Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Speaker damage

One of my clients called me the other day and said the speakers I made for her didn't work. One of them just made a buzzing sound and the other made no sound. So I went over to check the speakers out. I'm pretty sure the one that made no sound had the wires from the amp shorted out because when I unscrewed the binding posts there had to have been at least an inch and a half of wire stripped bare and pushed through the posts. Here is a picture of the other speaker, and it did buzz a little bit when I hooked it up but as soon as I pushed on the cone it stopped buzzing and worked. I'm thinking maybe turned up to loud or too much bass gain. It is an aluminum designer series driver.

kennyk

Comments

• Deformed cone that pulled away from the dust cover. Yeah, it got a work out. The other woofer might have got the same work out. Are the tweeters ok?
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • People will abuse things, that is for sure. Dayton does not believe in bumping back plates for some perverse reason - that would have prevented this from happening. Sad. 

That being said, spend a few bucks and throw 600-800uF in series with the crossover and help keep some of that 30Hz stuff from beating up the little woofer. 

Mzissersonsquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • Ouch! This is exactly why when a recent client asked me to consider using the dssigner series in order cut costs, i balked. I will be using drivers from MCM for that.
  • Yep, same reason I am not a fan of the RS stiff by Dayton...they are great sounding drivers, beat them even a hair and they bend, break, or VC's fry. They do not have any self-protection. As soon as you hear distirtion from them, its likely too late. 

Johnny's suggjestion for small speakers is awesome. I have addes an 800uf quite a few times....
  • Cooked a DS90 recently, think I'll add some caps. :3  
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Its sad as i have beat the hell out of the DA series, even the DS and no problem. RS180.....replaced twice so far
  • jr@mac said:
    People will abuse things, that is for sure. Dayton does not believe in bumping back plates for some perverse reason - that would have prevented this from happening. Sad. 

That being said, spend a few bucks and throw 600-800uF in series with the crossover and help keep some of that 30Hz stuff from beating up the little woofer. 

So just put the cap in series between the terminal cup and the input to the crossover right?
  • Correct
    I have a signature.