Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

A dome tweeter that will do 115 db a pair

2»

Comments

• edited July 21

Those AC200mkII feature good sensitivity and a pair will do 118dB in 2pi according to my sims too. High sensitivity in a relatively small box but as anticipated the trade off for all this is F3/F6/F10 of 50/44/37 anechoic. Subtract 4-6dB for baffle step losses and we’re still talking 112-114dB each speaker, which is just crackers in a home environment.

But what I’ve found is that the musical spectrum has a lot less treble than bass and so you can probably get away with a tweeter that does 110dB in 4 pi instead of 112-114… That will open up the options considerably. Look for a tweeter that does ~95dB/2.83V.

I’ve verified that the 1” DX or XT BG60 are capable of 110dB sustained in log sine sweeps.

Steve_LeeAnalogkid455
  • As I recall, the spec on the AC200 were off too. Pretty sure, Scott used them in his 3way towers with the TB 3" domes.

Analogkid455
  • @Wolf said:
    As I recall, the spec on the AC200 were off too. Pretty sure, Scott used them in his 3way towers with the TB 3" domes.

Yes, I got fs 32hz qts .33 vas 36 l.
    Does Scott have a build thread?

• Lookup Sehlin Sound Solutions, should be there.

• edited July 22

Sometimes I find differences in TS parameters, but when modelling with them, the cabinets turn out to be very similar.

Other times there are differences that affect the simulation significantly ie. >20% change in cabinet volume or port turning frequency.

@Analogkid455
    Do your winISD models differ when you used your measured TSP vs data sheets?
    If so, how?

Paging @ScottS
    Have you used this woofer?

• @tktran said:
    Sometimes I find differences in TS parameters, but when modelling with them, the cabinets turn out to be very similar.

Other times there are differences that affect the simulation significantly ie. >20% change in cabinet volume or port turning frequency.

@Analogkid455
    Do your winISD models differ when you used your measured TSP vs data sheets?
    If so, how?

Paging @ScottS
    Have you used this woofer?

Most of the time it's pretty close for me but the AC200MK2 was quite a bit off.

• Your measurements are near identical to Zaph's so at least they are consistent.
    http://www.zaphaudio.com/8test/compare.html

• @DrewsBrews said:
    Your measurements are near identical to Zaph's so at least they are consistent.
    http://www.zaphaudio.com/8test/compare.html

Nice! Didn't know he measured these.

• Mine were almost identical to Zaph's TS parameters also, which was good. The project I used them in was called "Vanadium". Mid was the Tang Band 75-1558SE and the tweeter was the Peerless OX20SC00-04. Overall, they are probably my best sounding speakers. When my audio friends come over and go through my rotation, they usually wind up coming back to them. With those parameters, they tune to around 30 Hz in a 50 liter ported cabinet.

I never published the design because shortly after I completed them the Tang Band mid went NLA (it's recently come back, but I'm not sure whether or not it is the same). Then, it was generally known that the Aurum Cantus woofers had inconsistent TS parameters. So I was pretty sure they couldn't be successfully built as a project in their original form. Here's one "hiding" behind my Manganese outdoor speakers.

I do have more details on that project if anyone is interested.

Steve_LeetktranAnalogkid4556thplanettajanesrjj454thtry
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I would like more detail. Sounds like a cool project.
    I have the new 2" version of the TB dome mids and love them. I believe the model is 50-1426SE.

• I ended up going with the Belisma T34A tweeters. It came down to that or the Textreme Satori. I had about 5 of them in the running at first. We will see how they do.

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • The Tang Band 75-1558SH looks like it can manage
    an acoustic LR4 at 800Hz.

https://audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-tb-speaker-75-1558sh-high-end-home-audio-3-dome-midrange

• Did you link to the correct TWEETER, Thanh?
    Your post goes to a midrange dome, Sir.

• edited August 18

Sorry my response is in relation to Scott’s 3-way with the older 3” Tang Band dome. The OX20 is still available at PE, and if the AC200Mk2 can be found…

• OK, thanks for the clarification, man!

Best.

• @tktran said:
    Sorry my response is in relation to Scott’s 3-way with the older 3” Tang Band dome. The OX20 is still available at PE, and if the AC200Mk2 can be found…

PE says they will get some in on 10/5. I bought the last two they had in stock, a week ago.

• @ScottS

What was the sensitivity of your three-way Scott?