Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Madisound Sale

Some good deals on Madisound these days...

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
dynamo

Comments

• Things that interest me. 

What's the deal with the Alpairs?  Are they strictly for low watt, low volume listening, even when mated to another woofer to handle the bottom?  Sound? 

What is the 5.5" SilverFlute all about?  I've been considering building up either the truck or car, is this the one for that?  What about home audio use?    
  • I can't speak for recent MarkAudio drivers. I do know years back when they first came out, the aluminum cones were very thin and easily damaged from fingers or over driving them. Recent models may have improved on this, but something's got to give when you try to design an Aluminum cone that breaks up like paper. Could be put to good use as a midrange, but there's better choices IMO if a midrange is what you're after.

I've used the 8" Silver Flute, and thought it was excellent for the price. Build quality is top notch, but the motor is basic. They sounded great, higher than average sensitivity with a little sacrifices low end performance. I know the 5.5" models have a bit of a peaky breakup, so you may need a 3 component filter to notch it out, but good use in pairs or quads keeping a nice 8 ohm load.

• Jordans (Bandor) were the foil cones. Even though the MA cones were thin, I don't think they were as thin as the Jordans wer
  • Dreary rainy day here and I am finding it impossible to keep my mind on homework. 

I was thinking about those whizzer cone tang bands in the tapered quazi port/transmission line thing and wondering how those alpairs might work.  
  • Really great deals on those SB Satori 16s, but my shelves are full of Rival 176s. Just can't justify the purchase.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Anyone have any comments on the Fostex FT48D?  It seems ideal for a large format 2 way, but couldn't find anything.
  • It looks decent enough on paper. For a large dome, it's missing a large rear chamber to really extend the low end, so you may find that even if the performance is there that you're still limited to around 1500Hz crossover point.
  • edited May 2019
    No one is going to jump on the Morel Supreme tweeters or the $15 and $13 Peerless dome mids? Peerless 5.25" poly midwoofer is also $13. A nice budget 3-way could be made with one of those peerless drivers as a mid, the $20 DA25, and whatever cheap large woofer you can find. Or as a 2-way for a small bookshelf / computer / bedroom / surround sound speaker
  • sorry gents , I shouldve posted last week about this . Lots of good deals going on over there. The price on those damn etons though .... oooof
  • The 6 inch Satori has my focus. The Supremes are suppose to be sold as match pairs, so can you get another?  I've always wanted to try those goofy Peerless dome mids but they don't seem to bring much in terms of FR to the party.  The Audax mids one spotted and one new would be nice.

JasonP
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • There is a reduced price on these 16 ohm 6 1/2" Silver Flute woofers too.  I wonder what the actual T/S parameters are?

• That new Seas woofer is pretty nice looking. Pretty stiff competition +/- $25 from there, though. Still, though, a 6" woofer pulling 40hz in a 0.5 cubic foot cabinet is not common.
    I have a signature.
  • I agree, tough price point to compete in, but they look decent on paper and I really like them cosmetically.
  • That Seas woofer looks like it'd be fun to play with, even if it's a little above the price point I'm usually at.
  • The 6 inch Satori has my focus. The Supremes are suppose to be sold as match pairs, so can you get another?  I've always wanted to try those goofy Peerless dome mids but they don't seem to bring much in terms of FR to the party.  The Audax mids one spotted and one new would be nice.

I picked up a pair of each of the domes.  I wouldn't know what to do with drivers that are too well behaved...

I will be trying to figure out if the 5" dome has any potential as a midwoofer in a small monitor, or if it is limited to lower mid duty (Indium 9, anyone?)
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Peerless 5"25 low profile dome testing:

"high" distortion, but its completely 2nd order dominated, so it probably doesn't sound too bad.

There's a new addition to the sale page:

• dcibel said:
    Peerless 5"25 low profile dome testing:

"high" distortion, but its completely 2nd order dominated, so it probably doesn't sound too bad.

Sure, not "low" distortion, but do note that Vance likes to crank it when testing. A smallish woofer trying its best for 94 db at 1M.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • jr@mac said:
    That new Seas woofer is pretty nice looking. Pretty stiff competition +/- $25 from there, though. Still, though, a 6" woofer pulling 40hz in a 0.5 cubic foot cabinet is not common.
    Pretty low sensitivity don't you think?

• That is how it CAN get that low in that small of a volume. Sensitivity trade-off.
    rjj45
  • That's the trade-off according to Hoffman.
    rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Invest heavily in resistors!

• Not on sale, but a neat little inexpensive SB driver is now available at Mad:

• edited May 2019
    You have to hand it to them, SBA keeps coming out with cool new drivers.  I like the SB65WBAC25 (2 1/2") too, but it's almost twice the price of the SB10pgc21.  
    rjj45
  • edited May 2019
    I think that SB10 provides some real competition to the 4 Ohm Vifa TG9 that's been around for years. They are strikingly similar on paper, the biggest difference being the TG9 has a bit higher sensitivity, and the top octave response. TG9 is slightly larger as well, and CAD$6 more.
  • I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Looks like they got in on the Thiel auction, nice driver and better price.
  • Definitely would mount that one to the backside of the baffle. 
  • You could mask off the cone and surround and spray paint the frame black....
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Or maybe dremel-brush the frame to remove the paint.
    rjj45