Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Big discounts on Heil AMT's

Never heard one--only familiar with their reputation.  I thought maybe someone here would be interested.
https://essspeakers.store/collections/heil-amt
Tagged:
dcibelNicholas_23

Comments

• Holy smokes!
  • Yeah, Javad's already posted a couple of FR graphs. Broad 5-7 dB bump at about 5khz. Other than that, very good. I got a pair. Super heavy. Totally impressive. Thinking about a 3 way.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Where is he posting the graphs?

Jim
  • It's all on Facebook now, real shame.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Bummer! I don't have a facebook account. My wife does. Do you know what she should search for?

I'm just curious about the drivers. I'm also curious if they're going out of business. I always thought Heil's were really expensive.

Jim
  • Loudspeaker Project Pad. I don't have FB account either, and don't plan to.
    Gowa
  • jholtz said:
    Bummer! I don't have a facebook account. My wife does. Do you know what she should search for?

I'm just curious about the drivers. I'm also curious if they're going out of business. I always thought Heil's were really expensive.

Jim
    DIY Loudspeaker Pad - closed group - admins are Jeff Bagby and Javad Shadzi
    Jeff has posted a couple of good tutorials in the last few months.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Thanks guys! I'll check it out and see what is available for me to see.

Jim
  • Jim , looks like your wife will have to fill out a couple questions before she can be admitted to the page. I had the mrs try as well. I'm curious what the measurements look like too. 
    e6zion
  • I was a member of that page, but the same people problems happened there that plague other busy forums. Javad, Jeff, and Chuck do their best but sifting through the non-linear Facebook presentation fashion is just too much for me. 

Gotta be up to 10,000 people or more by now, I imagine. 
    I have a signature.
  • Around 14.5k. Still a member. 
  • Thanks guys. I also couldn't see much without making my wife a member. I'd really like to see the measurements but my wife would be very grumpy if I signed her up for a DIY group. :)

Does anyone have measurements of the Heil's that can post them? I'm particularly interested in the smaller version they offer. Of course frequency and distortion measurements are what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the help!

Jim
  • This is quite weird. I was going to carry them a few years ago but couldn't get the price I needed. I wonder if they are in trouble. I hope not.
    dcibel
  • https://essspeakers.store/collections/black-friday/products/6-amt-series-speaker-pair

Wonder what that woofer is, looks remarkably similar to the GRS model at PE, although I would hope they stick a better woofer under that tweeter. The GRS punches way above its weight, but...

I wonder how the cans sound? Those are on sale as well 
    I have a signature.
  • I wonder if there are any cavity resonances with the AMT mounted like that. 
  • edited January 2019
    ESS has never been known to make great woofers, unfortunately.

I have heard good things about the 422H headphones though, the sale price isn't such a great discount as the big AMT. IIRC the 422H is a 2-way headphone, since AMTs have trouble with the low frequencies.
  • I spoke with Richie just a few minutes ago . He said they are alive and well . Sounds like they want to get some of these tweeters out, to let folks know they are the OG's when it comes to the AMT market. I wonder if they are not having some issues competing with some of the stuff coming from China as far as price goes hence the price drop on their AMT tweeters. So , yeah , all is good there doesnt sound like they will be closing the doors anytime soon. 

P.S. he is thinking of running the sale through friday , sounds like these are moving out the door at the price he has them listed at.  
    rjj45
  • Good lord , these things are heeeeeaaavy . Showed up on the door step today. Just got home from work and the meat buckets are in bed sleeping so didnt do much with them at this point. The SPL is not absolute but the DATS info should be accurate. 
    rjj45jr@macGowajhollanderkennyk
  • Looks like it could cross pretty low... Does a 2 way with the new Epique 8in or Satori WO24 make sense?  That or a higher end pro woofer?  I am interested to hear your thoughts.
  • Def need something thats efficient for the mid or woofer . Pro woofers or pro mids would be a neat build. I sent JR a txt, and tossed around the idea of two vifa woofers per side.
  • edited January 2019
    10 uf cap in blue no cap in red . Again the fam is sleeping so didnt go crazy and wont until I can get the cap back on the tweeter. Mic at about 5-6 inches   
    rjj45kennyk
  • Def need something thats efficient for the mid or woofer . Pro woofers or pro mids would be a neat build. I sent JR a txt, and tossed around the idea of two vifa woofers per side.
    That's my decision point also. 
    Do I go with 2 x 4-5 inch "regular" mid woofers in a MTM with the Heil, or do I use one 8-10 inch pro woofer?
    As for high efficiency pro woofers, FaitalPro and Beyma are looking good to me.

A critical part of the design process is determining exactly what is the efficiency of the Heil?
    Gonna crank up Arta and true RMS DMM this weekend.

• If it's like the other large AMT competition out there, it'll have amazingly low distortion and then hit a brick wall. I think you should be able to manage a crossover in 1.2-1.5kHz range with the big guy, which gives you a lot of options. It would be nice to verify the sensitivity. It's rated 96dB@1W, but with a non-linear (but workable) response I'd question at what frequency is it 96dB? Past experience would wager a guess of around 5kHz.

rjj45e6zionNicholas_23
  • I'd also note that Javad is showing an impedance >5 Ohms, where Nick is showing and impedance closer to the specs.
  • Guys - I need to measure the sensitivity of the Heil AMT tweeters, and the only reference I have off hand is the ARTA manual. Is there an easier way to measure 2.83V and maybe use Omnimic?  Should I measure closer and scale to 1 meter? Just want to do this right.
  • if you want to impulse, use a cap to protect it. 25-50uF should do. 1m and 2.83V at pink noise and use an RTA in OMic. This should give you a rough estimate with a best-fit plot being the best assumption.
    rjj45
  • edited January 2019
    rjj45 said:
    Guys - I need to measure the sensitivity of the Heil AMT tweeters, and the only reference I have off hand is the ARTA manual. Is there an easier way to measure 2.83V and maybe use Omnimic?  Should I measure closer and scale to 1 meter? Just want to do this right.
    If you have an Omnimic, that's the way to do it. Look in the help file, there's an instruction there.

You can measure closer than 1m and calculate sensitivity at 1m, but be real accurate with your distance measurement, at 1/4 m a small error in distance is multiplied by 4.

• edited January 2019
    Maybe irrelevant information but at a similar price point (now), here's my full dipole measurement of the Dayton AMTPRO-4.

5dB/div.

Nicholas_23