Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Non serrated 5" hook and loop sanding discs

Most better sand paper/discs have a serrated coating to help keep them from clogging quickly. Serrated coatings can cause fish eyes in water based top coats so they're not recommended to be used. I'm struggling to find a brand that doesn't use serrated coatings in a 5" hook & loop with vent holes that I can use on my DA.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jim

Comments

• Best sanding disc hands down. We use them for any type of paint.
  • Mirka mesh is great for MDF too, lasts a good long time without clogging.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited October 2018
    Thanks for the reply. I've also been a big fan of Mirka mesh discs but, per their website, Mirka uses serrates to improve performance. I've not had a lot of problems with fish eyes but occasionally do have one pop up. It could have been contamination rather than the discs but I thought I'd try to clean up my process as well as get the best discs for the products I use if I can.

Thanks again!

Jim
  • Have you checked out Diablo from Home Depot?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Have you checked out Diablo from Home Depot?
    Hi John,

I'd looked at them but couldn't find info. So, I just sent them a a question regarding serrates. That would be very convenient if they are serrate free.

Thanks for jogging my memory to follow up.

Jim
  • It's my recollection that most Aluminum Oxide grits get serrates.  I had thought that Silicon Carbide was serrate free until I read the Mirka web site.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited October 2018
    Hi Roman,

thank you for the link. I'd not heard of Hanko discs before. However, it seems that they are using serrates too.

Please keep the suggestions coming! I appreciate the help!

Jim
  • Mirka Gold and their various mesh discs are ok. So are 3M gold and the Norton disks.
    They do have stearates, which is ok imo. The stearates really help prolong the life of hte disc and really help prevent pinning and other problems that can ruin the finish.
    What's important is to clean the surface properly before applying the wb coating.
    Wipe with a water dampened cloth to get most of the crud off the surface. Then wipe again with a cloth with a 50/50 mix of water and denatured alcohol. This will dry quickly and remove contaminates.
    This is my routine and I haven't had any issues with fisheyes or other problems.
    Hope this helps.