Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Advice for repair.

edited July 14 in DIY

Perhaps some of you remember the Continuum TL speakers that I built for a friend maybe 13-14 years ago. We'll, that friend moved.... and you can see how they arrived.

Is there an adhesive that could be injected via syringe perhaps, and then clamped to repair these? I really would prefer not to scratch build new cabs.

Any thoughts are welcome

Comments

• Superglue would be my first try if you can get good clampling pressure. I have also found that applying pressure releasing and applying again will help "pump" the glue in deeper.
    Sorry to see the damage on such a beautiful speaker.

• edited July 14

Super glue or epoxy...

I'll add, that those were my favorite rendition of the Continuums I heard over the years. This is really sad to see.

• I don't have any repair advice... but I totally agree with Ben. Those sounded fantastic when I heard them in Iowa. And your finishing skills were outstanding to boot!

• If you can clamp them so all you have is the crack you might try the glue made for chair repair. I think it's just very thin super glue made to flow into the joints in chairs. I think I picked this up at the local Menards.

PWRRYDkenrhodesrjj45Steve_LeeBillet
  • Wow. That's sad to see. Were those movers former Fedex or UPS employees?

Steve_LeeAnalogkid455
  • edited July 15

I used Tite Chairs glue on my kitchen table chairs probably 20 years ago, I haven't had a single loose joint since. I didn't do anything besides apply the glue as directed, no disassembly and reassembly required. It really does setup in seconds, I would also suggest clamping beforehand if you go this route.

Steve_Lee
  • If that was from a hit it is probably worth checking that magnets weren't dislodged.

Steve_LeeWolf
  • My opinion would be to disassemble the cabinet as far as possible then see if clamps can be used/ positioned to close the gap. If so then fill the gap with yellow glue and clamp. The yellow glue can be wiped from the surface with less chance of changing the sheen.

If you can't close the gap with clamps, back the crack with a high quality tape then fill with 2 part liquid epoxy. For cracks I like using the slow curing stuff over the quick setting because it flows in and releases trapped air. Any remaining trench can be filled with a wood filler. Likely you will have to sand and paint with this method.

Analogkid455
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Seeing that made me upset and a bit sick to my stomach all at once.

• I threw up a little bit in my mouth.

6thplanet
  • @PWRRYD said:
    I threw up a little bit in my mouth.

I'm just glad you didn't throw up in my mouth.

6thplanet
  • edited July 21

Thanks Gents. I've been distracted a bit the past week. I will check the drivers, Drewsbrews. I don't think I can pull apart the panels further. They are dyed veneer over mdf. I'm going to do what I can to repair. I really don't want to build her a whole new pair. I'd never be able to match the finish.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• edited July 21

I'll try the Chairs glue I think. The statement on the bottle "No skill required" sold me.

Tom_StajanesSteve_LeeTurn2jr@macBilletrjj45