Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (6)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Dayton PM220-8?

Does anyone have any experiences with the Dayton PM220-8?

Im looking for a high sensitivity, high quality / hifi, midbass. The Dayton ticks many boxes; low Le, super light mms (around 10g), and 95db on an eight ohm driver.

Numbers don’t say it all though.. is it a really nice driver or should I be looking at my other options like a Satori 7.5” (slight drop in sensitivity - 91 on the four ohm) or a B&C 8” pro woofer?

This is just planning for the future for a build with the Morel Supreme tweeters I was so fortunate to get at MWAF. I picked up a pair of AE TD6M mids from Charlie Laub that I want to use open baffle with them. The 8” midbass would be used sealed to get down to 90-100hz, to hand off to a 10” in a four way system.

The TD6M is also a very light weight mms, high sensitivity, low Le driver, so I’m looking for an 8” that can compare in quality to the AEs and Morels (without costing a fortune - $200 each tops).

Thanks

Comments

• I've got a pair sitting on the shelf, haven't used them yet though. I know Jeff B and Pete S spoke very highly of the PM180, having extraordinarily low distortion. I would make the same assumption of PM220, also 3rd party testing here:

It's response gets a fairly hairy above 2kHz, but that's to be expected of any 8" driver. HD tests very low.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Thanks, I saw that article. I might just give it a try. The only major downsides are mediocre power handling and excursion limiting sealed F3 to a touch over 100hz.

I like the thought of such a light cone for dynamics, etc, but worry the thin paper cone may sound like a thin paper cone as a mid bass. Any input thin cones as a midbass? 
  • edited August 2019
    I have two pairs of PM220s, but have only made a few unfinished demo speakers with them so far.  I'm listening to one of them right now, a full range 1.5 way in a 28 liter enclosure.  I like them enough to have started building the other side.  They are far more revealing and efficient compared to my other speakers.  I have only relatively lower cost drivers to compare them with, however.
    The mid bass is very clean sounding and detailed starting around 100 Hz or so, I listen to them in a sealed or open backed enclosure mostly.  Pianos, Cellos, and Kettle Drums sound really nice to me.
  • Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!