Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sneak peak - personal demo for DakotaDIY 2017

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlHuPRQmBiX2rDBTDpMi85cBtlmT

Track listing:

1. 50 Cent - In Da Club (Instrumental)
2. Power Trip - Manifest Destination
3. Angel - Shaggy 
4. Soma - Deadmaus
5. Mr. Recordman - Ugly Kid Joe 

Other than track 5, I selected stuff to challenge the woofer in my 3-way. Track 5 is because UKJ is an under-rated band, and this song really showcases their songwriting skills when they are not making top 40 stuff like "I Hate Everything About you", which is also a fun song. It also has some neat harmonies and a catchy ass jangly guitar sound. 

Track 1 is an instrumental of a lyrically stupid song that is otherwise fun to listen to. SImilar to the instrumental version of "Paparazzi" by Xzibit I used a while back for a house demo, actually. 

Track 2 is a little known metal band (listen to J-Riz the Hipster lol) I was turned on to by a local DJ. It has gobs of low frequency content, and like a lot of metal is an assault on the senses and is harder to render correctly through the speakers than most types of music. This band is somewhat better recorded and mastered than run of the mill heavy metal. I nearly used a track from an EP a friend of mine released last year with his band, but declined due to the basement-quality mastering they employed. I have spoken with him about doing some work in the future when they record their first full length album - Mrs. JR might have a heavy metal album vocal credit to go with an engineering credit on my end. We like to keep things in the family around here. 

Track 3 is more of a personal one for me. I have a bit of a checkered past, and this song captures that lyrically and is one of the songs i have dedicated to Mrs. JR in the past for sticking with a shit-bird like me. It is also a woofer killer at times, and the reggae-esque sound always appeals to me. It is also fun to have two vocalists in a single track who sing in entirely different keys. The engineers must have been pulling their hair out at times trying to get it all to fit. 

Track 4 was picked purely out of a sense of mood it brings to me. No other reason other than it has a real visceral - even primitive feeling to it, and invokes vague, often contrary feelings of sadness and optimism. I find well engineered "techno/electronica/EDM/Dance/whatever the fuck you want to label it" excels at this aspect of music. It makes sense as this type of music is crafted primarily for purposes of mood enhancement in a crowded room. 

Anyways, we will see if the new MCM KB 6.5" woofers will take advantage of their advertised 7.5mm (!) of xmax or not. 
I have a signature.
squamishdrockennykS7910

Comments

• So UKJ is still a thing? I have to admit to blowing the dust off with "Everything About You" more than a few times. Seems like forever ago. Sounds like it might be interesting to revisit their output.
  • Good selection, a bit different. Do you also have the house track selected?
  • I was gonna say, reeling in the way back with Ugly Kid Joe, I was always impressed with their version of N.I.B on the Nativity in Black cd (Black Sabbath tribute album) 
  • I have an early house demo mixed, out for feedback from BK and JP. 
    I have a signature.
  • I listened to it yesterday, pretty good stuff, clean sounding samples, good work man.

deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)