Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Tweeter selection request...

I'm planning a few projects out, and have a quad of poly W5-704D for woofers, and a pair of Curv-poly Seas FU10RB for mids. I'm really struggling with a tweeter choice, as they have to be smaller than 98mm diameter to make them look right against the mid. I also don't need to have a low-reacher as the mid covers well. 0.75/1.0 diameters both apply here. I also don't need a bunch of output, as the mid isn't sensitive to begin with but mates well for BSC. I am also not finding any poly domes I'd render 'usable', which would match materials.

I have the ND28F-6, but I used those with the W5s in the Canvas project and don't want a repeat. I've thought about using the modified ND28F-6 when I get the testing done there with the dimple conversion, but that still seems wrong to me. I don't want a re-do.

I have several ND20FB-4, but that I've also done before for 3-ways, and I want better caliber of driver here.

I have several CSS LD25X, pending measurement for viability, but then it would not be repeatable. Still- a viable option.

I have my modded RST28F-4, but that is too large for this.

Ribbons are too sensitive for this design, not to mention too large.

I've looked hard at the DX20 and Seas 22TFF, but nothing is really getting my attention.

So- what say you?

Wolf

Comments

• If I stuck with a classic, I'd just go XT25SC90.
  • Ben,
    I loved the smaller faceplated SB26STCN tweeters I used in the Jonquils!  They are great tweeters and I think they fit your criteria.
    rjj45
  • I'd have to pad those -10dB, so that seems a large loss to me.
    PWRRYD
  • If you have a particular tweeter in mind but the faceplate is too large, why not turn the faceplate down to <98mm? 
  • No love for ND25? SB19?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Wolf said:
    I'd have to pad those -10dB, so that seems a large loss to me.
    A padding resistor is a "large loss" lol!
  • Check out the Visaton DT94, I've used them twice and really like them and they appear to meet your criteria.
  • What about a NE25?

Otherwise a DX20? I think that is what that guy used in that nebulous spiral thing and I thought those sounded great.
  • edited December 2019
    Wolf said:
    I'd have to pad those -10dB, so that seems a large loss to me.

So? 10dB of passive attenuation brings the noise floor on the top end down with it.

If I'm reading this topic correctly, your wanting to use a pair of 5" drivers with 3.3mm xmax for the low end, which have 88dB sensitivity. Using a pair in parallel, your system sensitivity should end up around 88dB. The Seas midrange at 85dB will get a little boost from the bandpass filter, so it may just barely make the sensitivity requirement, but may be a bit of a stretch.

The SB26STCN at 92.5dB sensitivity would only be padded a few dB to get down to 88, you'd only need 10dB of padding if you're planning to use only a single W5-704D "woofer" per side, since the system sensitivity would be around 82dB in that case.

Anyway, if you're sticking with that 82dB goal, and don't want to pad 10dB for whatever reason, then I'd say go with Wavecor TW013WA01 ;)
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • If you're interested, the TW013WA01 is on sale for $32 CAD ($24 USD) at Solen.  Unfortunately the shipping will offset some of the savings.
    dcibel
  • edited December 2019
    I have heard nothing but good things about the Seas 22TAF/G, but I haven't used it.  Just tossing it in the list.
    Also at Madisound: THIEL H1715-06 Titanium Dome Tweeter (DRTV-060-01) with truncated flange 103.8mm x 81mm
  • Ben,

We posted infinite baffle measurements for the new tweeters earlier this week: https://www.css-audio.com/online-store/CSS-LD25X-Pre-order-p144557321

Life has been super busy so we are still working on the full spec sheet.

• I actually have the old CSS LD25X, and several.
    I was just thinking why not find something in the 89dB range since I don't need the extra output. Other than that- the SB26STCN a viable choice as well.
    I have used the ND25, and while I like it, I want to try something else.
    I don't care for the SB19, and I don't want a waveguide tweeter, so the 13 is out too (I know I did not specify that).
    I did not think about the NE tweeters at all. That's possible...
    The 27TTFC Thiel is more robust than I need.
    The 22TAF/G is a good tweeter, but I'm leaning silk dome this time.

