Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Drum Mix Test - Feedback Requested . . . .

edited April 21 in Related

OK, I am feeling a little froggy of late and started playing/experimenting again on my drums and am checking to see how this drum kit/mix sounds upon your audio systems.

Sounds great here (don't pay attention to the rusty man and his timing on the kit) but let me know how the mix comes across on your listening devices, please.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ohdaj9847lm04icquinp9/Till-Tomorrow-SJL-Drum-Test-4-21-2024-01-Short.flac?rlkey=u2xhs1rit507j2qgbpinhh7cm&dl=0

Thanks!

Comments

• Sounds really good. I really love the toms sound. The reverb/room sound pushes the snare back a bit and I'm not hearing much tone. But it's all so subjective and there are so many variations for drum sounds. I've always loved the classic Ludwig Supraphonic snare with a coated Remo and a little Moon Gel. Others love that open, high pitched piccolo snare sound.

I went to see some friends play at a dance hall a few years ago. The kick drum sounded amazing. The perfect blend of punch & tone. In between sets, my friend who was running sound went up on stage and moved the mic about an inch into the drum, saying it wasn't in the right place for the first set. The 2nd set started and that killer kick drum sound was gone. :/

• edited April 21

Thanks Tom - the snare is just too loud [here] so I reduced its sensitivity - I am heavy handed upon it and especially with rim-shots - this just sounded the best/most even-balanced here. (Celestion CX10 Coaxes) crossed to a 12" sub @145Hz in a dead room.

Is the bass drum too loud? - seems just a little hot here but very defined in the ~100HZ region - not boomy at all.

Like you say, its all subjective and I try to get the speakers sounding flat using DSP and the edrums tuned life-like but it is just an effort in chasing my ass when trying satisfy others and their sound systems.

And yes - you can mess up everything depending upon where the mic's are set as well as just moving your body {ears} from one place to another in a room while listening - I really don't understand why anyone would do this stuff for a living as it is so hair pullingly tedious . . . =)

• I like the recording quality but I heard the over emphasis in the 100 Hz region too so I ran the track through my RTA with peak hold on and this is what I got.

For comparison this is what Robert Cray's The Things You Do To Me looks like. While it's not a drum track you can see the response doesn't have a large emphasis anywhere which is typical of good recordings. It does have a rising low end which is probably why it sounds good on 5 1/4" 2 ways. I used to use a Behringer EQ that had a RTA display and I could see the response of every recording I played and clearly see why a recording sounded the way it did.

Ron

Steve_Lee
  • Very useful feedback there, Ron - Thanks for taking the time - I shall go make some adjustments . . .

• Ironic that this just popped up on my YouTube feed -

Steve_Lee
  • edited April 22

Ask the universe a question and it will answer you . . . =)

(Thanks, Tom).

6thplanet
  • Yup, big brother is always listening...

The mix sounds good. I listened in my car, which is bass heavy, kick sounds fine. To me the snare has to much reverb, needs to cut a bit more. Level wise, maybe a smidge light. Dropping most of the reverb would probably do it.

Steve_Lee
  • Rerecorded after applying all suggested settings as applicable - kept it tighter and more simple.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5lc7ryt5lk52svadpwzuz/Till-Tomorrow_SJL-Drum-Mix_4-26-2024.mp3?rlkey=dz31x45bw2u043p1eb4o1tawf&dl=0

Let me know how it sounds now please so I can move-onto new grooves & thanks for the feedback.

• Last effort upon this one today with great timing improvements if you are interested - drums are more laid-back in the mix and tighter sounding --> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8ojbhbvfb0yx3v36pyz6u/Till-Tomorrow-SJL-Drum-Mix_4-28-2024.mp3?rlkey=tsf17f5d655br8k3jo8sjhgx9&dl=0

Thanks for the useful feedback thus far - it has been helpful.

Best!

Steev!

:)

• edited May 3

Found some of my rhythm/timing drifts on the back 1/2 of this tune and fixed them so, this is my last cut at this - The feedback concerning the kick drum has been mixed from "it is fine" to "too hot" depending on the playback device so this mix was the least objectionable for all who responded.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dperlnkdb2lspxtfn0xuc/Till-Tomorrow-SJL-Drum-Mix_5-3-2024.mp3?rlkey=thnz3iq8nxv648c3yyg6byshd&dl=0

Pressure washing and painting the house take front seat/attention next . . .

6thplanet
  • That's pretty good sounding! If I had to nitpick, the kick blends in with the bass to much. Like they're tuned the same and the impact of the kick isn't high enough to always discern it. Could just be the system in my car, it is bass heavy.
    That tune makes me think of cruising in the rain through downtown.

• Your written observation is quite spot-on and welcomed, Eric - I am trying to fit-in/blend in an organic sense like I was actually a part of the percussion team [on that tune] and maybe I need to add some off-key tone to the bass drum with a bit more depth?

(Do you hear the windshield wipers slapping out the beat while the shuffle/swing of the rhythm sounds like rain pounding upon the roof?)

I get it.

;)