Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Cool vacation places

2»

Comments

• edited May 24

For many years, the Monaco F1 race has really been a procession without overtaking and quite boring.

Really, unless the car breaks or the driver makes a mistake, the first to the first corner wins.

When you see the old videos, there's a lot more overtaking and the racing's much more interesting; it's great to see the transition from front to mid-engine cars, with little Coopers and Lotuses versus Ferraris and Maseratis.

Cars slide all over the place on skinny tyres and great drivers like Graham Hill and Emerson Fittipaldi shine. Have a look at the 1970 race where Jack Brabham came up through the field, only to make a mistake on the very last corner and hand victory to Jochen Rindt. Jack first won there in 1959!

The saving grace is that the cars are much, much safer these days and I don't think there has been a F1 fatality there since Lorenzo Bandini in 1967.

As Robert Mitchell put it on 'Would I Lie to You': "televised traffic".

However, I'd still love to see and hear the historic races, so many different cars and engines.

Geoff

tajanes6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • For most races, the qualies are critical, more so for the Monaco. ~2/5ths overtaking here vs some other circuits. Can’t beat the days of Jim Clark / Lotus 25 days for the spectators (not so much for the safety of the drivers).

• I wish traffic moved like that!

• edited May 25

For a petrol head and aviation nut, the Smithsonian museums in DC and Dulles Airport are fantastic; likewise the various museums around England. Beyond cool.

We went to the 2012 'Golden jubilee' airshow at Duxford, which was great; as well as the static exhibits and theme hangars, the flying included the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight with the Lancaster, a demonstration by "Sally B", their B-17, as well as many Spitfires, P-51 Mustangs, Hurricanes and Harvards/Texans. IIRC there was also a P-47 Thunderbolt, some great sounding 1930s Hawker biplanes and a display by a Hawker Hunter, probably the most beautiful jet aircraft ever built.

I've never been to Oshkosh, but it has the reputation as the best vintage airshow in the world. Some time ago I think there was a fly-in by around 20 DC-3s and C-47s which would have been something to behold.

Even the smallest facilities can have surprises, for example, the tiny air museum in Ballarat (Vic) has a rocket motor from a Me163 fighter and the larger Moorabbin Museum has Fidel Castro's Viscount airliner.

Possibly the most well known natural attractions in Victoria, my home State, are the 'Penguin Parade' at Phillip Island (also home to a great race circuit) and the Twelve Apostles, a collection of massive natural sandstone structures on the Great Ocean Road. Part of 'London Bridge', one of those structures, fell into the sea while a couple were standing on one end of it - most embarrassing for them as they were playing away from their spouses.

Geoff

tajanes
  • @tajanes said:
    For most races, the qualies are critical, more so for the Monaco. ~2/5ths overtaking here vs some other circuits. Can’t beat the days of Jim Clark / Lotus 25 days for the spectators (not so much for the safety of the drivers).

Wow! What a Lap 1!

• Rather a demolition Derby, shows just how narrow the track is for today's cars; also shows how safe the cars are these days.

Geoff

• Yes for sure!

Indy 500 had quite an exciting finish!

• Thanks, will check it out

Geoff

• edited May 27

I feel lucky to have gone to the 500 twice, quite an experience visiting the track many of us grew up watching as kids on TV. (Billy Preston’s inspiration? Will it go round in circles😆) And, the interior was pretty crazy.

Won 13 times by F1 drivers. Interesting Mario Andretti, Indy fame driver that won also in F1 is pushing to get a US / Gov’t Motors slot into F1. Would be interesting to see.

• 👍🏻 for Ferrari.
    I tried running Monaco on my sim with the F1 game. Frustrating to say the least.

• Yay not Red Bull (ie Max)!

• And I feel bad for O'Ward but I think he messed up the timing on his last pass attempt. Kyle Larson did great considering it was his first ever race in an Indy Car. He would have been in the top 10 if not for that mistake entering the pits.

• edited May 27

@6thplanet said:
    I tried running Monaco on my sim with the F1 game. Frustrating to say the least.