This might end up as a 3.5 way for sensitivity reasons, or even run them in series, so we'll see which way this goes on output. The FU10RB-8 is only 82dB by itself, and I am hoping for a bit of BP gain. I can tweak the low-end a bit via filter, and maybe the Q of the rolloff. We'll just have to see what results there. I know the W5-704 will dig to 40Hz in 15 ltrs, as I've used it before, and 2 of them will work even better with more Sd on hand. It does not like to run past 2k without a dip, so it's more of a woofer than a midbass.

Thanks for the comments,
    Ben

• edited December 2019
    Sensitivity doesn't give you extra output, it just determines how much power you need to get to a specific output. Extra output comes from an increase in xmax and/or surface area.

W5-704D looks like a midbass to me, purpose built for low cost 2-ways.

FU10RB-08 on the other hand, has a dip at 2kHz.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • How about the Morel MDT12?
  • CSS LD22? Only 74mm dia and 89db.
  • edited December 2019
    Another vote for the SB26STCN - only $35 clams. 
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • MDT12 is square, and not awful, but I'm staying with round frames this time.
    LD22- that's one I hadn't looked at either. Thanks!
  • Ben, and anyone else interested, we'll soon be updating the LD22 to have a thick CNCed aluminum faceplate.  As part of this transition, we'll be clearancing out the polymer faceplate units that we have left.  The new ones are drop-in replacements for the old ones both physically and acoustically, so design longevity won't be affected.  If timing is an issue, shoot me or Kerry a PM and we can work something out ahead of the official change.
    squamishdrockenrhodesrjj45jhollanderdcibelani_101Gowa
  • I second the LD22, I really like mine quite a bit! Another one to consider might be the Morel CAT408? I saw someone singing it's praises and it looked like a drop-in for the LD22 cutout. 
  • I've used the MDT40 (same as), and I liked it a lot. Right now, the LD22 is high on my list unless I figure something else out.
  • Wolf said:
    I actually have the old CSS LD25X, and several.
    I was just thinking why not find something in the 89dB range since I don't need the extra output. Other than that- the SB26STCN a viable choice as well.
    I have used the ND25, and while I like it, I want to try something else.
    I don't care for the SB19, and I don't want a waveguide tweeter, so the 13 is out too (I know I did not specify that).
    I did not think about the NE tweeters at all. That's possible...
    The 27TTFC Thiel is more robust than I need.
    The 22TAF/G is a good tweeter, but I'm leaning silk dome this time.

This might end up as a 3.5 way for sensitivity reasons, or even run them in series, so we'll see which way this goes on output. The FU10RB-8 is only 82dB by itself, and I am hoping for a bit of BP gain. I can tweak the low-end a bit via filter, and maybe the Q of the rolloff. We'll just have to see what results there. I know the W5-704 will dig to 40Hz in 15 ltrs, as I've used it before, and 2 of them will work even better with more Sd on hand. It does not like to run past 2k without a dip, so it's more of a woofer than a midbass.

Thanks for the comments,
    Ben

Ah, didn't realize you were talking about the old one. Obviously I'm biased but I think we've made some significant improvements in the new version that make it sound better than the old. We have a couple pairs of the old version that we used for comparison.
  • I'll second the DX20 and LD22.
  • I like the ld22, pretty good tweeter at reasonable price, can cross lowish, small format great for 2 ways with 6" and 3 ways and easy to work with....
  • I did look at that one, the descendant of the D26NC55. I wanted a round face, however. 
  • .... or maybe the Visaton DT94 depending on how adventurous you're feeling.
  • Got some XT25SC90s from John, so- They are my choice!
    Thanks for all whom participated...
    rjj45