Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Front End Upgrade

Finally upgraded the electronics over the holidays. 

Source is still my desktop for FLAC played by foobar.

Optical SPDIF from desktop to LKS MH-DA004 DAC dual ES2038 Pro DAC.

Balanced Out to Ncore NC400 monoblocks courtesy Steve (bigfishe)

Furman PL-PLUS DMC power conditioner proving protection and power to DAC and Amps
Gowadcibelkennyk

Comments

• You bought Steve's Ncore's, huh!? He had those at CKY-DIY a few years ago...

Steve is in the gear-swapping game, for those interested...

• Very nice Ani!
  • Looking good Ani.  You could take the protective film off the face-plate. ;-)

Ron
    Bryan@MAC
  • Wolf said:

You bought Steve's Ncore's, huh!? He had those at CKY-DIY a few years ago...

Steve is in the gear-swapping game, for those interested...

Yes, was talking to him regarding his amps at Kentucky DIY, and that prompted to go for the DAC and assorted gear. 
  • Ron_E said:
    Looking good Ani.  You could take the protective film off the face-plate. ;-)

Ron
    Will do!
  • Very nice Ani! That looks like a serious music system.

Jim
  • I am a little jealous, since that's exactly what I would have for my passive speakers if cost were no object.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @dcibel the amps or the DAC or both? Though the Ncores are well known and highly regarded, there's hardly any reviews of the DAC and it's more of a gamble on my end.

The combination sounds good over my existing setup, but is also 5X more in outlay. 
  • Well not that exact DAC per se, but just a top end Sabre32 based DAC.

I've been a fan of Hypex for years, since I built an amp with the original UcD180 modules. One day I'll have a pair of ncore modules, as well one day I'll upgrade my AS2.100D active plates to the new Fusion FA123 model, until then I've no shortage of inferior amps to enjoy.
    ani_101
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • That looks like an outstanding system to me. Glad to hear it is working for you!
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Over the years, I have had some front end setups that have had clear strengths and weaknesses.  The problem with that as a speaker builder is that when you have such a system, it can affect the voicing of your speakers.  From everything I've heard regarding the ncores and my current experience with a Sabre DAC (mine is a 9028-based), I imagine your setup will be very neutral and revealing - which is a great way to go.  I'm still running a bigger class AB amp, but may eventually move to Class D for my primary system.  I put together an amp based on the Icepower 200ASC modules a few years ago.  I liked it in some ways, but tonal balance wasn't neutral and I could hear it in my voicing. 

I know there are better options available now - maybe even ways to improve the 200ASC with input buffering etc...  It's just on the back burner for now as I have no real complaints about my current system other than weight and power consumption.
    jhollander
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • The setup is very neutral. The first thing i noticed over the exiting setup (switching between the ELAC integrated and the Emotive TA100 DAC/AMP) was the dark background - the floor seemed to be really low and the spacing and individual instruments seemed to stand out a bit better. 

At first i liked the integrated systems, but after going back and forth a few times, i found that the integrated were a bit bright and more forward. 

JasonP