Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Theoretical fun summer project...

So last night in the throes of insomnia, I took a couple of old DIY books off the shelf:

Both feature projects using the RS 6.5" poly woofer and the dome tweeter, in the first book they use the RS off-the-shelf 2-way crossover, in the second book the same drivers receive a custom crossover however I doubt it is optimized to todays standards.

Been pondering this all day - I think I will build both projects (have all the parts to do so) plus a third iteration using my own measurements and XO design approach. Same cabinet, same baffle.

I built the first project as a tower in the mid-90s so am curious to see how that measures although I suspect not well lol.

Anyways, how about some summer fun? Whaddya guys think?

I have a signature.
kenrhodessilverDtajanesWolfSilver1omo6thplanetAnalogkid455

Comments

• kenrhodesugly_woofer6thplanetScottS4thtryAnalogkid455
    I have a signature.
  • I too have a pair of those multi-tap XO's from RS.
    I say go for it and tell us what you come up with.

• Sounds like fun.

• I think I still have a pair or 2 of those tweeters somewhere. Definitely have ferro fluid. I took one apart one time to verify.

• The first speaker I ever built was the two way project from the first book. I built those around 1990 as lab speakers when I was in college. I eventually blew one of the woofers, but still have the tweeters.

My first real attempt at speaker design was dropping a Peerless woofer and Vifa tweeter into those cabinets and trying to figure out the crossover.

jr@macugly_wooferSteve_Lee6thplanet4thtryAnalogkid455
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I have a pair of these as well. Bought them for an auto sound project that never got off the ground. NIB, never mounted. Spec sheet date is 1995. Stamp on magnet says "Malaysia". Both have factory supplied 3.3uF NPE caps soldered to one terminal. I ran an impedance curve a few minutes ago and they both have good voice coils. Don't know if the FF has dried out, maybe you can guess this by looking at the free air resonance (1579 & 1570Hz). The two Z curves seem to match quite well.

6thplanet
  • I bought all my Radio Shack drivers in the late 70's early 80's. First crossover was using David Weem's look up graphs for the 2nd order crossovers (textbook formulas). As I remember they sounded better than my Panasonic Thrusters.

• edited May 20

Seems like a really cool project for funsies but I'd be a little concerned about the decades old ferrofluid in those tweeters. An impedance sweep on them will tell the story.

• @6thplanet said:

Who is that and what movie? Ben Stiller?

• Yes Ben, Starsky and Hutch

• 6thplanetSteve_Leejohnny5jzScottSAnalogkid4554thtry
    I have a signature.