Is that Sierras "Grand Prix Legends"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_Legends

An excellent, if very hard to learn simulation (not a game) of the 1967 F1 season, with 3 litre engines, not much grip and authentic tracks. It's an old piece of software and worked on Windows 7, but not sure about 10/11.

There's a great support community which has more realistic cars, sounds and much better graphics than the original.

It has a steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's great.

Geoff

• edited May 28

No PS4, F1 2021
    Much respect for driving like they do with the view they have from the cockpit.

• A short video on the 1967 cars in Grand Prix Legends: you will crash many times but it's well worth perservering

Geoff

• A late uncle of mine lived in Sun City, AZ and used to have a great time delivering and picking up rental cars: he'd been all over the States but his favourite spot was the Yellowstone National Park. We didn't have time to go there but it's truly spectacular in photos, so to visit must be great.

Geoff

• @GeoffMillar said:
    A late uncle of mine lived in Sun City, AZ and used to have a great time delivering and picking up rental cars: he'd been all over the States but his favourite spot was the Yellowstone National Park. We didn't have time to go there but it's truly spectacular in photos, so to visit must be great.

Geoff

In 1974 I and two college friends took a camping trip in my VW Super Beatle to Yellowstone and then on to Glacier Park in Montana. We regretted the time we spent in Yellowstone.

Renee, Ron and Pam at Lake Yellowstone

Camping in Montana on the way to Glacier. Pam my girl friend and the VW.

Old color shifted picture of the trail near Logins pass.

Picture of Going To The Sun road with hiking path heading to Logins pass

Yellowstone is cool, Glacier is spectacular.

Going To The Sun road photo Flickr page.
    https://flickr.com/photos/glaciernps/albums/72157657446658275/with/24618307339

Ron

Steve_LeeGeoffMillarBilletColonel76thplanetTurn2jr@macScottS
  • Far out Man!

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • edited May 30

I find the Black Hills to offer endless scenery, touristry things, and overall great experience. I have been going there for years and feel I have yet to explore the vast majority of it. Plus Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Both of them are fairly impressive. Throw in the legit wild west component and it becomes a snapshot of American history that in and of itself would take a lifetime to experience.

There is a 100+ mile hiking trail that runs N to S called the Mickelson Trail. It follows old rail lines etc, and is something I never intend on doing but it is apparently a life experience for those that are capable of doing the walk.

In fact, my entire state offers quite a few areas that are outstanding. The Badlands, for example. Nothing else like it in the US. Some other badlands here and there come close, but damn. Has to be seen to be believed.

The Missouri River valley is also amazing - there is a highway that runs along the left bank for quite a few miles that offers outstanding scenery.

In the Eastern part of the state we have a hilly region that extends from the NoDak border to just South of Sioux Falls. Actually a moraine left behind when glaciers retreated. It is called "coteau des prairie". Along the edge of the moraine there are views across the prairie that are spectacular - and gives you a 30 mile shot using your camera. Plenty of history on the East side of the state, as well.

I have been to Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, and several other areas of the Rockies and found them beautiful and even awe inspiring - but the view from the summit of Black Elk peak in the Black Hills is just as amazing as you can see east up to 50 miles away. The hike to the top and back is about 8 miles but is an easy climb. Been up there several times.

In summary - it is my opinion we all live in states that offer opportunity for life experiences without traveling long distances, depending on what makes you happy.

Colonel7
    I have a signature.
  • we'll be doing the Black Hills in SoDak for the 4th of July week. Going to go west through North Dakota, Theodore Rosevelt NP, Devil's Tower, Black Hills/Custer Area, then back through Rapid City/Mt Rushmore, halt for a couple of days in Badlands - the Badlands Astronomy festival is also in that weekend and back to Minneapolis.

Last Weekend was in Omaha for the Zoo - the kids enjoyed it a lot, and we drove through Loess hills (border of Iowa and Nebraska), stopped at a couple of places for lewis and clark trail markers, evenings we ended up at Desoto Wildlife Refuge for late evening/golden light birding - A lot to see if you avoid the Interstate and take the byways, but with GPS and the need to get to desitinations in a hurry puts us back on the I's

Turn2
  • edited May 30

Loess hills is beautiful. Neat windy roads. We almost always take that drive on our way home from Ankeny.

ani_101
    I have a signature.