Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• I like it ^
    That's what we used to call "bread-boarding".
    :+1:

• No, those are printed circuit boards.

This is a bread board.

rjj456thplanet
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Weird mine has no noise. I have a no chassis MiniDSP that is noisy and no gain to it.

• Dude, I still feel bad about that whole fiasco.

I have a signature.
  • @dcibel said:
    No, those are printed circuit boards.

This is a bread board.

All the lumber in his chassis and home-brewed work led me to bread-boards.

Have you not ever stolen mamma's bread cutting board, drawn out a circuit schematic on it them pounded copper nails into it at all the connection points and soldered discrete electronic components upon it to test out a design?

THAT is bread-boarding . . .

=)

rjj45Silver1omo
  • edited February 2022

@Steve_Lee said:

Have you not ever stolen mamma's bread cutting board, drawn out a circuit schematic on it them pounded copper nails into it at all the connection points and soldered discrete electronic components upon it to test out a design?

THAT is bread-boarding . . .

=)

I found this image online, I guess you can say this guy is bread-boarding ;)

I don't know what's more alarming, the crazy expensive and massive Dueland components, or the fact that they're being connected with dollar store alligator leads. You'd think you'd have to use only the best platinum infused cobalt plated unobtainium for those.

Steve_LeeSilver1omo
  • And he is using a drill on carpet that is probably his living room floor.
    Must be a bachelor!

dcibelSteve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I ditched those kind of alligator leads a long time ago. Their resistance was shit.

PWRRYDrjj45
    I have a signature.
  • edited February 2022

Yep! very questionable connections with cheap-o alligators.

I try to use wago connectors where ever I need a temporary connection, but if I need an alligator I picked up these which are rather nice:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07YFD7D9V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a lot of clamping force for an alligator, and can use them with whatever banana leads I have lying around, or if you want a permanent connection just solder a wire in the banana hole.

• Hehehe "banana hole"....

I made a bunch of leads using heavy gators and 16awg wire. Much more better.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Mini grabber for me. We use them all the time at work.

• @jr@mac said:
    Dude, I still feel bad about that whole fiasco.

Was the count three or four bad 408s? PE was fairly eager to figure it out at first, later they got a bit agitated and sent a minidsp for hush money.

Of three minidsp, one nude, none have any noise and that is with the cheapest wallworts I could find.

• Not DOTD, but a guy has listed 3 Focal Audiom 7NV2 Polyglass midranges for $200 on ebay. No association with the seller. Thought someone here may be interested.

• Now all of the sudden PE drops the price of their Class-D https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-2.1BT2-100W-2.1-Class-D-Bluetooth-Amplifier-with-Sub-Frequency-Adjustment-300-3831 amp to pre silly pricing levels after having it priced at around $105+ for a while.
    Its a good little amp and used to be on sale for $75 which was a steal.

• I might change the name of this thread since it is pretty rare that PE DOTD has any real significance to our particular niche of DIY audio these days.

That being said, this seller on Fleabay has a bunch of OEM Clarity Caps for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/gashlycrumb27/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I picked up a pair of 15uF 630V caps for the Rival/Viawave build I am currently buttoning up for about $33 shipped. Not too terrible if they are well within tolerance.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • @dcibel said:
    No, those are printed circuit boards.

This is a bread board.

That is exactly how I bread boarded circuits in my college classes. It worked great and I learned a lot from that simple process. We even had a course where we had to manually lay out a 2 sided PCB (before the days of computer CAD programs that can easily do that now), mask it, etch it, and build the circuit. If it worked that was 70% of your course grade.

• I made many circuits that looked something similar to that photo above in my post-secondary schooling, I am an Electronics Technologist by trade after all. Most were not quite that involved, but in my analog design course we created a complicated chain of signal conversions that went from I think 0-10V to 4-20mA to frequency modulation back to 0-10V. It was a lot of fine tuning of all those conversions to get perfectly 0-10V in and 0-10V out with a bunch of mess in the middle ;)

We did PCB milling as well, but with software and a little CNC milling machine. Built our own PIC microcontroller programmers on the milling machine, I still have mine, but have probably lost the software to use it some time ago.

In high school I had a basic electronics course as well, where we did some acid etching. It wasn't that fancy, we literally just drew on the copper with a sharpie and then dunked it in acid. The sharpie is enough to protect it and make useful traces.

• I still use those breadboards. This project was on one last week. It's a dual-axis camera slider controller and it looked like a huge mess until I mounted it all up.

6thplanet
  • When I went to school we had to build a tube intercom as a project. I learned computer logic with a transistor based training computer like this that used core memory. For the course final they disabled 3 transistors and gave you a program that you had 2 hours to get running.

