Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

RAD Update

Well after a few failed attempts to pass the distributorship over to someone else, I’ve decided to keep things going. There have been a few changes however.

• I quit my manufacturing consulting job for less driving and less headaches. :)
  • I’ve taken on a customer service role with Rival. This involves visiting OEM customers who I know anyway. No biggie.
  • RAD now has the option to carry any competing drivers we see fit. We are just in the organization stage for shipping rates etc. That will take a bit of work.

There are other things like the opportunity to get some of their larger drivers (8’’, 10’’ & 12’’) and some 4.75’’ & 5.5’’. This is all pretty relaxed at the moment, so we’ll see how everything goes. There’s pricing and MOQ to deal with and that can get a bit crazy. It would be great to offer something other than 7’’ drivers and I’m familiar with most of their line-up. I would really like to get their 5.5’’ brute. We’ll see what the next couple of months bring.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Leon

jr@macS7910rjj45jhollandergreywardencssaudio1dcibelSilver1omokonfyousedBryan@MACand 2 others.

Comments

• Awesome dude. Do they make any tweeters?
  • No tweeters, but I'm working on something for that.
  • Great news!  Best wishes.
  • Great news. Looking forward to seeing what the larger driver options are.
  • Glad to see you're keeping it going!  

Dan
  • We'll see what happens with the larger woofers. I'm not going to just jump on them. They are every bit as good a Scan and in some ways better. My fear is that I order them and be stuck with them.
    Rival prices their drivers more in line with SEAS Prestige. It is hard to tell why people buy certain drivers and not others.
    I'll keep working on it to see if I can get a reasonable amount. There's no way I can handle their usual MOQ, but having a foot in the door helps. 

• Gowa said:
    It is hard to tell why people buy certain drivers and not others.

A huge reason is that people don't know Rival exists, since PE, Madisound, and Meniscus do not carry the drivers.
    Even a little publicity on social media would help a lot. 

You know, if you have a driver you'd like to carry, but the MOQ is too high, you could try doing a Kickstarter campaign for the order. Everyone that signs up gets some drivers at a discount. This will also grow name recognition.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I have a pair of the 176-GF-08. wouldn't mind another pair for sure. Very nice looking cones. If anyone has a pair of those, we can talk trades/purchase. 

I also have a pair of 152-KJ-08. I was hoping the 176-KC-08 was a better cosmetic match, they are kind of close but the KC is heavily treated, obscuring quite a bit of the cone material detail. The KJ appears to have very light treatment. 

That being said, these are pretty nice drivers. I have heard a few designs with them now, and have some upcoming projects that will be ready for next year of my own. The TS parameters on them can be challenging for the "deep bass small space" crowd, but are otherwise just fine. 
    I have a signature.
  • rjj45 said:
    Gowa said:

A huge reason is that people don't know Rival exists, since PE, Madisound, and Meniscus do not carry the drivers.

You know, if you have a driver you'd like to carry, but the MOQ is too high, you could try doing a Kickstarter campaign for the order. Everyone that signs up gets some drivers at a discount. This will also grow name recognition.
    Rival will compete too much with MAD's line-up.  I'm pretty sure that George sent Meniscus an invite before he retired from Rival. If memory serves, they didn't reply. I know that Rival is interested in a US distributor, but not aggressively pursuing it.
    For social Media, I'm not good at that at all. I rely totally on organic marketing with word of mouth and people sharing across Social Media. 

Friday is my last day at the plastic manufacturing gig. Starting Monday, I'll be 1-2 days a week visiting Rival clients.

Rival will be running the 8'' matte black aluminum in September. That is a very cool looking driver. I'm trying to get in on that run. I'm waiting to know that they will be running without custom changes. It's a nice driver without, but many times the clients want changes to suit their application.
  • jr@mac said:
    I have a pair of the 176-GF-08. wouldn't mind another pair for sure. Very nice looking cones. If anyone has a pair of those, we can talk trades/purchase. 

I also have a pair of 152-KJ-08. I was hoping the 176-KC-08 was a better cosmetic match, they are kind of close but the KC is heavily treated, obscuring quite a bit of the cone material detail. The KJ appears to have very light treatment. 

