Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New Dipole Project

I was impressed with Andy's dipole project in Iowa last weekend.  The dipole bass was really impressive.  It was smooth and natural, and it didn't change much as I moved around the room.  Not long after it played I started discussing project ideas with John Hollander.  We've emailed back and forth a bit since then and I started building some prototype test baffles today.

I went to Menard's this morning and found a couple of 2'x4'x3/4" particle board handi-panels that had their corners bashed in.  I talked to the store manager and was able to buy them for $2 each  :)

Anyway, here is the beginning of my first prototype:

I free handed the curved cuts with my saber saw so they aren't exactly perfect.  Good enough for getting some test measurements and listening impressions.

Comments

• Cut the woofer hole free hand with the saber saw too:

D1PP1N
  • Here is the Lab15-4 sitting in the hole:

Turn2Nicholas_23D1PP1N
  • I bought a pair of 5" Gradient mids from JR last weekend that will be my first test for this project.  I don't know what I will try for tweeters yet.
  • Your putting a smile on my face....   see the minidsp in the background.

Don't forget to try a deep and very narrow cut at the speakers fs in combo with the low shelf / eq for the front to rear cancellation...
  • tajanes said:
    Your putting a smile on my face....   see the minidsp in the background.

Don't forget to try a deep and very narrow cut at the speakers fs in combo with the low shelf / eq for the front to rear cancellation...
    Oh yeah Andy!  I was taking in what you were saying Brother ;)
  • Is it beneficial to have a narrow or wider baffle for the mid/top end?
  • edited October 2018
    my 2 cents: could go either way, but in any event helps to measure mid and its low end rolloff (mounted on baffel) in determining the woofer slope and cut frequency - I know, dah    ...but OB provides challenge and opportunity to manage baffel step / OB rolloff thru balancing W and mid transfers   (and no box for mid/vocals... if you have ability to place speakers out a bit more into the room)
  • A narrow baffle moves the dipole higher in the FR. this is generally preferred if you want constant directivity, or smoother off axis response. 
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I think I'll start my experiments using a pair of RS28AS I have on my shelf.
  • I'll be watching with great interest. I know almost nothing about dipoles, but have been sifting through the Linkwitz site a bit.
  • Good thing these are only cheap $2 particle board prototypes...

I started to router the tweeter rebate and ran into the mid rebate.

Like John Hollander says he does, I will have lots of blue painter's tape, cardboard, and whatever it takes to arrive at a good baffle. 
    rjj45
  • don't forget the bondo... :)
  • I hate the smell of Bondo...  probably fill in my mistake with drywall mud.
  • edited October 2018
    That Elmer's wood filler was pretty good.  It almost looks like MDF when dry and shaped.  I hate Bondo, but I have no patience for stuff to dry.
  • My little save.

D1PP1N
  • I've purchased and used that Elmers wood filler twice.  I really liked it.  But both times the second time I went to use it the entire container was dried out.  I even put the container in a zip lock bag and forced all the air out.
  • Dap PlasticWood has been good to me. Store it upside down though.
    rjj45
  • PWRRYD said:
    I've purchased and used that Elmers wood filler twice.  I really liked it.  But both times the second time I went to use it the entire container was dried out.  I even put the container in a zip lock bag and forced all the air out.
    I've used the Elmer's wood filler and like it as well. When it dries out, what I've done is add a very small amount of water, let it sit a minute or so to soak in, and stir, repeating the process until it is back to the proper consistency for use.
    PWRRYD