Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

135Hz Midbass Horn Seos24 Horn Setup

Hey Everyone!

Wanted to share these horns I've been working on, I initially built them last fall (like November), the midbass horn is tuned to 135hz and is a John Inlow design.  He supply's plans, I took my own take on constructing them but was able to keep them acoustically accurate to the design, they measure quite accurately to the Hornresp modeling.  They use a B&C 12PE32 12" midbass woofer, man this thing cracks, 100db efficiency, can't play bass to save it's life but it has a cone so thin it only has one side and boy does it do midrange and midbass well.

I built one first from Aruco ply and then the second from Maple ply, they are raw wood.  Each one vary a little dimensionally but they measure basically the same.

The high frequency horns are obviously DIYSG Seos 24s with the Radian 745PB 1.4" compression driver

I originally, concerned about acoustic centers, mounted the Seos 24 to the back of the horn so the voice coils of the 12" and CD were in alignment, I had them set up active and wasn't really happy with the sound, so I put them in the corner and worked on other projects.  But last week I pulled them out and did some simple passive XO for them and built some new Seos mounts and wow, I'm thrilled with how they sound!

They measure quite flat from 100-18k and I brought the CD down to give things a downward FR, the CD is about 3db quieter than the midbass for a BSC effect and warmer sound.  XO is around 550hz, 12db LR, I messed with a few configurations but ended up with a totally symmetrical XO with the same values in each, that sounded and measured the best.

Everything in the mounts are balanced (neither horn are screwed to anything), the midbass horn balances in the stand and the Seos sits securely in the base, the whole setup is quite stable and I really didn't feel like screwing holes in anything.

I sort of went "rat rod" with the XO and stands using some wood from some pallets at work that was nicely weathered.  I figured it hearkened to the old fashioned heritage of horns =)  The XO velcro to the midbass horn.

Here is a couple videos of them playing with some closeup video detail

These things sound incredible, BIG with wide and deep imaging.  They are so fast, high hats CRACK, the horns are so smooth, its a different sound than the average dome tweeter but when that sax starts playing and you close your eyes, it is eerily realistic.

Lemme know what you think, I had a blast making these and listening to them =)

thanks!
Javad

jr@macMzissersonFacekennyk4thtry

Comments

• Pretty damn epic man! 
    JavadS
  • nice. Haven't heard a horn outside of commercial. So if you happen to get these at any of the Midwest DIY's that will be swell!
    JavadS
  • I really wished we lived closer to each other so I could hear these. 

What do you have planned for the bottom end? 
  • I not a horn person, but that's got me thinking.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • ani_101 said:
    nice. Haven't heard a horn outside of commercial. So if you happen to get these at any of the Midwest DIY's that will be swell!
    Hah, yes that would be great, I do wish I lived closer, I actually priced out driving out in a van filled with speakers but it would take forever not to mention the cost of fuel.

• Face said:
    I really wished we lived closer to each other so I could hear these. 

What do you have planned for the bottom end? 
    I ran them previously with the 18" PA465S build I did but  recently sold that set of speakers to a friend (heard the SFE-812 setup one night, said he couldn't live w/o them and offered me an ungodly amount of money for them!), I have plans for a 40hz Full Length Horn (FLH) but it's freaking 6' long, uses a JBL 15", of all the speakers I've built these are the only ones my wife gives me a hard time about, she hates them! :s

I do have an Aura 18" build planned in the future so I'll have that.
    Face
  • kennyk said:
    I not a horn person, but that's got me thinking.
    Lemme know if you want to try one, they are really fun and have a sound that you have to experience, they do some thing SO much better than typical audiophile drivers.
  • That was really cool when you ran the video camera into & then back out of the bass horn.  You could clearly hear a deepening of low frequencies as the camera moved further into the horn.  It almost seemed like a doppler shift, but you were not moving fast enough for that.   
    JavadS
  • edited March 2017
    Please delete, duplicate
  • Hehehe, the first vid... What the chances you have the girl from ipanema dialed up?

JavadS
  • Hehehe, the first vid... What the chances you have the girl from ipanema dialed up?

Hah, yup! Have a 5 yr old and an 11month old, I need to buy more guns.

Layla my 5 yr old is so cute, she says "Daddy I love your speakers, you build the best speakers!" Then she cuddles up next to me on my listening couch and asks me to play the Lava song (which sounds really good BTW with two large volcano explosions).

I always tell her I'll play if for her if she agrees not to talk to any boys until she's 30, via written contract with notarized signature.

Then we listen to the song, she's great =)

Javad
    Nicholas_23kennyk
  • An Aura or AE 18 in a sealed 4cf+enclosures would be a good alternative to a monstrous horn. The UM18 could possibly work as well.
    JavadS