Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• Doh!  Attach image, not attach file!  Here are some of my measurements

1. Sub pre-amp output (before low pass filter), "flat" and boost switch positions.
    2. Same measurement after modifications.
    3. Sub amp output at various low pass settings, stock unit.  4 ohm load
    4. Same measurement after modifications.
    5. Satellite frequency response, stock fixed highpass filter F3 = 85 Hz, no mods made.
    6. Satellite THD at various power levels, 4 ohm load.  Lowest trace is my loopback test.  My test setup is limited to measuring 20W.

kennyk6thplanetR-CarpenterThumperTom
  • Well that's fucking sweet! Care to list modifications? 
    PWRRYD
  • I did this last year so give me a few days to dig through my notes.
  • If you find your notes and are willing to share, please let us know.  I'll probably order two of those plate amps.  They, along with your modifications, look perfect for a couple projects I have in mind.
    6thplanet
  • Today the Peerless TC10FG00-04 is on sale
    https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-tc10fg00-04-4-full-range-line-array-driver-4-ohm--264-1360
    What I noticed about this driver and most of the Peerless TC series with cloth surround is the 2-3dB increase in sensitivity but also the rough mid-band frequency response. The roughness in the response seems to be due to the surround non linearity and lack of damping. The rubber surround drivers in the TC series have smoother response and lower FS & Sensitivity. I think the cloth surround is lighter weight and that improves the efficiency and raises the FS of the driver. What would be nice is if there was some type of surround that could be light weight and more linear like the rubber surrounds. Having a driver with higher efficiency reduces the power compression because it takes less power to produce the output level.

• Shawn_K said:
    Today the Peerless TC10FG00-04 is on sale
    https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-tc10fg00-04-4-full-range-line-array-driver-4-ohm--264-1360
    What I noticed about this driver and most of the Peerless TC series with cloth surround is the 2-3dB increase in sensitivity but also the rough mid-band frequency response. The roughness in the response seems to be due to the surround non linearity and lack of damping. The rubber surround drivers in the TC series have smoother response and lower FS & Sensitivity. I think the cloth surround is lighter weight and that improves the efficiency and raises the FS of the driver. What would be nice is if there was some type of surround that could be light weight and more linear like the rubber surrounds. Having a driver with higher efficiency reduces the power compression because it takes less power to produce the output level.

Foam surround? Where does foam surround fall? A lot of the older drivers has foam surround which would rot over time, but modern drivers with coated foam surrounds are pretty long lasting. I have a couple of drivers with coated foam... 
  • These have a pretty interesting set of compromises and I've been wanting to try them for a while.  The quoted sensitivity jives pretty well with the calculated sensitivity, so 4 of these per side could yield a legit 98dB sensitivity speaker good down to 150-200Hz and just large enough to fit the drivers on a baffle.  35% off sounds like a good time to nab multiples.

Dan
  • They modelled well horn loaded and were a back up to the GRS 4FR in my Synergy horn
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails

• Edit:  I can't get the attachments to show up.  I use the "attach file" option, select the jpeg files and the files are displayed until I post.  Then they're gone.  I assume I'm making some stupid error. Any help?

As 6th says above, file attachments don't work right. I'd trade my kingdom for a reason why (been debugging more hours than I care to count). However if you upload a picture through the image button above the edit box, that works fine.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • rjj45 said:
    Anyone have insight into this PR buyout? It would be a pretty killer value if it had decent Xmax.
    https://www.parts-express.com/defined-audio-v12100lpva-12-high-mass-passive-radiator--299-4054

I worked through the suggested process for unknown passive radiators as stated by Jeff Bagby  in 2012, PETT
    PE has now updated the project page with:
    XMAX = 20 mm.

I ran LIMP ZMA tests with and without the added weight, ran close miked OM sweeps for Fb, and simulated various PR parameters in WBCD until I got very close to the measured results. The one anomaly I have in my data is that Qmp does not change a lot between no weight and added weight.
    No added weight:
    Fsp  16 Hz
    Vasp 75 liters
    Mmp 500 gm
    Qmp 15

575 gm added weight:
    Fsp 10.5
    Vasp 75 liters
    Mmp 1075 gm
    Qmp 15.2

Results should be close enough for design purposes. At $21 qty 4, it's a pretty great deal, IMHO.
    Don
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I worked through the suggested process for unknown passive radiators as stated by Jeff Bagby  in 2012, PETT

do you have a link for the process or how to go about it?

