Lee4thtryjr@mac
  • @GeoffMillar said:
    I should add that my efforts would have been impossible were it not for the helpful and friendly advice and learning that I've received directly or indirectly from Forum members.

Thank you all

Geoff

I agree , great place for info and such. Good peeps in here.

kenrhodesjr@mac
  • edited January 22

DJOKER !!!