Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New 3 way project - The Clinchers!

Comments

• edited June 2018
    The rear frame of those drivers remind me of that Atlantis water station in "The Spy Who Loved Me".
  • jr@mac said:
    Yes, door prize at DDIY - but it was the second official (third overall) event. The first we had at the hotel in one of the audiotoriums. 

They were from Madisound, if I recall correctly. Nice drivers. 
    'Audiotoriums' is Funny!  Good one, JR!
  • jr@mac said:
    Claus, when we gonna do something with some of those NE woofers you have hoarded?
    I know , I know . I need a bigger house for those suckers 
  • PWRRYD said:
    The rear frame of those drivers remind me of that Atlantis water station in "The Spy Who Loved Me".
    I can relate , though , some of the kids in here might not 
  • Is it possible to veneer 3/4" roundovers?  I assume paper backed veneer?  I've had veneering success with contact cement.  Would that work on these roundovers?
  • edited July 2018
    PWRRYD said:
    Is it possible to veneer 3/4" roundovers?  I assume paper backed veneer?  I've had veneering success with contact cement.  Would that work on these roundovers?
    Yeppers.  I used a big @ss sheet of cherry veneer (paper backed) on my PBO66 towers.
    Hit up the veneer with some softener the day before.
    And oh, yeah, @D1PP1N is right. I use Heatlock glue with an iron and would NEVER glue veneer any other way

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • You can if the direction matches. It bends way easier not  going with the length if the grain. I found a nice way to veneer with regular wood glue and an iron that i really liked alot more than contact cement. My waveguide build was done that way. 
  • IMO 3/4 is iffy, even parallel to the grain. I gave up on some maple that was flat cut. 
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Hmmm?  It would only be for the bass bins which would be crossed at somewhere around 500 Hz.  So the roundovers would be more for looks than for diffraction performance.
  • This was rift sawn oak which bent OK

PWRRYDR-Carpenter
  • Beautiful John.
  • NBL veneer can do a 3/4" radius according to Tape Ease.  From their website. " The NBL has the backer wood-grain the same direction as on the face, giving you the option of doing as little as a 3/4" radius going with the wood-grain. These materials are a hair less then 1/16" thick for 2ply and NBL."

Ron
  • edited July 2018
    I think the roundovers are needed.

D1PP1N
  • I ordered three large sheets of paper backed makore crotch veneer.  Hopefully I can get a single piece to wrap around the front (with 3/4" round overs) and cover both sides without cracking.  Where should I order veneer softener from?  And what is wrong with using contact cement besides the insanely bad fumes?  It was very easy to apply and has held up well for several years, and the headache went away the next day LOL
  • Couldn't help but notice your cardboard wrench hanging there. Kiddo make you a tool?
  • PWRRYD said:
    I ordered three large sheets of paper backed makore crotch veneer.  Hopefully I can get a single piece to wrap around the front (with 3/4" round overs) and cover both sides without cracking.  Where should I order veneer softener from?  And what is wrong with using contact cement besides the insanely bad fumes?  It was very easy to apply and has held up well for several years, and the headache went away the next day LOL
    Nothing is wrong with contact cement if the fumes are ok in your environment.
    My workshop is in the basement, and I need non-toxic solutions.

Veneer softener:  http://www.rockler.com/veneer-glycerine
    Mix glycerine with alcohol and water.

Real Good Article: https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/flattening.htm

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • rjj45 said:
    PWRRYD said:
    I ordered three large sheets of paper backed makore crotch veneer.  Hopefully I can get a single piece to wrap around the front (with 3/4" round overs) and cover both sides without cracking.  Where should I order veneer softener from?  And what is wrong with using contact cement besides the insanely bad fumes?  It was very easy to apply and has held up well for several years, and the headache went away the next day LOL
    Nothing is wrong with contact cement if the fumes are ok in your environment.
    My workshop is in the basement, and I need non-toxic solutions.

Veneer softener:  http://www.rockler.com/veneer-glycerine
    Mix glycerine with alcohol and water.

Real Good Article: https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/flattening.htm

Thank you!
  • Wolf said:
    Couldn't help but notice your cardboard wrench hanging there. Kiddo make you a tool?
    Good eye Ben!  Yes, they made me a wall hanging that says "Daddy's Workshop" with various tools hanging below.  Best Father's Day gift I've received!!!!  
    S7910ani_101Silver1omo
  • edited July 2018
    PWRRYD said:
    Wolf said:
    Couldn't help but notice your cardboard wrench hanging there. Kiddo make you a tool?
    Good eye Ben!  Yes, they made me a wall hanging that says "Daddy's Workshop" with various tools hanging below.  Best Father's Day gift I've received!!!!  

I saw that wrench too. Those are the gifts you'll keep forever and they'll make you smile even when you're having "challenging shop day"! 
  • PWRRYD said:
    Wolf said:
    can you post the wall hanging - would love to see the rest of the tools!!!
  • 20180714_100937.jpg

Almost all the letters have fallen off.
  • Hmmm?  Picture didn't attach.  Second try:

ani_101Silver1omoS7910
  • On another note:  I just tried Andrew Jone's recommendation on how to measure the woofer's FR below 200 Hz...  OmniMic hanging inside the enclosure.  I must have had the mic end way too close to the internal end of the port because my measurement was a large peak right at 32 Hz (the port's tuning frequency), falling off quickly -15 dB at 200 Hz, then a huge nose dive above that.
  • I'm hoping you figure it out as I'd like to use that technique.  Jerry M was giving me some bad head shakes on Saturday.
  • I mean to try that too when I get the current cabs constructed.
  • PWRRYD said:
    On another note:  I just tried Andrew Jone's recommendation on how to measure the woofer's FR below 200 Hz...  OmniMic hanging inside the enclosure.  I must have had the mic end way too close to the internal end of the port because my measurement was a large peak right at 32 Hz (the port's tuning frequency), falling off quickly -15 dB at 200 Hz, then a huge nose dive above that.
    It would be very interesting to compare that with close miked woofer and port measurements.

• I do plan to try some more internal measurements as it makes total sense to me.  Next time I will duct tape the mic facing upwards and away from the port and the rear of the woofer and see what the results are.  End of the day I have had very good results measuring the woofer and the port, both near field (external), then SPL correcting the port measurement, then blending them together.
    rjj45
  • I seem to recall that Andrew's measurement technique involved some Calculus (integral or derivative, can't remember which) being applied to the raw measurement. I would have really liked a demo or a brief write-up.
  • From my notes, Andrew shared two techniques one with the microphone in the box, the other was calculating an equivalent impedance circuit then doing some double differential calculation to create a derived woofer FR curve.  He kind of glossed over the math part, which would have been interesting to see.

• edited July 2018
    Yes that is what I recall too John.  I wasn't overly interested in his derivation of bass response from the impedance plot.  I was, however, very interested in his "mic in box" method.  I don't remember him saying the direction of the mic was all that important, more so that the mic was kind of in the middle of the box, not laying on one of the internal panels.  I'll give it another shot and see if things change significantly.