Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (10)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

MCMA Planar

edited April 2019 in DIY
These have been out for a while but I have seen nothing on them.  This one looks promising http://www.parts-express.com/fps-0212m7r1-oem-1-9-16-x-6-1-4-flat-panel-mcma-planar-speaker-6-ohm-15w--292-364 

Anyone heard these or building with one? 

Comments

• Zaph tested a similar model years ago, search his blog for "FPS".
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I'm surprised how low its sensitivity is.
  • I had never seen these. Looking at the FR graph, there's that rise to an 8dB peak just under 7k. Not sure how that might look once it's on a baffle. The sensitivity is also very low, and measured @ 1/2 meter? Looks like 78dB through the mid-band, so that makes it about 75 at 1 meter. Still, one/side with a small woofer might make for an interesting desktop speaker.
  • Wonder what a line array of those 0212m stacked on a sonotube (round concrete form) would sound like?  The top end could be filled in with a slimmer tube stacked with the narrower c0104mn to form a mid + tweeter line array with all that filled in by a regular, or whatever style you prefer, bass bin.    

Surely there is a place to get them cheaper than PE