Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

War of the 10" MONSTER midbasses - Faital Pro, Eighteen Sound, Ciare, etc

edited May 2018 in Hard Data
Doing some testing on 10" midbasses for a future project.  Going for: high-efficiency 10" midbasses pro-audio style, with low distortion.  Nothing less than 400W RMS/AES/super-heavy-duty whatever you wanna call it, no less than ~4-6mm Xmax, nice extension out to 2khz+, no smaller than 3" coils, flux demodulation rings if possible, under ~$300ea.  Goal is midbass duty in a small sealed box (~0.5 ft³) from about 80Hz up to about 1.5kHz (depending on other factors of course).

Contenders so far:

Ciare NDH 10-3 (no FD)
Faital Pro 10FH520 (FD)
Faital Pro 10FH530 (FD)
Eighteen Sound 10NW750 (FD) (on the way) 
Beyma 10MC700ND (FD) (ETA September) 
B&C 10PLB76 (FD) (ETA June-July)

and just maybe might consider the Eighteensound 10NDA610 (A.I.C. (Active Impedance Control)) even though it doesn't fit my "requirements", but it looks damn intriguing.  2nd Runner-up's also considering:  B&C 10MBX64, Beyma 10MC500, Eighteen Sound 10MB600.  I looked at RCF but can't say that any of their 10's piqued my interest.  Eminence looks bland compared to these babies.

I already did some preliminary testing on the Ciare that I received first, but still more testing to be done.  Here I am testing it along with some AMT's (Hygeia/Airborne, Dayton Audio, Beyma).

Stay tuned.  If ya want   :#

dcibelrjj45JasonPani_101ThumperTomR-CarpenterScottSkennykS7910D1PP1Nand 2 others.

Comments

• @JasonP How do you promote?
  • For the record, I have held one of the higher end Faital 10" drivers in my hand just once.  It was the best build quality I had ever seen in a driver and from what I've heard, their factories are 100% automated.  I never heard that driver, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with some Faital drivers in the future.  

Dan
  • ani_101 said:
    @JasonP How do you promote?
    Promote is a reaction for only admins or moderators :)
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • edited May 2018
    DanP said:
    For the record, I have held one of the higher end Faital 10" drivers in my hand just once.  It was the best build quality I had ever seen in a driver and from what I've heard, their factories are 100% automated.  I never heard that driver, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with some Faital drivers in the future.  

Dan
    Oh I completely agree.  I have stashed away some [40] great bass drivers in my walk-in-closet-turned-speaker-hoarding-shed, and the Faital's motor stand out immediately.  The magnet ring on the 10FH530 is a very light shade of gray, perfectly centered, perfectly formed with razor sharp 90° edges, just everything is beautiful.
  • edited May 2018
    The only other driver that I would love to try is the Acoustic Elegance TD10M, but at $450 I don't know if I'd be doing justice to that speaker! LOL.

What do you all think?
  • I think if you can afford them that you'll regret not giving them a shot. Also, if you don't like them for whatever reason I don't think they'll be hard to offload, since they have a reputation of excellence.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Speaking of purty drivers, these Eighteen Sound 10NW750's look meh, OK I guess.   ;)

D1PP1NGowaJasonPkenrhodes
  • Just got a SICK deal on a pair of Faital Pro 10HP1020's.  Two for the price of one.  Measurements coming soon, my vacations come in about 2 weeks.  Wasn't even planning on it, but two for $328 shipped, couldn't pass it up!
  • Did you pull the trigger on the TD10M?
  • Not yet.  Not only am I trying to keep it under $300 per midbass (yea I know, I've spent more than that on these already, but the unused ones will be sold off), I really doubt I won't be happy with the performance of one of these.
  • edited May 2018
    That's ok, some people are satisfied settling for only second best... =) j/k

• Wow!  Those 10NW750's look awesome!
  • PWRRYD said:
    Wow!  Those 10NW750's look awesome!
    Yup, too bad that rear end gets hidden inside the box.  Same with the Ciare's.  They have a nice back side.  The 10HP1020 Faital's get here tomorrow.  Why do I keep finding these damn good deals?!?!  damn the internet!  lol
  • You don't have to hide the back sides, you know  :#
  • 6thplanet said:
    You don't have to hide the back sides, you know  :#
    I don't feel like making a plexiglass enclosure, lol.
  • I'm pretty sure Eric meant open-back or dipole.
  • These monsters just came in...I think these might win the battle just on sheer monstrosity alone...Faital Pro 10HP1020's...700W AES/1400W Program...4" coil...Dual spiders, spaced about 13mm apart...Huge Neo motors for a midbass.

JasonPD1PP1NGowa
  • ok, i don't get to see images now  :'( 
  • I can see the first two pictures, not not the last two 18sound and faital pros
  • Plexi, OB, laminate nice picture of speaker to back of enclosure?
  • ani_101 said:
    I can see the first two pictures, not not the last two 18sound and faital pros
     Hmm.  Not sure why that is.  I can't go back and edit the posts now.  I suppose there is a timer for that.  Shucks.
  • thanks, that fixed it - can see them now
  • Awesome!  One more week of work.  Can't wait for vacations, so I can advance on this and other projects I have on the back burner for this summer!  Gotta finish the race car, build a ginormous BBQ grill, ginormous wood-fired smoker, paint the walls, etc, etc, LOL.
  • edited June 2018
    Round 1 of the war of the monster 10" Midbasses 

On-Axis Frequency Response - 2.83V, 1 meter, in-room, including reflections

As expected from the FR graphs, the 10HP1020 is the "dullest" and the NDH10-3 is the "brightest" sounding.  The funny thing is, all the Faital's and the 18 Sound drivers have demodulating rings in the motors, and Ciare says that the NDH10-3 does not have any kind of shorting/demodulating rings in the motor!.

Individual driver distortion performances.  SPL levels at the specified 105-107 dB are @ 1m on-axis.

Ciare NDH10-3

Faital Pro 10FH530

Faital Pro 10FH520

Faital Pro 10HP1020

Eighteen Sound 10NW750

This last graph shows the THD of the 5 above midbasses superimposed into one chart, with the very last one being windowed from 80Hz-10kHz, from 0 to 4 % THD.

Next time I'll do some CSD plots and polar response plots.  Maybe with some more midbasses.
  • Faital is automated? I know people who swear you cannot achieve that level of quality in driver manufacturing without it being highly labor intensive. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Faital is automated? I know people who swear you cannot achieve that level of quality in driver manufacturing without it being highly labor intensive. 
     They have some automation in the videos from Faital that I've seen on youtube.  They did show footage of some manual operations as well.
  • A couple things machines do better than humans are wet depositing and precision aligning - some implications for adhesive application and voice coil centering, I imagine. 
    I have a signature.
  • Individual FR graphs and a ZIP file with all info thus far.

Ciare NDH 10-3

Faital Pro 10HP1020

Faital Pro 10FH520

Faital Pro 10FH530

Eighteen Sound 10NW750

Here is a ZIP file containing all data thus far.

Ten Inch Midbass Drivers.zip
    jr@macgreywarden
  • Nice job on this Oscar!

Dan
  • Could any of these work in a two way with the HiVi RT2C tweeter?