Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Comments

• edited October 8

Why can't some of these high priced drivers use machined top and bottom plates? Seriously?

I have a signature.
  • Saw that tonight , that cone though , not a fan.

• The responce looks awful. Seems like it would be a tough driver to work with.

• Johny5, you read my mind....

• $569.00!!!!
    Is this some kind of a joke?

Steve_Leehifiside
  • 🤦🏻‍♂️

hifiside
  • Pricey yes, but something about that $0.20 top plate just bugs the hell out of me.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • Still don't get why the L22ROY costs more than the L26ROY.

• Holy cow! That's a response that calls for some DSP. But you would need quite a few filters to tame those peaks & valleys.

• There is nothing about that driver that screams $500 to me let alone $250.

6thplanetSteve_LeeGowa
  • edited October 8

It's a little more than the Satori Textreme tweeter + midrange and Seas' premium drivers are typically a little more expensive than Satori.

DrewsBrews
  • All these drivers are probably buyouts, originally designed for a specific application and baffle shape. The original plans fell through and now we can buy the driver and try to use it without the knowledge of what the original plan called for. Why else would such an expensive driver have such horrible squigglies?

• edited October 8

I'm a sucker, well self damning, that bought the tpcd woofer and later the tpcd tweeter - both from Vance sell off on ebay so about 50% cost. Had figured if I hated them and had to sell off would have already taken the initial 50% off the lot loss. From what Vance mentioned there were some other enhancements on the tweeter other than just the material but I don't know enough there. Worked with L12 seas coax where have to almost ignore the 8-11k squiggles, something with their coaxes and many others.

My tpcd 3 way at SDC2024 was a disaster, too much bass from bass bins and messed up the tweeter network that had a ringing sound like if tweeter crossing too low even though tpcd tweet has Fs of 530Hz, spec. Needed more time, and experience of course. It was likely from 2nd order network that used on tweeter rather than 3rd.... Though currently just put the passive crossover suggested by Seas in their Lucid kit download files, which also included a minidsp implementation that did give a quick listen too as well. I've been little disappointed in ability to get decent bass response, warmth. Not yet committed if make into whole 3 way since bass bins do the trick. Notice the coax woofer is 4 ohm rather than 8 like the woofer i have. Though here for home use, i just use the tpcd 2 ways on top of bass bins with minidsp high pass and a minor shelf. Not bother mucking with changing crossover to my taste (like more warmth perhaps boosting the 2.7mh coil to 3 or 3.3 and corresponding tweeter lpad adjustments).

Anyway.... maybe I'll bring the tpcd 2 ways to an event with it using the plain ole professional designed crossover rather than the abomination i had at SDC24. I can see why they called their diy kit Lucid, very clear and detailed but smooth, almost like a 2nd harmonic hint, the 'bloom', to the sound (well maybe that from my class A amps).

But damn that is embarrassing to post graphs like they have. I'm certain they are not that bad and Seas coax spec sheet measures all look bad.

Steve_Lee
  • The pulsar coax is a midrange specific model, not a woofer based like the Madisound driver.

I have a signature.
  • Sure enough , see that now

• Having heard the Lucid kit at AXPONA, and read the Voice Coil reviews; I'm really surprised how poorly they measured compared to other high end drivers AND surprised how good they actually sound. Sometimes good measurements don't reflect good sound, or vice versa, and I find this kind of driver is possibly one of those cases. By comparison, Textreme drivers are uniform in pattern, density, thickness, and weave. The TPCD are variant in thickness, pattern, damping influence, etc; and are what I would call designed as an anti-modal cone.

Billet
  • edited October 10
  • edited October 10

Yeah unfortunately if the price looks too good to be true you will probably get a rock in a box or some other random item instead so they can show tracking "proof" of shipment.

• Can see the surround is midrange like rather than the veined seas one, plus the tweet not tpcd. Maybe the measurement spec graphs are of those rather than the real slim shady

• This is in fact, bogus. I tried ordering that. After paying with PayPal, never received any confirmation or communication. After a couple days, I tried emailing the company and the recipient, emails inactive. PayPal refunded my money.

Steve_Lee
  • Noted . Wasnt trying to infect anyone

GowaSteve_Lee