Ron

rjj45
  • Some youtube computer nerds recently did a nice video about a mechanical calculator that was pretty neat-o :)

• Ron - did she smack you with a ruler if you didn't complete the task?

And I don't think the name they used for that machine would get the green light these days!

4thtryTurn2
  • Reminds me of that scene in the Blues Brothers...

6thplanet
  • I just see Jane as the mother in the cone heads family . . .

rjj45
  • We had to make circuit boards with tape and drill holes then etching when I was in tech school - got through basic & industrial electronics then tried going for advanced math/electronics at night school while working a menial factory job in the carpet industry and fell out because they could not teach me what I could do with this knowledge nor demonstrate a use for it while I was young and I wanted to get out into the world and explore and make money and navigate my existence on my own (and afford chasing girls and cars).

Got into commercial/industrial building maintenance and electro-mechanical-pnuematic control systems then into DDC and wound-up in management for a controls manufacturing company then into consulting then covid pushed me out of the employment arena due to the constraints and funding issues that ensued after 45 years.

Dad was involved with the aviation industry as a Canadian technology contractor/technician and spent most of my childhood in SE Asia supporting the VN war and retrofitting military aircraft with what would eventually become today's flight recording black boxes and taught me how to read simple electrical schematics and about electromagnetism stuff by the time I was 6 YO.

Left home at 17 and somehow managed to apply myself sufficiently to retire at 62 - military school at 14 YO didn't hurt me one bit, either.

OK - back to the subject concerning good deals . . .

=)

• edited February 2022

@Tom_S said:
    Ron - did she smack you with a ruler if you didn't complete the task?

And I don't think the name they used for that machine would get the green light these days!

She was just in the picture I ran across. She was the first person with a PHD in computer science in the US and founded a computer science program at a college here in Iowa.

From Wikipedia: Mary Kenneth Keller, B.V.M. (December 17, 1913 – January 10, 1985) was an American Roman Catholic religious sister, educator and pioneer in computer science. She was the first person to earn a Ph.D. in computer science in the United States. Keller and Irving C. Tang were the first two recipients of computer science doctorates (Keller's Ph.D. and Tang's D.Sc. were awarded on the same day)

All of my instructors were male as were all my classmates. I'm one of the few people in the world that can say they graduated from Iowa State University at age 19.

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • I had a sister Mary. Ruler on your knuckles or yard stick on your butt. We had to clean chalkboard erasers by slapping them together after class. I still remember our duck and cover drills. My mother said I could count to 10 in 6 languages, but I don't remember that.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Interesting turn on this thread =)

I never attended schools that were affiliated, but my Irish grandmother on my moms side made sure we had our share of corporal punishment. Funny story (not necessarily funny 'hahaha') was I was born and baptized Catholic. My father comes from an Irish protestant family. When I was 8, we left the Catholic church and that was quite the scandal. I had no idea why there was such tension at family gatherings until many years later when I started learning about The Troubles. Both sets of grandparents ended up in the US due to the tension "at home" vis-a-vis religious affiliation, and then this happened. We kind of laugh about now, but 40 years ago the family was still pretty Irish.

Some of my fondest memories are of hanging out at Grandma's house on weekends listening to the old folk tell stories about home, singing songs, and drinking a lot of whiskey and beer. My grandma had six siblings and she had seven children, some of our gatherings could be quite large and energetic. My dad only had three siblings, but - his grand-parents emigrated to the US a few years after their first son was born (my grandpa). They proceeded to have 13 more children over the course of 25 years. By the time my grandpa was married and they had my dad, they still had two more kids to go. My dads uncles took the place of his cousins as his first best friends. What a family! On my dads side, we are spread quite heavily from Broadus, MT to Gillette, WY to Rapid City, SD. There is another lineage that emigrated to Canada in the days before their border restrictions were as non-favorable to "the bad guys". The one great-great-uncle of mine apparently rustled a few horses and heads of cattle and drove them straight to Manitoba and never came back.

Anyways, pretty crazy big (mostly) Irish families on both sides.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • One cool thing about this whole thing is, if I ever wanted to, I can claim Irish citizenship. Not high on my list (my roots are pretty deep in the midwest), but daydreams happen. I plan on going "home" someday, visit the Healy and Malley territories.

I have a signature.
  • I have had many a wooden spoon broken over my backside . . .

• At this point I think the wooden spoons are afraid of my butt cheeks. Mom got so sick of loosing spoons she bought a nylon spoon. Let me tell ya that thing hits different. Outch!

Steve_Lee