Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Bamboo baffles anyone?

Heard they are a bitch machine but..... looks like the smallest one is free but have to pay for shipping 

http://www.thatdailydeal.com/home.php?id=49416

Comments

• As one of its daily deals, That Daily Deal offers this Bamboo 7.5" x 6" Cutting Board for free plus $4.49 for shipping. That's tied with our mention from two weeks ago, $12 off list, and the lowest price we could find.

Note: It's also available in 8.5" x 6" for $1, or 9.5" x 7" for $1.79, each with $4.49 shipping. All three deals end February 28.
  • Bamboo is a fine material - but it has a lot of smoke in it. When you hit it with the router bit, you'll see what I mean :)
    D1PP1N4thtryNicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • I was looking to buy a sheet of 3/4 for a build its kind of pricey like $120-150 for a 3/4"  4x8 sheet. Special order. I want to see it in person before spending that kinda cake. 
  • The side panels for my Rhodium project were 3/8" thick bamboo cutting boards.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • jr@mac said:
    Bamboo is a fine material - but it has a lot of smoke in it. When you hit it with the router bit, you'll see what I mean :)
    I built this bamboo counter top and found it to be very machinable. I had no smoke and little burning while sawing or doing all the round overs. It was built from 3 1x12 8 foot boards we purchased online. I'm pretty sure they came from this site. Nice product but the packaging was a joke and there were lots of dings to work around. https://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/category/Bamboo.html

Ron
    jhollanderNicholas_23Gowa4thtry
  • Rockler has bamboo boards in 3/4 x 12 x 96. Pricing is a little bit more than the online company, but then you don't have to pay shipping or worry about dings
    D1PP1N
  • Heard they are a bitch machine but..... looks like the smallest one is free but have to pay for shipping 

http://www.thatdailydeal.com/home.php?id=49416

I wouldn't say they are a "bitch machine", with a CNC or router I found the stuff to be similar to other hardwood, with some formaldehyde holding it together so maybe a cross between hardwood and plywood. On the CNC it started to burn at the final pass, I think the bit was needing a cleanin at that point. With a hand router and a clean sharp bit it cut like hardwood, clean and burn free. The problem you will have is with screws, since the grain is very straight this stuff will split easily, so make sure you drill pilots and test the pilot size to get it just right.

Cutting boards can make good baffles, and found at all the bargain shops, liquidation stores, Winners, Homesense, etc.

For bigger boards, I know Lowes carries 1.5" thick countertop boards, I think HD and Rona do as well. Check the end grain, sometimes it is high quality 1/4" ends with low grade core with gaps.

The gaps in this board were filled with sawdust and epoxy which worked very well and I really like the end product even though I would  have preferred a gap free core, but this was a fair bit of extra labour to clean up.

D1PP1N4thtry
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Poor grammar , "bitch to machine" .
    I like the look of that end grain dcibel

dcibel
  • So do I, it was the selling feature that convinced me to buy the bamboo countertop in the first place, but once I cut into it and found the gaps it was a bit of a disappointment. It took some elbow grease but I made these work and I think they turned out fantastic!

Here's some more photos highlighting the end-grain.

jhollanderD1PP1NkennykNicholas_23Gowa4thtry
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • The finished counter top.

Ron
    jhollanderPWRRYDD1PP1NkennykNicholas_23GowaThumperTom4thtryMartyH
  • Total beauty, man.  A proud effort to be sure.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!