Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

A dome tweeter that will do 115 db a pair

I am modeling a new design with two AC200MK2 woofers per side and twp AC120CK50 for mids. WinISD says they will do 118 db a pair. I was hoping to use a regular dome tweeter with them. Probably crossed over at 2.2khz- 2.5khz. Maybe 4th order. Thoughts?

Comments

• Ld25x might be a contender as well as the SB26STWGC-4. I don't know the power rating on the CSS tweeter, XBL should help.

Analogkid455
  • edited June 28

I would be careful judging AC drivers from spec sheet models. If you have not measured them, forget it. I've known several people that have had different specs than the mfr spec sheet states. @6thplanet for one...

That said, horn jobbies would help, like the CAT378, Peerless H26, or a ribbon/planar type.

• a 2.5Khz Fc rules out a lot of ribbons, but a good AMT (Airborne 5002) or a Heil AMT should work .

Analogkid455
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @Wolf said:
    I would be careful judging AC drivers from spec sheet models. If you have not measured them, forget it. I've known several people that have had different specs than the mfr spec sheet states. @6thplanet for one...

That said, horn jobbies would help, like the CAT378, Peerless H26, or a ribbon/planar type.

I have specs from running DATS. They are very different than what AC says. Better, really.

• I wanted to stay away from ribbons. Not a fan. At least the ones I have heard. Some are ok but the vertical dispersion really sucks.

rjj45
  • edited June 28

I'm thinking something like B&C DE250 in an ME10.
    I have heard polyamide CDs tend to have a soft dome like sound at least.

Billet
  • Maybe...??
    Satori TW29DN-B 96db
    SB Acoustics SB29RDNC-C000-4 94db

Analogkid455
  • @a4eaudio said:
    Maybe...??
    Satori TW29DN-B 96db
    SB Acoustics SB29RDNC-C000-4 94db

Yes, I was looking at these. Some of a very few that I thought might be able to do it.

• edited June 28

Got any beastmodes lying around? A budget alternative if you can forgive the last couple db.

• @Analogkid455 said:
    ...WinISD says they will do 118 db a pair.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think WinISD models SPL in 2 pi (i.e., infinite baffle) so with baffle step loss you may be okay with a 112db tweeter. Not a huge deal, but might allow a few more tweeters make the list.

Analogkid455
  • Two woofers? Two mids? What about two tweeters? That would simplify high SPL's a bit...

• @Billet said:
    Two woofers? Two mids? What about two tweeters? That would simplify high SPL's a bit...

If it was that easy, I would do it but pretty sure I would have comb filtering.

• @hifiside said:
    Is this a mtm?

Yes. With the two woofers at the bottom. Which, I thought, even if I did use a big ribbon, planar or AMT, the center to center distance might not work out to good.

• Powers cheap these days, why the efficiency?

• @a4eaudio said:

@Analogkid455 said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think WinISD models SPL in 2 pi (i.e., infinite baffle) so with baffle step loss you may be okay with a 112db tweeter. Not a huge deal, but might allow a few more tweeters make the list.

I always wondered about that because when I used my own math on it, I came up with different numbers. Still, I used WinISD to model another project and it said it would do 117 a pair. I never played them that loud because once I hit 108 db with one speaker, it was just to loud to stand for me for very long. Basically, I want something that will meet THX standards which is 105 db at 12 ft. This project will be a much smaller tower speaker, as the other ones are 3 cubic feet.

rjj45
  • edited June 28

@Analogkid455 said:

@a4eaudio said:

@Analogkid455 said:

I always wondered about that because when I used my own math on it, I came up with different numbers. Still, I used WinISD to model another project and it said it would do 117 a pair. I never played them that loud because once I hit 108 db with one speaker, it was just to loud to stand for me for very long. Basically, I want something that will meet THX standards which is 105 db at 12 ft. This project will be a much smaller tower speaker, as the other ones are 3 cubic feet.

BTW, that one speaker was 12 ft away and still sounded super clean and the drivers were barely moving! The eight 6.5" woofers have almost as much cone area as a 18" woofer. Of course with just the one speaker I was listening to, with four 6.5" woofers, still have more cone area of a 12" woofer.

• Just off the top of my head I don't know of any dome tweeter that would be happy playing that loud unless it was maybe crossed at or greater than 5kHz.

• The Wavecor Cermidome would keep up, those are super sensitive.

Analogkid455
  • Not familiar with those Ben. Can't find them at PE or Madisound. Any links?

• edited June 29

Wavecor TW045WA01, the cone/dome tweeters in my Anomalies build.
    Solen sells them.

• Ah! I always forget about Solen.

• edited June 29

@Wolf said:
    Wavecor TW045WA01, the cone/dome tweeters in my Anomalies build.
    Solen sells them.

Those look very interesting and promising. I very well may go with those.

• There is a WA02 that is black AlMg, and cheaper than the ceramic.

Analogkid455
  • edited June 29

@Wolf said:
    There is a WA02 that is black AlMg, and cheaper than the ceramic.

I saw that. Out of stock right now. But I also found this.
    https://solen.ca/en/products/bliesma-t34a-4-tweeter-aluminum-magnesium-dome-tweeter

1.5 mm xmax 96 db 1 watt.

Steve_Lee
  • Bliesmas are not inexpensive, but would likely do the job too.

Analogkid455
  • @Wolf said:
    Bliesmas are not inexpensive, but would likely do the job too.

Yeah, these are about 350 a piece. I have the T25B tweeters and love them.
    I have been mulling over the other suggestions, still. Quite a few to choose from. There are two that are under 100 that look pretty good. Just trying to decide how much I want to spend, lol!

• Ain't that the truth!

Analogkid455
  • edited July 2

What sort of vertical dispersion is acceptable for you?

These look interesting for ribbon/planers and have 60* vertical dispersion and loud as can be - cheap, too.
    Driver:
    https://www.usspeaker.com/radian LT2.2-1.htm

Horn:
    https://www.usspeaker.com/radian LT2.2-wg-1.htm

Look at the rest of those Radian planers too - lots to choose from and surprisingly affordable . . .

Analogkid455