Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

uTracer Build

Figured I might as well let you guys in on the adventure ... or misadventure as it may well be.

What do you guys recommend? 1) Solder; ease of use, quality of weld, and availability. Have 1lb of Kester44 sn60/pb40 rosin core in the cart. Is one brand better or is solder, solder? 2) Helping hands for those times an extra hand is needed. 3) Tweezers to hold those tiny parts in place while soldering. Locking tweezers or no?

Nothing like a little taped up damage before the reveal.

and the goods.

6thplanet4thtry

Comments

• I prefer 63/37 solder, it is eutectic which I find really helps for soldering crossover parts up. Can be a bit of a pain to work with for certain applications, however. YMMV.

I have a signature.
  • Make sure you have some liquid and paste flux. MGchemicals is a great brand.

rjj45
  • I'm as 63/37 guy as well. Kester is a good way to go IMO. A long time ago, Kester and the company I worked for were both owned by Litton Industries and I was at their plant for meetings once. I got a full tour and they are a serious operation with full quality control, safety, testing labs, etc... Some other manufacturers might be okay, but why mess around?

I have helping hands and a small swiveling bench vise. You will often wind up needing to secure something beyond what is possible or safe with your hands alone.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I just ordered a little solder pot to help me tin wires. Will need to upgrade my soldering iron at some point, as well. Still using the cheap Parts Express/Stahl model. It does it's job, so will wait until it croaks. On my second one in 20 years so I am overall happy with the $20 price tag.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I just ordered a little solder pot to help me tin wires. Will need to upgrade my soldering iron at some point, as well. Still using the cheap Parts Express/Stahl model. It does it's job, so will wait until it croaks. On my second one in 20 years so I am overall happy with the $20 price tag.

Curious as to which solder pot you ordered, and will this work with coils - i.e. tin and remove the protective coating?

• https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V161KKH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

I will test on a coil - I have had mixed success in the past trying to use solder to strip the enamel. A sharp pocket knife makes short work of it, though.

Tom_S
    I have a signature.
  • That was fast. All the way from Holland in about 10 days! Good luck with the project!
    :+1:

• For inductors I have found that if I take a strip of coating off one side the heat/solder will do the rest.
    I have the same solder pot but have not used it.

Steve_Lee
  • Solder pot sounded interesting for a second. Then I remembered I'm FAR too clumsy to have a pot of molten metal nearby for any length of time.

6thplanetugly_woofer
  • @jr@mac said:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V161KKH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

I will test on a coil - I have had mixed success in the past trying to use solder to strip the enamel. A sharp pocket knife makes short work of it, though.

The gas stove burner and a little sand paper takes enamel right off.

tajanes
  • Gas stove.... lucky you.