Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Really...another ND105 project? Yep!

I've been trying to actually build things using some of the drivers that have been sitting on my shelf for years. Since I wasn't pleased with my attempt with the TCP115, I thought I would see if I could cobble something together using the ND105-04s that I bought back when Chris designed the Nano Neos. I had the box already built and I had some old SB tweeters that Madisound used to carry. It turned out much better than I expected. But as fate would have it, one of the tweeters had a flaky connection, thanks to the flimsy, pressed in terminals. I got it working with a little solder, but it's a little suspect. But it sounds too good to give up on now - time for an alternate tweeter!
4thtry

Comments

• Fun!
    I have a signature.
  • Seeing that Craig and a few other folks really like the Dayton ND25FW, I had ordered a pair when they were on sale. This seemed like a good opportunity to give them a whirl. I also liked the look of the Poplar Craig had used, so I cut the baffles on Saturday afternoon.

My wife & I were at Menards and some laminated panels caught my eye. They have a subtle diamond tread pattern in either green or gray. I thought the gray would be an interesting contrast with the Poplar. It cuts fine if you keep your blade high - too low and it chips like crazy. How to deal with those ugly chipboard edges? Use the leftover Poplar!
    PWRRYD4thtry
  • I got one box glued up tonight - the backs will be Poplar and removable. It's not perfect and I have some edges level out. I guess I'll have to make a custom sanding block so I don't scratch the melamine - or I could maybe clamp a board to the box as a makeshift fence.  My son thinks a light gray stain would look cool, but I though Poplar can get blotchy when you stain it.
    PWRRYD4thtryS7910ThumperTom
  • Nice looking speakers Tom!  What was it that you didn't like about TCP115?  Just a lack of bass?

I think you will like those tweeters.  Especially if you got them for $10 each :)
  • PWRRYD said:
    Nice looking speakers Tom!  What was it that you didn't like about TCP115?  Just a lack of bass?

I just don't love my pairing. I'm guessing it's an integration issue with that BC25 tweeter. I think I was also expecting more thump than those woofers are willing give. I'll get back to them at a later date - maybe if they'll go on sale I'll try 4 per side - and use a different tweeter.

Yep, I did get the ND25s during the sale, thanks to you! If they're as good (or better?) than the little SB, this speaker has real potential to sound great for around $130/pair.
  • Those laminated panels with diamonds look cool; seem to contrast well against the poplar.  I'm heading over to Menards right now to see if I can find them. 
  • Yeah the ND105s will definitely produce better bass.  They just need a lot more enclosure volume.  Let us know what you think of those tweeters.
  • That poplar is nice to work with isn't it?  Are you going to give the baffle edges a round over?
  • The poplar i got is fairly soft. I'm surprised it's classified as a hardwood and I've been careful not to dent it. But it is is a breeze to machine. only one minor tear-out on a baffle edge and I haven't burnt any edges! I haven't decided if it'll be round overs or bevels yet. 

Did you use any stain on yours? It doesn't look like it - just poly?
  • edited July 2018
    No stain, dye, or oil.  Just straight rattle-can clear lacquer.  Besides the terrible smell (fumes while applying) I like the look and feel of lacquer so much better than any kind of poly.
  • @Tom_S - it's strange that you gave up on that Vifa BC25 tweeter - I've used it in several builds, and always found it easy to dial in, and pleasing to listen to.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Those look great Tom. You bringing them to DIY Iowa?
  • rjj45 said:
    @Tom_S - it's strange that you gave up on that Vifa BC25 tweeter - I've used it in several builds, and always found it easy to dial in, and pleasing to listen to.

I've used it a number of times too and think it's a really decent tweeter for under $20. I listen to them every day at work in a pair I brought to Dakota DIY last month. Those fell together so easily, but it's hard to mess up a design with the 830656 - it's just so smooth sounding. Something just seemed a little off this time. Might have been my crap job with the box for that TCP115 and not really the BC25 at all. 

Matt - If I don't screw up the rest of the build somehow, I'll at least bring these to the informal sessions. They might be 3 footers though.... ;)
  • That diamond stuff looks neat alongside the wood.  I think poplar looks good stained.  It shows the woods character.    

• I made a little more progress tonight - got the back mounting figured out. 1st problem to solve - I forgot I would need a glue surface in the corners for some mounting blocks to attach the backs. I know glue won't stick to this melamine stuff. A rabbeting bit in the router table saved the day. Not pretty, but it worked.

I decided to go right down the center with the bolts and use the rabbet I remembered to make for the crossbrace.

It all fit together with no cross-threading and this should draw the back down evenly.

I still have to glue up the second box - maybe tomorrow night. Then we'll see how bad the flush trim comes out with the slight texture of these panels. I predict much sanding in my future!
    PWRRYDS7910
  • edited July 2018
    Our entire house is trimmed in Poplar and all the doors are Poplar. My wife says some of the wood was pre-treated before staining and some wasn't and it seemed to make no difference. We used Old Masters Red Cedar wiping stain and I think it looks good. The green will turn a lovely dark color when stained. Your boxes look great.

Ron

• Very good to know Ron. That door looks great. What did you use as a top coat?

I got the second box glued up and I'm working on the crossover design. Slow going - my Focusrite interface has been throwing me some strange results, so I'm trying out a Behringer UMC22. 
  • Minwax satin poly.
  • Just picked up the UMC22 at the tent sale.  Hope it works well...
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Just picked up the UMC22 at the tent sale.  Hope it works well...
    Let me know how it goes with yours. During measurements everything seemed fine. Streaming from Spotify on my refurb Dell laptop it's having some strange issues. It freezes for a few seconds when I scroll down the list of artists. I also get a snapping sound when changing from ARTA to Spotify - I wonder if it's changing drivers.
  • I have both speakers playing now - not very flat but it still sounds pretty good! I like these tweeters a lot. Amazing for under $20. Thanks Craig!!

I thought I broke a glue joint on a woofer. Turns out those ND25 flanges will buzz unless you really crank down on the screws. Maybe I'll make the rabbet a little deeper and use some thicker foam than what's on the backside of those flanges. I have a bunch of the old PE black caulk but I hate to use that stuff.
  • use a little dab of marine silicone on the flange. will stop all buzzing.... had a horrible buzz with my ND105, not the same, but it works....
    D1PP1N
  • ani_101 said:
    use a little dab of marine silicone on the flange. will stop all buzzing.... had a horrible buzz with my ND105, not the same, but it works....
    That sure sounds easier than cutting a deeper rabbet. Thanks for the tip Ani!

My son & I decided to see how much it would take to get the ND105 to Xlim last night. We were both surprised how loud they'll play before the distortion gets really bad.
  • Careful Tom.  I was doing the same thing once.  It's remarkable how much sound can come from two little 4" woofers but they won't warn you until it's too late...  burnt up voice coil that froze up in the gap  :s
    D1PP1N
  • Yeah, I didn't even think of that.  I probably should have checked the temp of those cones with the IR thermometer. At least I know they are broken in now!

Sucks you burnt one. At least they are cheap to replace. Are you planning to bring your's to Grinnell? 
  • Probably not.  I hope to have the Clinchers done and will bring those.
  • I looked for the diamond plate at Menards without any luck.  Do you have as sales # or upc code for the product?
  • Thanks much Tom.