Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Boston Acoustics

Is Boston Acoustics going under?

Comments

• edited June 22

A quick search reveals that it was bought by D and M Holdings, which owns Denon and Marantz, but apparently there will not be any new Boston Acoustics projects. My PC speakers are BA Digital Media Theatre, and very good they are, too: 20 watts RMS, with 3" satellites and a 5" sub.

Geoff

• Ya really don't hear much about Boston Acoustics. A buddy has a set of A100's, they sounded nice.

• That's sad to hear they mothballed the brand. I bought a pair of A70s in college. Not the greatest speaker in the world, but a step up from the Realistic speakers I had at the time.

rjj45
  • I always placed them in the same kind of ballpark as NHT. No frills, great performance, decent price.

6thplanetrjj45
  • Having owned a pair of NHT towers, I may have to disagree that BA was in the same ballpark. They really know what they are doing over there at NHT and it showed. They were being sold alongside BA, Canton, and a few other brands and there was just no comparison despite the similar price tags. Were my ST-4 the be-all and end-all? Absolutely not, but their earlier offerings especially were extremely good for the time. Ken Kantor and his protege Jack know a thing or two about designing speakers.

Kornbreadrjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Have to agree with Jr. I've owned Bostons and still own a couple NHT2.5i. In terms of sound quality, the Bostons are not comparable to the NHT.

• Agreed that Ken was no slouch.

• @Wolf said:
    Agreed that Ken was no slouch.

Ben, you're so sweet. ;)

6thplanetWolfSteve_Leeugly_woofer
  • What did Chevy Chase say about that in Caddyshack?

• Don't sell yourself short, you're a tremendous slouch.

jr@mackenrhodesPWRRYDjholtzSteve_Leeugly_woofer
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • On a total side note... I run into people around the same age as me that have never seen Caddy Shack, Smokey and the Bandit, Blazing Saddles, The Blues Brothers, Stripes, Airplane, etc. I realize those are all rated R but I remember catching "edited for content and language" versions on regular over the air TV... classics I say!

Tom_Sjholtzrjj45Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • edited June 26

Spaceballs, Gremlins, and Goonies too!

BTW, I've only seen half that list, Craig.

• Yep all classics. Make me laugh every time... And don't call me Shirley.

PWRRYD
    I have a signature.
  • The campfire scene in Blazing Saddles all eating beans....Mongo punching out the horse....This is my shooting hand...

Not trying to stray too far, has anyone else loved the Trinity spaghetti westerns? Recommended...

Steve_Lee
  • @Wolf said:
    Spaceballs, Gremlins, and Goonies too!

BTW, I've only seen half that list, Craig.

Spaceballs for sure as it is super funny and has John Candy in it. But Gremlins and Goonies? I've never seen either of those movies but aren't they both fantasy movies for little kids?

• We were all kids once

jr@mac
  • Young Frankenstein is still one of my all-time favorites!

jr@mac
  • I love the Trinity westerns, and don't forget Slap shot.

jr@mac
  • You can't tell me that Indiana Jones and Back to the Future aren't for kids, and most everyone loves those.

I'll have to check out Slapshot.....

• ...and while we are at it...
    Some of my favorite movies as a kid... noting that I can remember when VCRs came out...
    The Never Ending Story
    Roger Rabbit
    Short Circuit
    Star Wars (all)
    Labyrinth
    The Dark Crystal

• The VCR was invented in 1956. Became affordable in the early 70s.

jr@macWolf
  • @kenrhodes said:
    ... Became affordable in the early 70s.

We couldn't afford a VCR in the 80's but every other Friday night my mom would order Domino's Pizza and rent a VCR for us from the local movie rental store. Then she'd head to work, she worked the night shift as an ER nurse because it paid an extra few bucks an hour. When we moved to the big city (Nashville suburbs) the movie selection increased tremendously with a local Blockbuster that also rented Nintendo 64's and games.

kenrhodes
  • edited June 27

We also rented players , I remember the first one we rented was a beta player with a wired remote. Man us kids were living in high cotton back then ! The place also sold those jiffy pop , stove top popcorn pan tin things that we would grab. Then we got a microwave and bought the other stuff from the video store, I think it was called ACT II. What a time to be alive ! How I miss those days.

6thplanetjhollander
  • Wow, never thought VCRs were that old. I guess i should say i remember when family members started getting them around 1982. One Aunt had the old Quasar pop-top like shown on the Goldbergs. That thing ran a long time....

• @Nicholas_23 said:
    ...Then we got a microwave and bought the other stuff from the video store, I think it was called ACT II. What a time to be alive ! How I miss those days.

Those days: renting movies, playing video games, microwaving popcorn, ...

These days: paying off student loans, paying off kid's student loans, making car payments, paying the mortgage, paying Parts Express for drivers, paying Madisound for drivers, ...

Act II....https://www.walmart.com/ip/Act-II-Butter-Lovers-Microwave-Popcorn-2-75-oz-6-Count/105104949?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=1923&gclsrc=aw.ds&adid=22222222278105104949_161193766053_21214199653&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=697173827980&wl4=pla-2300760861495&wl5=9052681&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=105104949&veh=sem_LIA&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw-O6zBhASEiwAOHeGxTGgXdCuBAK3dxdMntN2gjevUE1QgwpjqQrCGKSnAREQyJfzrJklsRoCc-sQAvD_BwE

Nicholas_23
  • Guess I'll join in on the derail....
    I was lucky my dad was in to the high tech stuff, and mom allowed it. We had VHS, but before that we had a video disk player. The ones where you insert the cartridge and it takes the disk from it and spits the case back out, then half way through the video you had to reinsert the case remove it, flip it over then reinsert and remove the case again. 🤦🏻‍♂️ If your geeky about stuff, look up the tech that it used to make it all work, holy shit!
    We didn't have cable, parents didn't want to pay the monthly fee, so they bought a satellite dish, like the big ass 9-10' deals. Then a descrambler when companies started cracking down on programs.
    I remember my dad bringing home a CD player from Radio shack when those came out. To go with his hifi set up of a Fisher receiver, reel to reel, and the Sansui speakers I brought up to the Indy meet. .... lucky I was....

kenrhodesWolfNicholas_23
  • @6thplanet said:
    the Sansui speakers I brought up to the Indy meet. .... lucky I was....

Which Sansui speakers?

• I thought I had a pic of them there, but all found was this one. They are SP1000. Craig also brought a pair of SP70s? a neighbor gave him that year. He gave those to me.

• @6thplanet said:
    Guess I'll join in on the derail....

What do you mean by "derail"...surely it was expected that a post about Boston Acoustics would cover the History of VHS and the Gremlins... =)

6thplanetkenrhodesSteve_Lee
  • Yup

...and for the record I love the Goonies!!