Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The Replicants

I was planning on bringing the Polymers to Iowa 2018, but my 3d printer and 200+ hours printing for each speaker conspired against me! So instead, I'll bring them around next year. Instead, I'll be bringing... The Replicants!

This is a place holder thread I'll fill in as I finish them in the next few days. Core info to follow:

PE .75 cubic feet MTM cabs with 3d printed baffles:
baffles have: 5 degree slant, custom fit for dome midrange, faceted edges.

Loadout:
  • W: Usher 8945A, vented, tuned to 40 hz, 36 hz F3 in model.
  • M: Hivi DMB-A 2" dome, faceplate removed, mounted direct to baffle.
  • T: Dayton Mini AMT in custom vector guide, 104mm size.
I'm calling them the Replicants because A; I'm a blade runner fan, and B: a lot of copying is taking place. The usher is a known copy of the famous ScanSpeak 7", and I'm planning on copying Scott's crossover from the Indium 7 (same similar mid) with tweaks.

More details to come
= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
D1PP1NPWRRYDTurn2rjj45Nicholas_23WolfS7910ScottS

Comments

• Interesting! (I was thinking Stargate, but those are 'Replicators'...)
  • edited October 2018
    First bump on this journey, one of the DMB-A I got is borked (bad voicecoil guessing from the impedance sweep). Not time to get replacements to test, so let's get creative:

Fountek FR59EXE (as I already had a pair) in a 3d printed adapter plate to allow it to mount where the DMB-A should go.

We will see how this measure up, and that will determine if I decide to bring these to Iowa or not.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Rear chamber for the little guy?
  • edited October 2018
    PWRRYD said:
    Rear chamber for the little guy?
    For sure. I'll post that pic next, once I attach it to the plate with some polyseamseal adhesive caulk. It is a plastic cap from a small container of country time lemonade, lol.
    kennyk
  • At least you didn't use an empty peanut can. :p   
    JasonP
  • So I didn't actually realize it, but once I attached the rear chamber with the adhesive caulk, I made my own little fully replaceable sealed midrange unit! That is too say, can't get in and replace the driver ever. I'd have to toss the entire thing and rebuild it with a new driver. Front plate JB welded to driver, so that ain't coming off easy lol.

• Dayton AMT in shallow vector plate (10mm deep):

Bad design on this one. If I had thought it through, I could have easy hid the weld to the driver. As it is, you can see the adhesive from the front just barely.
  • Oh, I forgot to post the baffle design, done in FreeCAD with CSG:

The seam in the middle is intentional, they are two parts. My printer isn't large enough for something half a meter long.
    Silver1omo
  • How you gonna mount the mid to the enclosure?
  • Wolf said:
    How you gonna mount the mid to the enclosure?
    There are 6 screw holes for M4 bolts that, while meant for the HiVi, will work fine for this. Getting the length right will be key.