Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

05 Mazda 6 Car Audio

edited September 2016 in DIY
Ok, so I have 6x8s in the door (Bose option is 6.5") and a tweeter in the A-pillar pod. If I use any off-the-shelf system, I'll have a dormant tweeter. I have a 35 minute or so commute, so I listen to music Phone=>BT=>FM right now and my right channel is gone, except the tweeter, which is super annoying. On the way to work, unless it's January, I have the A/C on, but on my way home, I roll with the windows down. So I'm looking for something that will sound good in both scenarios and be able to play loud with the windows down. 

What I'm proposing is this:
 - Pioneer DEH-80PRS ($250) + Dash kit ($200!!)
 - Pioneer PRS-D800 (CEDIA-2006 0.004% THD, 105dB SNR) $175 on amazon
 - Dayton PM180-8 (Maybe a different woofer? Need 91+dB @ 4R) $92 each, kinda pricey
 - Faital Pro 3FE22 (Dash-mounted with Tweeter, small neo magnet, 91dB, 4R) $32 each, tiny magnets
 - Vifa NE19VTS-4 (Tiny, 91dB, Small, 4R, Miniscule... little) $32 each, matches the mids...? idk.
 - Passive crossover (won't be easy) ONE-BEEEELLION-DOLLARS (j/k)
 - Subwoofers (not sure) three 10" IB/Open air? idk.

I was thinking about mounting the tweeter/mid together on the A-pillars, I've done fiberglass work before, but I'd have to do it in the winter. Woofers in the doors with MDF adapters, simple stuff. That's all I have planned for now, I'm open to pretty much any suggestions. 

Oh yeah I listen to... well I hate to say it, but pretty much everything, no rap (kinda, not really) and no country (I'd have to use my safe word).

TIA
deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)

Comments

• What about this woofer for the door, anyone have any experience with it? $17 vs $92

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-1732-/55-1732
  • Qts is really low for a door mounted driver that is essentially a large leaky box. You might see 100hz out of it. 
  • Ok cool if y'all can find anything more appropriate I'm open to suggestions
  • Quite a few people have used the RS180 in the doors.
  • Yeah, the Dayton PM isn't going to play too low in a door, either. In fact, any 6-7" with true sensitivity at 92db is going to sacrifice output below 150Hz - even in a ginormous enclosure. Just the nature of the beast. 

That being said, the Dayton has some Xmax to spare and will handle some EQ down low to plump it up a bit. Will consume gobs of amplifier overhead, of course - effectively reducing the sensitivity - see where this is going? 

High sensitivity drivers are great - but in order to maintain the relative sensitivity something has to go. Modern EQ and monster amps can give the illusion of bending Hoffman's law - but it is still very much in effect. 

My vote is to step down in price and up in Qts and look at that weird $20 Peerless 6.5" over at PE, or the 4 ohm silver poly Goldwood 6.5". Both will get you real output below 100 hz and you can compensate for your reduced sensitivity needs by turning them up higher. 

Sadly, other than hit or miss models from Aurum Cantus, higher end High Q drivers are no longer made - and pretty sure most of the AC high Q stuff is due to shit QC, not because they want to target the automotive crowd. 
    I have a signature.
  • Dang, you just pointed out three drivers I was looking at a few minutes ago haha. I see your point there.
  • So I used the woofer selection tool and sorted for lowest sealed F3, and the Visaton W170S-8 was one of the more reasonable selections and half the price of the Dayton. Any thoughts, experience?