Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• @a4eaudio said:
    I ordered 15 flashlights so I could get free shipping.

Smooth move there Ex-lax :p

6thplanet
  • I miss the good old days of Focal, Audax Max Fidelity, Bravo, Atlantic Tech, Peerless and Peerless of India buyouts, etc... those were great times to learn a lot for a little $.

rjj45
  • Yeah - remember when the monthly flier had 6 pages of hifi drivers with a few really great deals? Now it's down to 2 pages and most are Dayton drivers.

• And at regular prices...

• @Wolf said:
    You mean Bravox?

Ummm you obviously knew what I meant to type captain extra grace required 😱

rjj45
  • "captain extra grace required"

I don't even know what that means...

• @PWRRYD said:
    And at regular prices...

Yes! And when they do actually put something decent on sale, it's around 10% off, when it used to be 20% or even more. The last great score I recall were the 8" HDS woofers that I have yet to deploy in a design. Maybe they just aren't moving as many units these days to maintain the same overhead in the raw speaker division. It seems many of us have found quite a few drivers from other vendors to play with in the last few years.

• At least there is the GF180 for $25... Cheaper than the DC160 and appears to be pretty smooth through the midrange.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I was wondering about that one too. I really hope it meets the expectations and they can keep the price low. Last I checked, the good old RS180-8 had gone up to over $60!

PWRRYD
  • SALE!!!!!!! On all out of stock items. Those jackasses.

PWRRYD
  • @ScottS said:
    At least there is the GF180 for $25... Cheaper than the DC160 and appears to be pretty smooth through the midrange.

I looked at those as well. At $21 each (if you buy a quad) a medium sized tower could work pretty good. Not sure I'd do an MTM with them. Maybe a WWMT with that $25 HiVi dome mid and an affordable tweeter. Could be fun.

• @Wolf said:
    "captain extra grace required"

I don't even know what that means...

If you look around the group meeting and can't figure out who the EGR person is.... it is probably you! LOL

• edited November 2021

That's not a phrase I'm familiar with either, but the internet search result knows all about it so I guess it's a real thing :)

We all need a little extra grace from time to time..

rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Uhh! I hate EGR's! They're so diluting of my intake. Yeah, they may be "cooling" to my overall combustion, but dang, they just throw my ratios all out of stoichiometry!

• @6thplanet said:
    Uhh! I hate EGR's! They're so diluting of my intake. Yeah, they may be "cooling" to my overall combustion, but dang, they just throw my ratios all out of stoichiometry!

The EGRs kill all the DI motors. I thought Seafoam or alcohol injection would help.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited November 2021

It's "Say-ahs, not Sees gabdambit".... this is really important I say

dcibel
  • Now pronounce Punktkilde correctly :)

6thplanet
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @dcibel said:
    Now pronounce Punktkilde correctly :)

I can.

"Punked Kaled Uh...

I have a signature.
  • "Poonkt-kill-duh"

And yes- "Say-Oz"

• I was being cheeky with my wording.....

.....but yeah, both EGR types are 👎

• Actually, it is "poonkt keel day".

I have a signature.
  • I'm damn lost, wth are you talking about?

• Punktkilde is a weird little division of Eastech, which owns Scan Speak now. It is always fun coaching proper pronunciation of European brands.

I know some Danish folk, I'll ask them.

Silver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • I took 4 years of German. It could be duh/day, kill/keel; could be north or south dialects as they are different.

• It is Danish. Danish is a Germanic language, of course, but after watching a nice 10 minute video of Danish rules - the "T" and the "K" in the middle of the word might actually be pronounced as a "D" and a "G". I is always pronounced "ee". So it could conceivably be pronounced as "poong'd geel day". However, the rules governing different sounds of a consonant depending where it falls in a word might not apply to something like this, which is actually two words "point" and "source". If it is anything like other German langauges, how to use borrowed/compound words are anyone's guess.

Using an online translator, the sound of the final consonant sounds more like "er", as in keeler, with emphasis on the second syllable. Hard to transcribe the accent, however.

I used to be conversationally fluent in German, I imagine Danish would be easy to pick up. I stopped conversing in German a year after high school when an old German woman I would visit passed away. It doesn't take long for the language skills to fade, although I do still dream in German from time to time.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Ach! Du sprichst! Bischen nur hier.
    I've never dreamed in it though, and was the star pupil of my class. Im amazed at what comes back to me from 25 years ago.

• In MX the language to learn is English, later I picked Portuguese. I want to retake Japanese.
    With COVID I got swamped and devolved to spanglish...

• I can ask "where is the toilet" in about 5 different languages. Comes in handy...

• Looking at the PE Holiday Flash Sale I see the APA150 is now $200 - on sale. I have a pair of them NIB (branded Franklin Audio) that I have no idea what to do with. I use a third for testing speakers and for that purpose it seems perfectly suited.

So for shits and giggles, I looked at a few other items. DC160 is $33 now.

Most of the GRS stuff is about 50% higher than this time last year.

PE rarely puts anything on-sale, and when they do the discounts are rarely enticing. I'm not sure what is going on over there, but I hope it is temporary. I don't mind paying occasional price increases - hell, that is how the world works - but damn.

rjj45
    I have a signature.