Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Two flavors of Enter Sandman - or, why it is buyer beware with HDTracks...

The top track is original CD pressing from early 90s, bottom is the HDTracks master.

The original is mastered louder, but the HDTracks is far more compressed.

I have a signature.
ugly_wooferTurn2rjj45Steve_Lee

Comments

• That sucks!

• CDs FTW!!

WolfSteve_Lee
  • I bought some 24/96 high-rez tracks, and loaded into Audacity spectrum view. There was a hard cutoff at 22Khz, and empty from there to 48K. Someone had just resampled the original CD resolution into 24/96 - it was fake.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @rjj45 said:
    I bought some 24/96 high-rez tracks, and loaded into Audacity spectrum view. There was a hard cutoff at 22Khz, and empty from there to 48K. Someone had just resampled the original CD resolution into 24/96 - it was fake.

I have not personally run into that with HDTracks material, but it doesn't surprise me it could happen.

I have a signature.
  • edited January 26

Something about not being able to make a silk purse from a sow's ear comes to mind. I mean that in a general sense, not referring to the Metallica cut.

• Here is the waveform for Cat Stevens HDTracks:

Spectrum:

Definitely a legit "hi-rez" track. Not saying it sounds better because hi-rez", but it does sound better than the version off of my "best of" CD.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • A few years ago, I was starting to get interested in high-rez music, and Google showed that some people were every upset about suspected fraudulent high-rez tracks. I learned that it's very easy to find the truth. Here are some examples.
    Beck's "Morning" at CD resolution. Note the maximum frequency of 22Khz, even though I have configured Audacity Spectrogram for 96Khz max.

Here is the same track, sold as 24/96 high-rez

WTF? Notice the "band" at 22Khz, and that "extended resolution" seems to be turned on and off independently of the "basic" audio.

So here is an authentic high-rez track

Notice no "band" at 22Khz, and notice the line at 88Khz. So that appears to be the real frequency limit for this track.

You may need to configure the spectrogram display to show this:

Hope this helps!

Steve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I just love how much people stress over ultrasonic audio.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @dcibel said:
    I just love how much people stress over ultrasonic audio.

What stress? Just pointing out that shit is advertised as A and is clearly B.
    I love how people stress over other people's stress.

dcibelrjj45ugly_wooferSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.