Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Gonna take a short break from speaker building

2»

Comments

• +1 for dome mids
  • PWRRYD said:
    At this point I am going to use the "Wolf says they suck" RS52AN.  Looking at Zaph's measurements they have super low distortion and are ruler flat where I want to use them.
    I don't know if you remember this project.
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/37707-new-project-in-works-paperstone-bbmtmbb
    Nothing wrong with RS52. I like them.

• PWRRYD said:
    Where are you crossing the 52s?
    My documentation is bad, especially from those days when I had to borrow a windows PC to run PCD. I should have the info on a thumb drive somewhere. I found some notes that indicate about 800 and 2200. I know a have a XO diagram stapled to the squigglies somewhere. If that says otherwise I'll be back.
  • Thanks Roman!  I don't know how I missed that cool project.  I'm not afraid of the huff and puff from the little bad wolf :p
    Nicholas_23R-Carpenterkennykgreywarden
  • edited August 2017
    PWRRYD said:
    Thanks Roman!  I don't know how I missed that cool project.  I'm not afraid of the huff and puff from the little bad wolf :p
    He's been expressing his dislike for RS52 forever.
    It does have a very high magnitude break up but it's high up. Still, careful work x-over work is needed.
    If you decide to go with RS52, small ribbon will compliment  very well BTW. You could do Founteks or RT850. I would stay away from new Fountek X series tho.
    May be MikeZ can even chime in on a 4-way options. :) 
    I've tested bamboo TB a while ago. Wasn't too impressed with the linear and nonlinear distortions.
  • Roman, not to deviate ,but what did you not like about the fountek x series
  • I don't see any improvements in linear or non-linear distortions or distortions VS applied voltage in the new X-series in comparison to old Founteks. From what I tested, older series drivers are better.
    Nicholas_23kennyk
  • Funny how strangely different hobbies can be.  I pine over whether I should splurge a $100 for a better pair of woofers....   but I just dropped enough on my new intake manifold that I could have bought a pair of Revelator woofers.  I guess I am still a gear head at heart ;)
    jr@macjhollanderS7910kennyk
  • For anyone interested, I just my highly modified carb on and the engine is running on corn fuel (E85).  Starting with much less boost, only 15 psi, until I get a good handle on tuning A/F and timing with the corn fuel.
    Nicholas_23S7910
  • Weird smell.  Not bad but I'm used to that sweat smell of high octane leaded race gas.
  • Ill drive it around while you tune it if you like Craig! What does your tuning software look like? Thats what i do at work on diesels but chances are its different software. We have completely custom connections on the ECU's with extra "CAN / Etk"  connections. The stock modules lock you out of alot of stuff however this is all the new obdII stuff.

Sounds like fun either way!
  • Im guessing Craig does it with a vac gauge, tach, and timing light. Ain't no school like the old school. 

My baby is going in for a top end refresh next week. 
    I have a signature.
  • Hopefully atleast AFR, fuel pressure and exh temp guages. Its gotta be a little scary rolling the dice on burning up a motor in the tuning process. I believe you burn about 30-40% more fuel using e85 so bigger jets for sure. 
  • Yup, carb jetting, fuel pressure, and total timing (with boost retard).

I do tune with a wideband O2, but mostly by starting safe and sneaking up on it by reading plugs (old school).  Plugs don't lie when you know how to read them.
  • Wow!  This E85 barely has any smell at all.  My whole garage no longer stinks of race gas.  AND I just filled up my 5 gallon jugs at a local gas station for just $1.49/gal!!!!!  Beats the crap out of $14/gal for VP Racing C-16 leaded gas!
    D1PP1N
  • Do they change the E85 mix seasonally that it would effect your tuning?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Yes, unfortunately they do :(

I bought an E85 tester... so I've got that, but...

Honestly though I'm not trying for maximum HP or setting some sort of world record, so my A/F and timing curves will be safe and leave some power on the table.  But a 10% difference in fuel won't be pushing out head gaskets or holing pistons :)
    Nicholas_23
  • This E85 is awesome!  Filled up my fuel jugs for $1.49 a gallon!  Filled my fuel cell and the car is now starting and idling better than it has since it was basically factory stock.  Drove it around town and it runs perfectly, no stumbles, surging, or loading up the plugs..  Another big plus (WAF) our garage (and creeping into our kitchen) no longer smells like gasoline.  This E85 has almost no scent. 

No full throttle passes yet, but I'm confident it will haul the mail...
  • On a completely different note... the speakers I'm bring to Iowa sound pretty darn good.  The voicing process yielded a small change in the tweeter padding resistor from 3 ohms to 4 ohms. These $10 buyout Peerless woofers have amazing resolution ;-) 
  • Can't wait to hear them Craig! I know you said no more projects for a while, but would you consider helping an idiot (me) build/design a quality tube buffer? :)
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Looking good....