Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Dayton Audio DSP

Production samples have arrived! 

A few edits here and there, but not much longer!

D1PP1NBryan@MACkennykani_101

Comments

• Highly interested. Not happy with my mini dsp 2x4 units. 
  • D1PP1N said:
    Highly interested. Not happy with my mini dsp 2x4 units. 

What don't you like about the 2x4 minidsp?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • D1PP1N said:
    Highly interested. Not happy with my mini dsp 2x4 units. 
    Same here. Output voltage is low, noisy, etc. Gains maxed out and had a hard time driving my Kenwood and Adcom amps. 
  • 1 channel on one of my units is noisey. Ive switched amps and swapped sides and the hiss follows. I have 4 or 5 different means of powering it all have a mimimal amount of noise. Also, when i listen to the working one running no changes to my mains but using it to just cross to the subs at 50hz it seems to me that my mains sound different to me than running them without my minidsp. 
    rjj45
  • It looks great, high quality, very nice
  • edited April 2018
    D1PP1N said:
    1 channel on one of my units is noisey. Ive switched amps and swapped sides and the hiss follows. I have 4 or 5 different means of powering it all have a mimimal amount of noise. Also, when i listen to the working one running no changes to my mains but using it to just cross to the subs at 50hz it seems to me that my mains sound different to me than running them without my minidsp. 

Grab one of the Daytons, be very very picky in how it sounds, and let me know.  I've been wondering how much affect, if any, the minidsp2x4 has on my speakers.  I put a 2db shelf@a Q of 50 in instead of a peak, and immediately heard an easily audible whine.  Thanks to the mini my speakers measure flat, but they never completely disappear from the music, is the mini why ...   

Doesn't look like it's been added to the PE catalogue yet.           
  • Well it looks like the real world price isn't going to be $199 but $149.90

Anyone using it yet? 
  • Geoff has one on his car and they brought the Tundra 4way build to InDIYana this year. It seems to be a pretty capable piece. I ordered one with the BT and remote. It will probably be going into a car audio setup 
  • No manual on the PE website, but it does say it uses the ADAU1701 chipset, IIRC, that is the same as what Neil Davis has been working on ... and IIRC again it's the same as used on the basic minidsp 2x4. 

Guess this means it will be in competition with the basic minidsp 2x4 price and sound quality wise, not the hd version.  I was hoping it was going to be a step up.           
    rjj45isaeagle4031
  • I ordered one. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited May 2018
    Kornbread said:
    No manual on the PE website, but it does say it uses the ADAU1701 chipset, IIRC, that is the same as what Neil Davis has been working on ... and IIRC again it's the same as used on the basic minidsp 2x4. 

Guess this means it will be in competition with the basic minidsp 2x4 price and sound quality wise, not the hd version.  I was hoping it was going to be a step up.           
    The chipset really has very little to do with the resulting sound quality. The basic MiniDSP 2x4 does not include any output stage really, you are relying on the DSP's internal DAC and output gain which is what most people complain about. If you go through the technical stuff on the 2x4, you can wire it up to an SPDIF output to any DAC of your choice, or DIY a DAC using just the I2C right off the board header. IMO the MiniDSP is more of a DIYer product, where the Dayton appears to be a bit more plug and play for the end user.

The other MiniDSP products that use the same ADAU1701 such as the 8x8 etc, also have an output gain stage that fixes the sound quality issues that people complain about with the 2x4. the 2x4HD also includes these features, as well as a more capable DSP for FIR processing, not just IIR.
    rjj45JasonP
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Interesting, however windows only?  

I've had no issues with mini dsp's (plate ice and 2x4) - no noise (use top half with a tube amp, quiet at idle as well) no pb driving high ouput on either acurus nor the valves, perhaps the grace dac/pre is to credit...
  • dcibel said:

The other MiniDSP products that use the same ADAU1701 such as the 8x8 etc, also have an output gain stage that fixes the sound quality issues that people complain about with the 2x4. the 2x4HD also includes these features, as well as a more capable DSP for FIR processing, not just IIR.

Do you expect the Dayton408 to have a more forgiving input as well as output?  The mini2x4 is easy to clip on the input side as well as the output.     
  • edited May 2018
    I don't know anything about the Dayton product. I expect it to have at least an op-amp gain stage at the output to boost the signal level, per the specs it has up to 3.5V output voltage and a SNR spec 17dB better than the minidsp.

Clipping the input on the minidsp? It has jumper selectable input sensitivity of either 0.9V or 2V, if you're clipping either you have the jumper in the wrong spot and/or gain stage set up improperly. Many commercial amps have an input sensitivity of less than 0.9V (more like 0.7V) and a high gain so maybe this is what you're used to?
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.