Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Advice on Vehicle-Specific Wiring with eFPGA for Aftermarket Stereo Installation

I’m currently working on an aftermarket stereo installation in my car, but I’ve run into some issues with the vehicle-specific wiring. My car’s system integrates various features like steering wheel controls and a backup camera, and I’ve heard that cars with CAN bus systems can be quite tricky when adding aftermarket components.

I’m also exploring the possibility of using eFPGA to help with signal processing and maintaining the functionality of these factory features. Has anyone here tried using eFPGA for similar car audio installations? Specifically, I’m curious about:

How effective eFPGA is in preserving factory features like steering wheel controls and backup cameras during aftermarket installs.
What eFPGA setups or solutions have worked well for you in handling complex vehicle wiring systems?
Are there particular vehicles that present more challenges when using eFPGA in the installation process?
Any insights or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• This is why I don't even bother with car audio much anymore. All the BS that cars integrate into the "radio" is just a headache. And the fact that a lot of the newer stuff really doesn't sound that bad like cars from back in the day.

Hell I've never even heard of a eFPGA.

Analogkid455Steve_Lee
  • @6thplanet said:
    This is why I don't even bother with car audio much anymore. All the BS that cars integrate into the "radio" is just a headache. And the fact that a lot of the newer stuff really doesn't sound that bad like cars from back in the day.

Hell I've never even heard of a eFPGA.

I have a Bose system in my 2000 Bonneville SSEi and the wife has a Bose system in her 2017 Buick GS. Mine sounds way better. I am adding a subwoofer to her car and it's also not that simple.

• SSEi... supercharged👍🏻
    I robbed the blower off the earlier model (Eaton M62) for my Saturn.

Analogkid455
  • Always wanted a SSEi.

Analogkid455
    I have a signature.
  • edited September 18

I imagine it varies by design. I've never heard of efpga either.

Last vehicles I did with wheel controls was a cobalt and older maxima. I think those just used the ol adapter method for wheel controls and the cobalt probably had a different converter to add for the door chime injection (that might have been CAN). I dont remember since that was over 15yr ago.

• EFPGA is probably overkill fro what you need to do. Did you have a device in mind? What is the car your working on?

• Oh... I remember the good old days when car stereo upgrades where easy. Sans the laying on the floor boards with your legs draped over the headrests and trying to blindly start a mounting nut behind the dashboard. Other than that, yeah good times! :p

tajanesWolf6thplanetjr@macBilletEd_Perkinsugly_wooferSteve_LeeAnalogkid455
  • I used one of the cheap iDatalink interface modules Crutchfield sells for the steering wheel controls in my Santa Fe. The radio controls work fine, but now I can't change anything on the center dash display or reset the trip odometer.

• I hope my old cars keep going forever. I'm not looking forward to purchasing another new (or even slightly used) vehicle.

BilletSteve_LeeAnalogkid455