Can you take a couple of snaps of the front with/without the weight added? Do the weights go on the front or the back? Looking at the PE website, there seems to be an exposed nit or something on the front...

Regards
    Ani
  • My doc for the process. I followed Bagby's tips.
    I can supply my summary pages and printouts if needed.

Jeff Bagby PE Tech Talk 06-21-2012

There is a relatively simple way. First measure the free air parameters of your woofer. Then build a test box cut out for the woofer and the passive radiator. You need to know fairly prescisely the box volume and the Sd of the radiator. Make the box as air tight as possible so box Ql doesn't throw off what we will do next. Then mount the driver and the passive radiator in the box and measure the impedance. Now, using my Woofer Box and Circuit Designer program you can come pretty closee to backing out the parameters for the PR by entering the measured free air parameters for the woofer, the know box parameters, and the Sd for the passive. Then begin to dial in the Qmp and Mmp until you begin to match the tuning frequency, spacing, and height of the peaks in the measured system impedance. When you get them to match up well you will be very close on both Qmp and moving mass.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Weights attach to the front. Included 575 gm weight is monolith - one piece. Cone looks crappy in my pictures, but is actually very attractive waffle pattern on the front.
  • thanks Don

Are you planning to use different weights or go with this one?
  • ani_101 said:
    thanks Don

Are you planning to use different weights or go with this one?
    Honestly, I don't have a firm project in mind - I've recently bought on sale the Vifa NE315 12 inch,  an Ultimax 15 and Dayton's PN395. Could be used with any of them. With the included 575 gm weight, it tunes super low, and that can really take the stress off of a ported woofer below Fb. IIRC, the PR sims I played with show, for example, a woofer in a ported box has an Fb about 40, and exceeds xmax around 35 Hz. Using a PR tuned real low extends the xmax exceeded frequency to maybe 27 Hz or so, but I've simmed that alignment a couple of times. Have to run the sims when I get there next year. Got a couple of projects ahead of those - shelves are full of drivers I need to use!
    Hope this helps,
    Don
  • To those interested in my mods to the PE MCA2250E 2.1 amplifier:  The unit is currently loaned out so I can't take a picture, so I've attached my chicken scratching version of the schematic.   The components are positioned to match the board layout.  If someone buys a unit and uploads a picture I'd be happy to circle the components for clarity.  Until then:

The chip (TL074C quad op-amp) is located in the upper left corner of the board. 

Capacitors C1 through C6 (circled in blue, my numbering) are all 100 nF.  I replaced them with equivalent X8R versions to reduce harmonic distortion.   Replacing these made a large improvement in the subwoofer THD.

The four resistor changes are circled in green.  The resistor marked "MT" (300K) is removed and not replaced.  The others are 150K replaced with 75K, 18K replaced with 47K and 15K replaced with 36K.

The schematic shows the frequency control pot which is obviously off board.  The boost switch connections are shown on the far left of the schematic.

I created a public cart at Digikey (Link).  It has ten of each component, feel free to change that as you see fit.

rjj456thplanetThumperTomkennyk
  • Thanks Ed!  See you in a few weeks in Grand Rapids.
  • No one is jumping on the big ass Beston horn loaded planar tweeters?
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited September 2019
    dcibel said:
    No one is jumping on the big ass Beston horn loaded planar tweeters?
    For $75, I might go for the deal. Just sayin'  Nice flat FR though.
    kennyk
  • rjj45 said:
    dcibel said:
    No one is jumping on the big ass Beston horn loaded planar tweeters?
    For $75, I might go for the deal. Just sayin'  Nice flat FR though.

It shows as 143 on sale at 40% off?
  • Today's Deal Of The Day is the Dayton PM220, 33% off

• I thought the PM220 would be good inverted for a Ohm Walsh type of speaker. I also thought Chuck had a pair he was trying to move on.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I was an idiot and bought a pair for of those big fucking Beston a bit ago:

Now THATS a ribbon!
    DanPkennykS7910hifisidedynamokenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • Nice planar, that'll make some noise!
  • ND90 $14.73 
    rjj45
  • I love Schells, but Hefeweizen?  Come on JR, get with their Octoberfest!   :)
  • That's good shit, my friend. 
    I have a signature.
  • Nothing wrong with a Hefeweizen, the best I've had is brewed in @squamishdroc home town.

jr@mackennykdynamoJasonPsquamishdroc