Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Omni mic CD player for measurements?

For you Omni mic users what are using for playing the Omni mic CD? Digital something to DAC? Dedicated CD player? Blu Ray? DVD? I'm using a cheap Sony Blu Ray coax out to my DAC and have noticed I get a 10K-ish spike in my distortion measurements.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails

Comments

• I use the Sony BluRay/DVD/CD player I've had since 2009. I use the optical out because my Anthem preamp has a topend rolloff via digicoax. XLR to my Crown XLS1500.

Jeff used a small simple Sony DVD player to an Audiosource amp for his portable rig in an old camcorder case. He was especially enamored that the cheap player had such flat response.

• Dedicated CD player. No distortion spikes around 10k for me.

• What CD player are you using?

• The five minutes I used omnimic, I just played straight off the PC I was using for measurements 🤔

I have a signature.
  • JR what is the measurement system you use?

• I use an Oppo to a Nad M51 day, or straight off a pc.

• After one too many instances of a "helpful" audio chain driver turning on EQ automatically, I use a DAP to play the omnimic tracks.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Don what are you using?

• @kenrhodes said:
    JR what is the measurement system you use?

ARTA

I have a signature.
  • I just play straight from the computer.

• edited May 12

Same here - played from the measurement PC.
    However I am not playing from the CD but rather playing the audio track(s) copied to the local HDD/SSD.

• When using OmniMic V2:
    1) CD player: Sony DVP-NC685V SACD/DVD/CD player using the original disc of test tracks that was supplied with OmniMic.
    2) Amp: KLH KL-2400 (100wpc)
    3) Laptop: HP G62 i3 with Win7 64bit operating system installed
    4) Software: OmniMic V2 version 5.2 installed

I feed the analog RCA outputs of the Sony DVP-NC685V to the analog RCA inputs of the KLH KL-2400 for all testing. I do not have a 10kHz spiking problem, to my knowledge. I have had problems using the laptop's CD/DVD drive to play the test tracks, so I always use the Sony player. I have also had problems with low frequency roll off when trying to use the cheap little Lepai 2020 digital amplifier, so I always use the analog KLH amp.

rjj45
  • edited May 12

@jhollander said:
    Don what are you using?

I have used a variety of DAPS - started with a FIIO F1? about 10 years ago, moved to a HibyR3 about 5 years ago - really liked that one, and now got a $80 no name Chinese DAP from Ebay that works ok. What I found is that crossover prototyping and measurement is a high risk environment for DAPS. Easy to touch an RCA to a power terminal.....
    also usually use an APA150 amp, blew up several Class D amps in the same situation. Love the robustness of a good Class A/B amp.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Oppo DVD player to a Classe Audio preamp to whichever amp is hooked up (usually Yamaha x5000 or Adcom GFA555) For portable, Jeff's aforementioned Sony. The Audiosource amp died, so I use either a Dayton APA150 or Emotiva 100

• @kenrhodes said:
    JR what is the measurement system you use?

Sorry, PC out to APA150, and I use the Omnimic mic. The Omnimic specs are input into ARTA and yields SPL accurate measurements. There is a forum post out there about how to do that, works like a charm.

I have a signature.