Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2D / 3D software for cnc and 3D printing

I used to use Sketchup (but it's too finicky and doesn't always work, worse for 3D printing as the usually the model is not closed), dabbled a bit in Fusion 360.

I am looking to pickup creating models again and looking for suggestions. It doesn't need to CAD/CAM the universe, but create reliable 2D model which i can export to DXF, to be imported to Vectric/Aspire and solid 3D model which i use for 3D printing, open source or low cost preferred.

if you have suggestions for the full path that is welcome too...

Comments

• I'm an AutoCad user at work but like the free program NanoCad at home.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I don't know if it will fill all your needs, but I've been using TinkerCAD of late. It is a server (online) based software from Autodesk. Simple, but very extendable. I'm also recently playing with OpenSCAD because it is like a programming language for 3D and I love that.

Looking at import/export in TinkerCAD, I only see OBJ and STL for 3d and SVG for 2D. Might be a deal breaker?
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • most 3D printing s/w slicers accept STL, so that should be fine, but cnc s/w such as aspire accept dxf or a few propriety formats. DXF seems to be the universal format for cnc.

@JasonP does OpenSCAD support both code and UI or is it code only like very very old Autocad? Code sometime helps as you can set very precise parameters instead of trying to place the mouse at a very specific point! What are the export options?

@jhollander what are the export options for NanoCad?
  • OpenSCAD supports a host of 3d formats, including the common STL and 3MF and does support DXF.

The interface for it has a text editor for the model description and a render window to preview the output. From what I know, the render window is preview only so you have to do the model in the text editor.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • For the free program it's DXF and DWG
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails