Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

SB Acoustics Two Way

edited September 2016 in DIY
This is another project that I have been working on the last few months. Last year Solen had had some SB drivers on sale for almost 50% off, so I picked up a set of the SB26STC tweeters and the SB17MFC woofers. My original plan was to build a floor stand speaker but then I got inspired by Wolf's widebody competition. I got my idea for the cabinet layout from the Humble Hifi Plutone. I thought it might be fun to try something different. The boxes were built a while back and then I started measuring the drivers to start the crossover design. My Omnimic was giving me some funny results so I sent it back to PE for repair. Six weeks later they sent me back a new mic. So with a new mic in hand I started measuring - it was much better results with the new mic. I have been just playing around with the crossovers the last few weeks and listening to a few different crossover setups. I think i'm getting close to one that I am happy with. I took some Omnimic screen shots but didn't save any of the PCD stuff though.

greywardenJasonP

Comments

• Measured response looks great. That is a nice pairing of quality SB drivers, bet they sound terrific. Where did you end up crossing at? What slopes? Did you get a lot of bloom (boost) from the wide baffle?
    PWRRYD
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • JasonP said:
    Measured response looks great. That is a nice pairing of quality SB drivers, bet they sound terrific. Where did you end up crossing at? What slopes? Did you get a lot of bloom (boost) from the wide baffle?
    The crossover ended up just under 2k with a 2nd order slope on the woofer and 3rd on the tweeter. The tweeter output above 10k was about 5 db up from the rest of the response so I had to tame that down. I used a series coil/resister after the crossover which seemed to bring it down to a nice level.
  • Now that I have finished my other build it is time to get this project moving again. I got my x-over parts and got them assembled and got one cabinet veneered. One cabinet used almost a whole roll of veneer so I need to go get another roll to finish the other speaker. Might be a bit before I get more veneer as the store I buy from is a 2 hour round trip away in the car. I used a Varathane oil finish on these - so far got 4 coats on them. 

kennykFacegreywardenduanebroMzissersonJasonP
  • Well these are done and playing in the living room as I type. Nice smooth sound with a nice little low end thump to them. 

I'm pretty happy with the finish, but did have a few small bumps in the veneer show up on one side, and few small other spots that weren't perfect. I'm going to let them play for a week to properly break the drivers in and then take some more measurements. I also need to name them...

Cheers! B)
  • You can try using a pic to pop the bubbles and roll them out assuming its not totally finished.
  • Very Nice! Look like Audio Note stuff.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • kennyk said:
    Very Nice! Look like Audio Note stuff.
    Thanks Kenny, 

I got the inspiration from the Plutone's,

FaceJasonP