Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

State of this Forum

2»

Comments

• Well the edit window must be milliseconds on my end, but anyway just expect some typos and multiple posts from me because I have no edit button.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • On a phone, the gear symbol at the bottom gets you to your profile options, not for editing your posts. 
    You are correct.  :3
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • OK guys.  Let's give Jason some time to look into this (edit thing) because frankly he does 99% of the forum maintenance himself and I do about 1% (onboarding).  We've got the issue documented. Thanks.
    kennyk
    My signature goes here
  • Editing should work now. 15 minutes by default is the limit, and as your rank increases it gets longer.
    dcibelkennyk
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • edited October 2017
    testing

[edit: works, said 1 hour for me when I clicked it. Thanks!]
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited October 2017
    @JasonP for the win!

Edit work for me too... guess I never noticed the gear while hovering on my own post within the timeout time....
  • Awesome!  Spelling and grammar should now be 100% perfect going forward. *winks at JR* 
    My signature goes here
  • anyone else get a refresh error? my page will get stuck with the cancel refresh "x" and the refresh symbol never comes even though the page is done loading. Seems like this happens when the page sits for a while.
  • Killa said:
    anyone else get a refresh error? my page will get stuck with the cancel refresh "x" and the refresh symbol never comes even though the page is done loading. Seems like this happens when the page sits for a while.
    I've experienced some load lag (we are on shared hosting), but nothing that resulted in an error. Keep me posted on this.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • JasonP said:
    Killa said:
    anyone else get a refresh error? my page will get stuck with the cancel refresh "x" and the refresh symbol never comes even though the page is done loading. Seems like this happens when the page sits for a while.
    I've experienced some load lag (we are on shared hosting), but nothing that resulted in an error. Keep me posted on this.
    Well I haven't had it happen again since I posted about it lol. It was happening when I had multiple tabs open an left the page sit idle for a while. I couldn't use the refresh button so I just clicked the MAC/DIY button.
     It may have been a firefox issue as it updated recently. Ill let you know if it happens again.

• Apologies if this has been mentioned, I’d say the biggest barrier to me posting my builds here is Tapatalk compatibility, that’s how I interact with every other forum I’m on, is that being considered or possible?

thanks!
    Javad
  • I can understand the attractiveness of tapatalk (I've used it myself for a few forums over the years) but one selling point of Vanilla is that is uses modern technologies. One of these is a responsive theme, meaning it works fine in a browser on a small tablet or phone. So no, sadly no tapatalk support is planned that I am aware of.
  • Jason thanks for the reply, so it sounds like they’re not compatible? I wouldn’t expect Tapatalk to change the vanilla format, I’ll play around with it a little more to see if I can make the content compatible, thanks!
  •   Is there still no way to edit posts? I'd like to add more information and clear up some confusingly worded mistakes.
  • LOUT said:
      Is there still no way to edit posts? I'd like to add more information and clear up some confusingly worded mistakes.
    I mean individual posts aside from started discussions. I don't have a gear near later posts at all though I DO have the gear/option when I start a new thread...though it only shows the option to announce or sink which I didn't see mentioned in the TOS/instructions. 
    Once again, I could simply be not seeing these, but it's kind of a pain. 
  • There is a four window after you post that you can go back and edit it.  Maybe that's why.
  • I'll look at the setting again for the yaga module of the forum, but basically the longer you are here and the more you are active, things open up for you. Which makes sense to me, you are earning trust. Personally I understand the want to edit, but I've also seen it often used on other forums to ill effect.
  • Ok to clear this up:
    After 5 posts you level up to level 2! Then you can edit for an hour after posting. Once you reach level 3, you can edit for 4 hours after posting.
  • I'll naturally want to whine about that time limit because I'm SUPER slow at catching my own mistakes or I'll find something out the next day (or later if learned from somebody's later response) that makes me realize "oops I need to fix that or clear that up". 
    And I'll also (because of that bias) want to argue that folks using the edit system for trolling sounds more like a general chat/forum behavior and less like something that happens in a niche DIY hobby forum...particularly one with a potentially more strict inherent member screening/invite process like this one.

On the other hand, I've never tried to run nor moderate a forum of ANY kind, so realistically 'what do I know' totally applies. 
    I'm used to making several tiny edits as I later nitpick my posts, but keeping trolling and harassment under control (asuming that's been a problem in similar forums) makes sense and sounds like a bigger/more-important thing than my itch to self-edit. 

Thanks for the answers.
  • @LOUT
    The same edit rules apply to everyone so as JP pointed out you get more leverage over time. 

We’re not going to change what has been working over the last several years. However, we are all reasonable folks around here. If you ever have an issue with  trolling or harassment please let us know and it will be handled.    
    My signature goes here