That being said, these are pretty nice drivers. I have heard a few designs with them now, and have some upcoming projects that will be ready for next year of my own. The TS parameters on them can be challenging for the "deep bass small space" crowd, but are otherwise just fine. 
    I really like the Rival paper drivers, but my favorites are the KB and KJ. They are both Kevlar, but the KB has no coating with aluminum dustcap.
    Some of the coating's raw materials are brought from Europe and formulated in Canada. The KC is sandwich layered with 2 different coatings. They have another which is similar to the KC. It is called KVC. It has 3 distinct layers.
    As a note; the P and KB are common runs and usually readily available. I've been told that the CP may make an appearance again and they improved its coating. Like with most manufacturing companies, product improvements are routine.

rjj45
  • This is all really great news! Cant wait to see all the new drivers on the horizon!
  • rjj45 said:
    Gowa said:

I'm a social media Fumble Bunny. It is definitely a weak point in my knowledge. I've been relying on others to pass the word through the forums and Facebook etc. However, I haven't seen much of that happening, which is a bit disappointing.
    If I advertise through social media it will add to the cost of the drivers. If I introduce special packaging, it will add to the cost of the drivers. I've been trying everything I can to keep the prices reasonable for DIY'ers with a shallow wallet.
    This is what concerns me a bit about bringing in Rival's larger drivers. I am concerned that just like the 7'', people won't see the value. I'm still mulling that over.:)

• Big L - I hear ya, buddy. It's always the same stocking decisions "What will sell?" - 
    So I understand and appreciate your social media ineptness. I don't claim any particular
    knowledge, but you gotta think "ground up" and "free".
    So, open a Facebook account for RAD. Announce some builds and kits, get some word of mouth going (for free).
    Maybe have a small giveaway lottery for new members.
    I think "DIY Loudspeaker Pad" on FB has something like 10K members now. Drop a few messages there
    about drivers and prices, and then word of mouth will kick in big time when people talk about their builds.
    All this is pretty much free so far.
    I think your packaging and delivery times are good, but (of course) it would be nice to have cheaper shipping.
    You might also build in a partial reductions of the quoted shipping prices into your price structure.

I think you have the right idea, "word of mouth", you just got to pull a few more strings.
    Good luck.
    konfyoused
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I actually worked in a marketing dept in another life.  :/
    Much to the dismay of the folks at Rival, I've had some BIG sales with the intention of getting the products in the right hands and garnering some reviews, post, builds etc. Strangely, none of that happened.  :o

Kits are an investment that can get quite expensive when you tag the cost of drivers, crossover parts, cabinets and  shipping etc. Curt Campbell was kind enough to share his talent for the Slapshot MTM kit that I thought would be a great seller. To my ears, that is a stellar speaker which is easy on the wallet and easy to build. To date, I haven't seen one build of the Slapshot. Go figure.  :o

Shipping is always a pain to deal with. Compared to most of RAD's competitors, RAD has the best rates. With that said, RAD can change to flat-rate shipping at any time and it may be a future consideration.

Anyway, everything is a work in progress as we try to refine.  :)

• Congratulations on the Wavecor products!
  • Great prices too!
    rjj45
  • I've heard a lot about Geoff Millar's 'SlapShot' pair, and I believe he did post pictures, but he's the only one I know of.
  • Yes I saw that one. It was modified from the original, plus none of the build process was posted, so I didn't consider it.
  • edited September 2018
    The main drivers that RAD carries consistently are R176-KB-08 and R176-P-08.

This week we will be re-formatting the RAD site. RAD will not offer any products other than Rival, except for some coils. In order to get the absolute best price for DIY'ers, RAD will be concentrating solely on Rival products. I'm trying to get the 'P' and 'KB' drivers out for around $60. This is the price that I've been fighting for and hope to have that nailed down by next week. 
    We don't have many of the R176-KC-08 left in stock. We will blow those out at $82.29 per pair. :o The 'Builders Pack' will stay at $47.69 for a short while.  :o

• I was trying to order yesterday, but got a "Checkout isn't available in preview" message. Maybe it's a sign that I already have enough drivers on the shelf.
    PWRRYDS7910rjj45Gowa
  • Tom_S said:
    I was trying to order yesterday, but got a "Checkout isn't available in preview" message. Maybe it's a sign that I already have enough drivers on the shelf.
    We closed the store for the long weekend. Open Tuesday.
  • Thanks for the update! I'll order first thing tomorrow morning.
  • Sean won't be back until Wednesday, so I opened the store now. 
  • edited September 2018
    D1PP1N said:
    Awesome dude. Do they make any tweeters?
    RAD was going to pick up a tweeter line, but we backed out. The quality is astounding, but we couldn't get the price/MOQ we wanted. It's not dead, but way down the list. We may revisit in a couple of months. Currently, we are trying to get some 8'' aluminum drivers that we like. It's another one of those 'grab them when you can' type things. We'll know in a couple weeks.
    konfyoused