Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The R176-CP-08 @ Iowa DIY 2018

Well, by now most of us have a pair or two or three courtesy of the Rival Sale @ Rhythm Audio and are probably knee deep in ideas.  Anyone interested in a Rival Shootout at this years Iowa DIY?  I propose the following: If you build a 2-way the tweeter cannot cost more than the $45 we spent per Rival R176-CP.  If you build a 3-way the tweeter and mid cannot cost more than double ($90) the cost of the woofer.  Crossovers are at your discretion.

Any interest?

Comments

• So for this shootout I can build a 2 way MTM with a $45 tweeter, or a 3 way TMWW with a $90 tweeter + mid?
  • Just spitballin' here Craig.  It's not my Show, so I don't set the rules, but I thought it might add an element of interest to the show.  I'd imagine most would do a 2-way, 3-way, or MTM.  I think the fairest way is to limit it to one of those three options.  No multi-midranges or WWMMT's. 

Thoughts?

• Just giving you a hard time Marty.  I would think in a fair contest a two way is a MT and a three way is a WMT.  Not multiple woofers or mids.  MTM's are technically two ways from a crossover point of view, but not a fair entry IMHO.
  • I’ve got the parts but not much time to build something. I would be Ok with a 2 way competition and MT vs MTM when spl matched 
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • OK, I had a nice chat with Bryan and Jason on this subject, and we agree that we will not be putting together a formal contest involving one of these drivers. Let me list the two important reasons why:

1. Not everyone had a chance to get a Rival driver and availability between now and then will probably be somewhat spotty.
    2. We don't believe three months is enough time to create a design from conception to finish in order to participate. 
    However - we strongly encourage those who have done or have something in progress using the Rival drivers to bring that design. We will absolutely make sure that they are played back to back, we will mix a unique house track for the group, and that is close enough to a contest. We did something similar at DDIY last year when a bunch of designs using the SB Iron Driver tweeter showed up - it was fun, and I wish I had known about the possibility of so many of them showing up. I would have done a separate track just for those. 

So yeah, lets rock the Rival this year if you have them. 

We will be pushing out the event particulars in the next two weeks or so. We plan on this years Iowa being a special event. I'll start a thread sometime soon to keep you all in the loop. 

Great idea, Marty - just would have liked more time to give more people a chance at making sure they were able to put the time into it. I hope what we settle on will keep the interest alive in coming in with a Rival build. I hope to have one of my own done for this October. 

I have a signature.
  • That being said , will there be limitations on how they can be used? Or what can be used with them?
  • That being said , will there be limitations on how they can be used? Or what can be used with them?
    That being said , will there be limitations on how they can be used? Or what can be used with them?
    configuration etc etc
    PWRRYD
  • I'd most likely build a 3 way WWMT with mine.  Not sure I'll have time to build them in time for Iowa though.
  • My plan is a 2.5 with the new Dayton RST28 fabric tweeter.  The Rival models down to an F3 of 36 hz and crosses nicely at 2.1k.  Well, that's the plan for now.  :)
  • BTW, I had no intention to stir the pot or put the organizers into a corner.  I just thought this was a fun idea and wondered if others did too.  Thanks for considering it Boys!

• If I were to make it to Iowa, I'd bring Fenrir. We'll have to see...
  • My first plan is a MT with the LD22
  • How comfortable are you guys willing to take the Rival woofer?
  • How comfortable are you guys willing to take the Rival woofer?
    High
  • Maybe 3K, I'd want to measure.  Ben did something near 2.5K (I think) but with a different coating/ model number on the woofers.  I'd want tweeter that could do 2.5K without issues.
  • 2.6k with the P-8 and TW022WA06.
  • I just did some box modeling using measured T/S parameters.  The old curve sided enclosures I built for my Agendas project would work perfectly for two per side in parallel.  Taking away the volume needed for a midrange tubular enclosure and the necessary port volume I come up with a F3 of 35 Hz that can take some real power and produce 106 dB/M right down to 28 Hz without exceeding xmax.  This could be a really fun project!
    Turn2
  • Maybe 3K, I'd want to measure.  Ben did something near 2.5K (I think) but with a different coating/ model number on the woofers.  I'd want tweeter that could do 2.5K without issues.
    So "most" ribbons need not apply.  Still waiting on distortion measurements on the carbon paper version. Again , if I missed it , I apologize 
  • PWRRYD said:
    I just did some box modeling using measured T/S parameters.  The old curve sided enclosures I built for my Agendas project would work perfectly for two per side in parallel.  Taking away the volume needed for a midrange tubular enclosure and the necessary port volume I come up with a F3 of 35 Hz that can take some real power and produce 106 dB/M right down to 28 Hz without exceeding xmax.  This could be a really fun project!
    Hmmmm....
    What size box was that?  Model sounds wicked cool.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • After all my talking and head scratchin'/butt scratchin' I'm not bringing a Rival design to Ankeny.  Go figure.   :p
    PWRRYD
  • I've got one planned for Fort Wayne in 2019. Rival plus Peerless
    Nicholas_23
  • I've got one planned for Fort Wayne in 2019. Rival plus Peerless
    Which Peerless?  :)

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Don, it was a secret, but for you it's the DA25TX00-08 1" corundum
    rjj45PWRRYDGowa
  • The CP's coating was upgraded a short while ago. I don't have the specs yet to see if there's a major difference. I'm told that it was to improve consistency and ease of application. I may bring some in, but I want to see the specs first.
    They also upgraded the coating on the 'P'. I have some of those and don't see much of a change in specs at all if any.