Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (5)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Open Back spkr project

Latest project  I went with an Open Back design, altered the H frame to a V configuration, and kept top of spkr open for the mid/tw sub box (opportunity to switch out), and kept overall size and width of speakers  ~reasonable (for my room).

Thoughts were: V design offsets loading (spkrs at 30 degrees) and cancelation a bit (~offset drivers positioning relative to front baffle), preference to keep spkr frames & their related distortions towards back (its not about noise level equalization front to rear, its about getting best sound forward...), wanted to provide flexibility to try different top box set-ups (full range, M Tw, coax, etc) and this set-up provides some isolation (rubber feet on top box) from the woofer section.

Currently running with miniDSP targeting 4th order LR crossover ~280Hz top from W section (and allows for eq -6db of open back design), dual Beyma 12BR70s (http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma 12BR70-1.htm), the top W’s (which angle slightly downward) have an additional .38mH inductor (thx to Meniscus Audio)

I initially tested a pair of 10’s and was fairly satisfied with the low frequency capability, just  ended up going with the 12s to get the lows with a bit less drama (movement).  Dimensions: width 14 3/8 , height 41 1/4, depth of frame 6, depth of base 10 ½

Continue to work with crossover points / slopes / eq of OB design, getting these right are difficult with open design

4thtryjr@macJasonPS7910kennykkenrhodes

Comments