Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Acousta-Stuf and knowing when enough is enough

As most of you know, I recently completed my arrays.  Have very little experience with sealed enclosures so I'm hoping you guys can tell me if what I've done is OK or wrong.  According to the bags instructions, recommended stuffing is 1/2lb per cubic foot.  The arrays internal volume is right at 1.5 cu ft.  By the math, this would mean I needed 3/4lb per cabinet.  The cabinet is a "V" shape internally and is divided into 5 sections, 2 woofers per so this breaks down to .15Ib of Acousta-Stuf per section. Used a small scale we have at work and weighed out five batches and then split that evenly to apply it in each "V" section of the cabinet. 

The cabinets were also lined with 3/4" Sonic Barrier.  Now, for the question.  Should I have recalculated the internal volume since the Sonic Barrier reduced the open space in the cabinets?  I'm attaching some pics, maybe you will be able to tell just by looking if the cabs are overstuffed or not.  The first picture is just so you understand how the cabinet is shaped internally.  The last pic really isn't relevant but I'm a proud father and love the fact my son likes to help any chance he can.  When your dealing with this many drivers and screws, having recruits available is a good thing.

kennykMzisserson4thtry

Comments

• If the sonic barrier is foam, which it appears to be, I wouldn't subtract it. Foam compresses to almost nothing and that's all the volume it displaces.

Ron
    kennyk
  • It doesn't have to be very precise, but try to have the same amount of filling in both cabinets
  • I agree with Ani. A small difference will not have any sort of audible effect. Roughly the same is close enough. 
  • I really try to pull that stuff apart and make it fluff up. It comes smashed into a bag tightly tangled. I feel like if i do that it fills the space more evenly and stays put better. 
    kennykMzisserson4thtry
  • I use 1lb per cubic foot, fluffed like hell, measure and make sure the Fb is as desired and will add more or subtract accordingly. Can be teadious, but takes away the guessing. 
    4thtry
  • How do you ascertain the FB in a sealed design? For vented, we look for the valley in the double hump. I have not tried for sealed...
  • For sealed enclosures it is the peak of the single impeadance hump.
  • Thanks, will keep it in mind for sealed designs
  • I was trying to refrain from saying fluff it as i am aware of a secondary meaning i didnt want to associate myself with. Lol
  • Thanks guys.  Learned a little something from this thread and will try to use it any chance I can.  I'm assuming since none of you commented on the pics, these don't look overstuffed to you.  I'll try the DAT's sweep and see what the peak reads.  Not sure if I should bypass the shading board, probably should for the test. Will report back after I have a chance to run the test.  May be a while since I have another project in the works.
  • No not overstuffed. You could do more i was just thinking how many speaker you would have to remove to accomplish that and i think it might give me nightmares tonight :)
  • D1PP1N said:
    No not overstuffed. You could do more i was just thinking how many speaker you would have to remove to accomplish that and i think it might give me nightmares tonight :)

Under-stuffed I can probably live with, over-stuffed, not so much. Sorry for the nightmares.:)
    D1PP1N
  • Thanks guys.  Learned a little something from this thread and will try to use it any chance I can.  I'm assuming since none of you commented on the pics, these don't look overstuffed to you.  I'll try the DAT's sweep and see what the peak reads.  Not sure if I should bypass the shading board, probably should for the test. Will report back after I have a chance to run the test.  May be a while since I have another project in the works.
    Nah-man, just jealous of the beauty you got goin' on in those speaks.... 
  • It does look nice.  Looks like African stripped mahogany.   What is the baffle?  
  • It does look nice.  Looks like African stripped mahogany.   What is the baffle?  

Thanks. The baffles are Karelian Birch, rest of the enclosure is Sapele.
  • Is that sapele easy stuff to work with? I've noticed one of my guitars uses it for its sides and back. Is it easy enough to bend and manipulate? 
  • Georgous btw
  • Gorgeous even :p

D1PP1N
  • Is that sapele easy stuff to work with? I've noticed one of my guitars uses it for its sides and back. Is it easy enough to bend and manipulate? 
    The Sapele on these was paperbacked so that made things easier right off the bat.  It didn't give me any trouble at all conforming to the shape of the cabinets.  Sapele is a member of the Mahogany family so it has very similar traits.  Thanks for the kind words on the speaks.
  • If no one else will say it, I will. 

That wire management feels good. 
  • Man you look young Kevin.
    kennykKevin_Kendrick
  • If no one else will say it, I will. 

That wire management feels good. 

Thank you Sir!  Sometimes I get a little carried away with the details but these worked out great.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Man you look young Kevin.

I wish!  Imagine where we would all be in this hobby if we started at that age.:)   I hope his interest continues to grow.  We will be starting on his MWAF project soon, that should be a lot of fun walking him through everything and he should learn a lot in the process.