Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Tube amp speakers?

Comments

• Not sure I like the triangle port. However, it's probably better than putting the port next to the tweeter.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • From what i recall someone did some testing and found high distortion from triangle port compared to the other typical shapes.

• edited September 30

Four small triangular ports, one in each corner?

• I don't remember that, but did recall a bunch of extra squiggly lines in FR when next to a tweeter.

• I've never personally heard the PM220's, so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I've read here, or maybe it was PETT, they are a hot mess and not worth trying to use.

Steve_Lee
  • @DrewsBrews said:
    From what i recall someone did some testing and found high distortion from triangle port compared to the other typical shapes.

I think you might be referring to Scott Hinson's paper "Loudspeaker Port Nonlinearity Testing or Just Port it" found here: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1212863525554986&id=100057174291834

jhollander
  • On a completely different note: while I've built quite a few tube amps, none of them were flee watts. My smallest tube amp is the one that sits in my office at work. Pure Class A with 6V6 output tubes and 8 kOhm output transformers. It puts out an honest 3 watts/channel. I designed a pair of small desk speakers that use the ND91-4 and those little Peerless DX20BF00-04 tweeters. They're about 0.2 cf ported. After BSC they are roughly 80ish dB/2.83v/m. I can tell you that low power / low sensitivity combo is still quite impressive in my 15' x 20' office space. Grant it they are only 28" in front of me.

Billetjhollander
  • Side port a no go?

• Craig, thanks. That means I can't screw this up to badly. Do you remember how much BSC you took?

• @DrewsBrews said:
    Side port a no go?

Probably not. I like a symmetrical speaker but that might need to be a compromise.

• @4thtry said:

@DrewsBrews said:
    From what i recall someone did some testing and found high distortion from triangle port compared to the other typical shapes.

I think you might be referring to Scott Hinson's paper "Loudspeaker Port Nonlinearity Testing or Just Port it" found here: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1212863525554986&id=100057174291834

Damm I didn't think it was that bad. OK round port it is, somewhere...

• edited October 1

How about a long oval port the width of the cabinet?

** Never mind - I just glanced at Scott Hinson's paper.

• @jhollander said:
    Craig, thanks. That means I can't screw this up to badly. Do you remember how much BSC you took?

Full 6 dB. They don't have the benefit of sitting close to the back wall.

• Shelf is 12" high? How wide? Can't do a lay down style, tweeter to the side?

• @6thplanet said:
    Shelf is 12" high? How wide? Can't do a lay down style, tweeter to the side?

Yeah I thought about just laying down a normal speaker but the off axis is terrible. Probably crossing in the 2K range.

• Are they really for critical listening?

• edited October 1

small coaxial/MW combo out of the question?

6thplanetjhollander
  • @6thplanet said:
    Are they really for critical listening?

Good point, still want to try to make it fit.

• I'd love to do a coax, but I'm using up my stock. I have that small KEF coax from JR, but the sensitivity sucks.

• Current concept drawings. I'm liking B.

• edited October 1

B is definitely better, but I like the triangle port in the corner the best.

BilletjhollanderWolf
  • Slot port ?

• The offset would help smooth out baffle diffraction profile too.

jhollander
  • JMO... I feel like having full BSC on a low powered speaker is kind of like pushing in that old "Loudness" button on some receivers. It just makes listening at lower volumes more enjoyable. I could be in the minority on that though.

tajanesTom_S
  • I think there is a place for it. A good small speaker used in the near field can be an amazing listening experiance.
    I'm really proud of my MAC-04 build; they have plenty of baffle step and will rock the desk top. At CSS we proved they are not for meeting halls. 😆

PWRRYDjhollander
  • I was criticized for not sharing build pictures last year, so got some wood cut today. Those shelf boards from Menards are a bit chippy. Just reminder to center your router bushing to the bit.

Steve_Leekenrhodestajanes4thtryKornbreadugly_woofer6thplanethifisideEggguyNicholas_23
  • Despite the pain to cut out I'm really liking how the hexagon FaitalPro drivers look.

hifisidekenrhodesTom_Strawjohnny5jzSteve_Leetajanes4thtryugly_woofer6thplanetand 2 others.
  • These speaker are not as small as I thought at 15 liters

Here's a sneak peak at my Indiana entry

Nicholas_23hifiside6thplanettajanesSteve_Lee4thtry
  • MTM with all the same drivers or a full range and 2 woofers? Looking forwatd to see where this goes.

• edited October 14

Indiana is the 1.5 challenge so no tweeter and an insertion point no higher than 1K for the .5 woofer(s). I have substantial overlap but with enough smoothing it looks under 1K. F3 of 45 in 10 liters!

Wolf