Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

midwest winters

Drove into work today , wind blowing and county plows were out . They turned the highway county roads into ice skating rinks with the help of the prairie winds . Needless to say , I was able to leave, since the weather wasnt going to be much better come night fall. There is a good gust here right now, and now come night there isnt much if any visibility on the way home. I was fortunate to have another co worker thats training me take the shift and stay the night until/if the morning crew comes in . Its still a government job but the area Im in requires the dept to stay staffed. I personally thank him for booting my ass out the door albeit with my limited PTO.
Still love this old girl , so many new parts, but hell if I cant say she isnt reliable..... minus the rust. Be safe out there pepes

dynamoR-Carpenter
«13

Comments

  • I love that Cherokee! It’s so amazing how capable they are.
    gene_stl
  • ....as long as a grown adult didn't have to get in and sit in the back seat. Man, those were tight! Bad-road worthy though, that is for sure.
  • I couldn't get my 1999 Grand Cherokee stuck.  That thing would go through 24" of snow.  It was amazing except for the 12/18 gpm.
  • ...and the back seat was more comfortable and spacious too! The main differences are the updating styling and a longer chassis/cabin. If we could have afforded one, we likely never would have looked at the Subaru- but we love it!
  • I love the look of those old Jeeps. That's a classic and the roof rack is very cool! The last time I was looking for a vehicle, I was stunned by how well Jeeps hold their value.
  • I know where Nick lives and works - not being a stalker, we are friends - and I am not envious of the roads and terrain between his work and his house. Our area of SoDak is anything but flat, is one of the windiest places one Earth, and it flat out sucks driving around here some days.
    I have a signature.
  • Wolf said:
    ...and the back seat was more comfortable and spacious too! The main differences are the updating styling and a longer chassis/cabin. If we could have afforded one, we likely never would have looked at the Subaru- but we love it!
    My Subaru Forester will drive pretty safely on pure ice. Symmetric all-wheel drive. 
    Heard that they are very popular up in the Wyoming mountains.
    Don, Donno, or "Hey you" all work for me, But never "Mr Johnson"
  • edited December 2018
    rjj45 said:
    Wolf said:
    ...and the back seat was more comfortable and spacious too! The main differences are the updating styling and a longer chassis/cabin. If we could have afforded one, we likely never would have looked at the Subaru- but we love it!
    My Subaru Forester will drive pretty safely on pure ice. Symmetric all-wheel drive. 
    Heard that they are very popular up in the Wyoming mountains.
    Subies FTW! I sure don't miss those prairie winds, but I'm not convinced that the Okanagan hills are any better for driving conditions when it snows. The girlfriend drives a Forester, and I have an old WRX, best car I've ever had, especially for snow driving.


    rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Looks like fun.
  • edited December 2018
    My sister in law and her two girls are driving down from the twin cities to Rockford as we speak.  She texted my wife that I90/94 was pretty bad around Black River Falls WI.
  • PWRRYD said:
    My sister in law and her two girls are driving down from the twin cities to Rockford as we speak.  She texted my wife that I90/94 was pretty bad around Black River Falls WI.
    Always got to look out for the other driver.
    Good news is that people tend to take care of one another if things really crap out.

    Don, Donno, or "Hey you" all work for me, But never "Mr Johnson"
  • rjj45 said:
    PWRRYD said:
    My sister in law and her two girls are driving down from the twin cities to Rockford as we speak.  She texted my wife that I90/94 was pretty bad around Black River Falls WI.
    Always got to look out for the other driver.
    Good news is that people tend to take care of one another if things really crap out.

    You obviously haven't driven in Wisconsin LOL.
    Nicholas_23
  • I'll take either one of our Subys over that old cj7 we used to have.  The first and last Jeep we will ever own.  
    Nicholas_23
  • PWRRYD said:
    rjj45 said:
    PWRRYD said:
    My sister in law and her two girls are driving down from the twin cities to Rockford as we speak.  She texted my wife that I90/94 was pretty bad around Black River Falls WI.
    Always got to look out for the other driver.
    Good news is that people tend to take care of one another if things really crap out.

