Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Allman Brothers guitarist Dickey Betts dies

Allman Brothers guitarist Dickey Betts dies aged 80: Musician best known for group's hit song Ramblin' Man passed away 'peacefully' at Florida home
Guitarist Dickey Betts died at the age of 80 in his Florida home on Thursday
Betts wrote some of the band's most famous songs including Ramblin' Man
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/usshowbiz/article-13324471/Allman-Brothers-guitarist-Dickey-Betts-dies-aged-80.html

6thplanetSteve_LeeGeoffMillar

Comments

• Damn.

• Love that gold top Les Paul

• That's sad, but he leaves a great legacy.

ABB's Live at Fillmore East is marvellous, but I love his solo on 'Blue Sky' where he and Duane alternate lead:

Geoff

• Sad indeed

• Totally awesome song writing and performance. JMHO but younger people these days who think Taylor Swift is good at song writing "don't know half of what they think they know" (quote from the movie Christine).

Nicholas_23Steve_LeeGeoffMillar6thplanetTom_STurn2
  • The Allman Brothers were the first real concert I ever went to, sometime in the early '90s, so, past their prime, but man it was a killer show.

• edited April 20

Alice Cooper's 1972 "Killer" tour was my 1st [and . . . disturbing] concert attendance which made me question the social structure/mental health of this planet and have yet to be dissuaded from that ongoing question.

"The Ballad of Dwight Fry" still haunts me today --->

(But as far as song writing and story telling in lyrics goes, it was epic).

=)

6thplanet
  • He's made a 180 degree turn from those early days of shock rock stuff and drug use. Met him a number of years ago. Super intelligent, gracious, and witty guy! Nothing like his early stage persona.

tajanesSteve_Lee6thplanet
  • Alice also has a Masters degree in some scientific field. I think it's Physics, but don't quote me on that.
    Very intelligent guy.

My favorite album from him is "The Last Temptation".