Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Hear me out...

...next project. 8" 2-way using ultra budget drivers. I have 8" GRS poly on the shelf, and a pair of Vifa/Tympany/Peerless BC25SG tweeters. I think will be a good combo for a budget build. If I want some reproducible, I will go with the Dayton silkie.

Anyways, nice sealed cabinet and simple crossover is the goal here.

I may crank out cabinets this next week and see what's up.

I have a signature.
Tom_Sugly_wooferkenrhodeshifisideMikeJennensrjj45

Comments

• @jr@mac said:
    If I want some reproducible, I will go with the Dayton silkie.

Or consider the ND28F-6 which Craig S. used recently and liked and is down to about $13 (I think it was about $22 not long ago when Craig used it which was about Silkie price range.)

• @a4eaudio said:

@jr@mac said:
    If I want some reproducible, I will go with the Dayton silkie.

Or consider the ND28F-6 which Craig S. used recently and liked and is down to about $13 (I think it was about $22 not long ago when Craig used it which was about Silkie price range.)

Read too many horror stories about those being out of spec, so I'll pass.

I have a signature.
  • The Hitmakers say that the BC25SG is a great place to be with a >6" 2-way. They won't disappear overnight. Do it.

• @Turn2 said:
    The Hitmakers say that the BC25SG is a great place to be with a >6" 2-way. They won't disappear overnight. Do it.

I've used it several times over the last 15 years.

I have a signature.
  • edited June 15

Have used it, or the non shielded version in several builds including the Classix II, two ways with the 830656 and SDS160 and Michael Chua's 'Lark SM' with a SB16pfc - I like that Vifa a lot and in Oz it's about the cheapest nice tweeter you can get.

Not sure how it will go in a 8" two way, where would you cross it? Of those builds, the Larks have the lowest XO point - around 1,700Hz I think but they're designed as a monitor for near field listening.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/good-candidate-for-nearfield-monitor-speakers-for-mixing-modern-music.391488/

Geoff

• Near field is just a buzzword.
    I am very familiar with the ins and outs of this tweeter.

I have a signature.
  • Thought you had some other builds to figure out first

• Have you ever thought of using a full range driver in place of a tweeter?

• Hey Mike, long time!
    No, I'm not generally a fan of that approach.

I have a signature.
  • I'm going to repurpose the Insomniacs cabinet - just cut a new baffle for them. They are about 1.5 cubic feet which should yield an F3 of around 50Hz with a 1.5db peak centered around 84Hz.

Excursion limited, but should still work at normal listening volumes.

Alternatively, it won't take long to rip out a new set of cabinets using the Menards shelving. If that turns out to be the case, I might go for a tower of 2.5 cubic feet, which yields an F3 of 47Hz, so not a significant improvement so not likely to happen.

For shits and giggles, a 2.5 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 40Hz yields an F3 of 33Hz, but has a 5.5db peak at 65Hz. Would be fun for a while, and likely have some serious "slam" due to the peaking but I imagine would get old after awhile.

Fun project. The GRS has an upper end roll-off that should be easy enough to tame, possibly even with a single inductor. The tweeter is easy enough to work with. Will be a simple enough build for newbies to throw together. Might not even flush mount the drivers. Offset the tweeter. Both things I normally disagree with but offsetting the tweeter simplifies things in the crossover at the expense of some errata in the off-axis.

Anyways, insomnia strikes again. Received a 11:30 phone call from my kid, she was crying. Apparently the upstairs neighbor was making a lot of noise so she called in a noise complaint. After the cops left, this person came downstairs and pounded on her door, calling her names and overall just trying to be intimidating. I am a little worried, but I imagine after he sobers up he might feel like shit about it. Either way, I think Mrs. JR and I will be having them move in with us until they can save up enough money for a nicer place.

Life is complicated sometimes.

Analogkid455
    I have a signature.
  • Really sorry to hear of this trouble for your daughter and now you, JR.
    The one thing that I have unfortunately discovered since I stopped working inside a company that was very selective about the types of people they hire after 25+ years with them is just how badly the general population of this planet sux.

I shall refrain from an oncoming rant and wish the best for you all.

Keep us posted concerning your build and your daughter's hopefully improving situation - I have a sister like that that neighbor . . .

• The move-in has already commented. Nice to have them around, and they are both gamers so appreciate the big TV and sound system.

I have a signature.
  • It has been approximately three months and we have all adjusted to the life. I actually like having them here as they are doing chores and grocery shopping. Leaves me more time for music and beer😏

6thplanetrjj45Steve_LeeAnalogkid455ScottSMartyH
    I have a signature.