    You obviously haven't driven in Wisconsin LOL.
    Or Illinois!  ;)
    Nicholas_23
  • Wont lie guys , I enjoyed the hell out of the subaru when we had it in the fleet. Great car ,took me back and forth 60 miles a day during the winter a few years back. She was an older 97 outback with the 2.5 , I liked how it handled and rode vs the forester . The old outback was a smoother ride vs the inlaws forester. P.S. keep an eye on those 2.5 head gaskets . 
  • rjj45 said:
    PWRRYD said:
    My sister in law and her two girls are driving down from the twin cities to Rockford as we speak.  She texted my wife that I90/94 was pretty bad around Black River Falls WI.
    Always got to look out for the other driver.
    Good news is that people tend to take care of one another if things really crap out.

    Indeed , there are still a few good folks out there, if I can help I will . 
  • dynamo said:
    I love that Cherokee! It’s so amazing how capable they are.
    Thanks Dynamo , it really has been a good rig . I like the fact that I can work on it and isnt stupid complicated . When something comes up , I just hit the google or a forum and BOOM , heres how to fix it and or make it better/gooder... 
  • Wont lie guys , I enjoyed the hell out of the subaru when we had it in the fleet. Great car ,took me back and forth 60 miles a day during the winter a few years back. She was an older 97 outback with the 2.5 , I liked how it handled and rode vs the forester . The old outback was a smoother ride vs the inlaws forester. P.S. keep an eye on those 2.5 head gaskets . 
    Yep, the "Fuji Heavy Industry" vaunted quality engineering took a big hit with those head gaskets. 
    Sort of bite in the ass for me. I dumped a 95 Taurus with a head gasket problem, only to buy a 2003 Forester (that I loved)
    that developed a head gasket problem.
    Don, Donno, or "Hey you" all work for me, But never "Mr Johnson"
  • Apparently the HG problem has been fixed, only to have oil consumption problems for the new manual transmission 2.0 engines. Some also have chain chatter from the timing chain, and that starts at about 30k. The 2015 Forester Premium CVT does not seem to have these issues.
  • I have two friends who loved and defended the Subarus for years.... then after HG issues and major oil consumption issues they dumped their Subs and switched to Nissans.
    rjj45
  • The AWA's 13' 2.5i Legacy likes oil.  Passenger side valve cover leaks some, but that's not it.  The thing will go 2k and never use a drop of oil, then all of a sudden it's half a quart low.  No clue why or how. 

    Drove the STI around for 4 years with 475ft/lb 430hp to the wheels then decided that wasn't enough.  It's still sitting in the driveway.    
  • We finally got a bunch of snow last night, my lawn was still bare and green until yesterday. 

    Didn't take the WRX out for some fun though, maybe tomorrow. Until then, all I can offer is an old photo from when I finally got it back from the shop after being side-swiped by a school bus.


    I can honestly say it's been a super reliable car, I've had it I think 7 years now and the only engine work its needed is valve cover gaskets, an oil pressure switch, and the worst was the coolant reservoir sprung a leak. Subaru must have known the reservoir tanks were a problem, any newer model than mine has a metal tank, where mine was fibreglass reinforced nylon or something like that. Plastic stuff anyway that couldn't take the heat for 20+ years.



    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I bought a Jeep wrangler '15 just for crappy weather, best decision I made.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Best vehicle I've ever driven in snow was my 93 Bravada. 
    I have a signature.
  • I always liked the looks of the early Bravadas, reminds me of the GMC Typhoon.
  • This was white with red leather. Vortex 4.3, 4000+ pounds. 
    I have a signature.
  • My sister just gave me her Volvo S80 AWD.  It has a five cylinder sidewinder turbo.  Imagine a Crown Vic with all wheel drive.  It gets around pretty good in the snow and ice we are having this year.  Usually St. Louis winters are pretty wimpy but this year we are pretending to be Iowans or Wisconsinians.
  • edited January 2019
    gene_stl said:
    My sister just gave me her Volvo S80 AWD.  It has a five cylinder sidewinder turbo.  Imagine a Crown Vic with all wheel drive.  It gets around pretty good in the snow and ice we are having this year.  Usually St. Louis winters are pretty wimpy but this year we are pretending to be Iowans or Wisconsinians.
    Wisconites, or Sconnies, for short.   =)  And right now you'd have to be tougher than average.  It's Zero right now and heading down to -15.  Bet it's even colder in SD!
  • We had 9 and 14.  We haven't hit zero yet but it's not unknown.  But as I said, "pretending".  This week there were like four or five Alberta Clippers in a row.  At least we're not having a polar vortex.  Good time for tubes and Class A amps.
  • Zero is next week in Stl
     John H, thanks to JP I did get that email
Sign In or Register to comment.