Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

InDIYana 2020 and one more thing...

Comments

• I see now, you were only defining the rights of the winner. My initial thought was that JR was intending I somehow took pleasure from a competitor's pain when being limited by the rules of the theme challenge, somehow gloating when questions were not replied to as hoped. I really over thought it there, but it also made sense by the definition. I retract my previous statement as it was based on something that was not there, as well as apologize for my unfounded rudeness.
  • As my best friend Matt would have been heard saying about himself;
    "I can be a real space cadet sometimes." It applies to me here as well.
  • Is it snowing in Lake Wobegon again?

where "all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average" 

• It was not directed at you, just a reminder what the word means. 
    I have a signature.
  • So just for clarification....If I'm thinking of using a tweeter that has a SRP of $79.99 but an Everyday Price of $49.99 which price am I to use?  
  • So I am looking at two woofers ( ->300Hz) and a mid (400Hz-1800Hz) on an open baffle with one closed back tweeter (1800Hz+).

That should correctly qualify?

Thank you,

David.
  • Use the everyday price.

Yes, Dave, as far as configuration goes, you should be fine.
  • Ben, are you planning to schedule around Vera Bradley April 18- 19? 
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Next question, the LX521 uses a reverse polarity rear firing tweeter to improve the dipole and power response.  Does that to violate rule #3?
  • I never schedule for the same weekend as VB- on purpose.
    I believe #3 encourages usages such as that of the LX implementation. That's how I read it.
  • Thanks the words "should have matching emanation" tripped me up.
  • edited November 2019
    Wolf said:
    Sorry, retail pricing should be adhered to, sale prices are not valid.
    Quantity pricing is still good though, right?
    DanP
  • Absolutely! If you can shave by buying at quantity, while using all that were purchased at that quantity cost in the build, it definitely qualifies.
  • Cool.

Hmmmm .....

*imagination runs wild at the possibilities*
  • Ben, sorry if i missed it but do you have dates finalized?
  • I hope to do that tomorrow, as a matter of fact...
  • Coordinator is off today. The inquiry has been made. You'll know when I know.
  • Ben, I am hoping to make your event this year.

With all due respect I have a question. With your size constraints the project is allowed to occupy six cubic feet of floor space per channel. You have internal volume limited to 2ft^3.

Any chance you would be willing to up the volume allowance to 3ft^3, which is still only half the allowable space the project can occupy?

Your event, your rules, but thanks for entertaining my request!
  • edited January 2020
    As I read my rules, I am only allowing 3.75ft^2 per pair WRT floor space. And- that's a frame mainly for open-baffle bass to reduce cancellation. If you use an 8" monopole for bass, it won't need that much volume nor likely will it take up that square footage. I feel 2ft^3 volume for a monopolar bass with 8" woofers is adequate and on-par with limiting the dipolar bass to dual 12" woofers and that size frame. For example, you can use 2 of the SD215A-88 within the pricing guidelines per side in 2ft^3, and get bass into the low 30 Hz range. You can't get that with every 8" woofer, and you likely can't get that with a pair of dipolar 12" woofers either. 2ft^3 8" monopolar bass cab is the best I feel I can do to level the playing field a bit.

Oh- and I hope you can make it!
  • edited January 2020
    Sounds good, figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask. I was hoping to use the Peerless hds 8s since I have a quad of them on hand but they need some room to breathe. I might still and just build a removable block to take up space in the enclosure to reduce it to 2ft3 for the event. It would limit the f3 to just under 50, but that would still be on par with ob bass. We will see. Thanks!

Just to confirm I’m reading the rules correctly, if I had a TM or MTM to the front, and a matching T of the same frequency range (two or more octaves of course) on the rear as the front T, I am fitting the criteria, correct?
  • As long as you have matching emanation on front and rear of 2 octaves, you should be fine. Yes- that would be allowed.
  • Is a tweeter mandatory?  My little hybrid design from a few years ago used one ND105-4 in a ported enclosure with the baffle extending above the enclosure and a single TC9FD mounted OB, no tweeter.
  • edited January 2020
    PWRRYD said:
    Is a tweeter mandatory?  My little hybrid design from a few years ago used one ND105-4 in a ported enclosure with the baffle extending above the enclosure and a single TC9FD mounted OB, no tweeter.
    That was a nice speaker, but I think a tweeter is required, no small mids as tweeter.
  • edited January 2020
    ani_101 said:
    PWRRYD said:
    Is a tweeter mandatory?  My little hybrid design from a few years ago used one ND105-4 in a ported enclosure with the baffle extending above the enclosure and a single TC9FD mounted OB, no tweeter.
    That was a nice speaker, but I think a tweeter is required, no small mids as tweeter.
    Nobody said how much the tweeter has to contribute. Stick one on top with a 0.5uf cap and 10 ohm resistor. When asked what it does you can explain how it lifts the veil. B)

hifisidePWRRYD
  • PWRRYD said:
    That was the first OB type design that got me into researching open baffles. 
    PWRRYD
  • Thanks Brad.  That project was a serious ear opener for me as well.

Thanks for the rules clarification guys.  I had no intentions of entering that little hybrid project. It is only sporting about $120 worth of drivers and crossover parts total.  I don't know at this time if I will be able to attend InDIYana 2020. But if possible I would like to throw a theme build into the mix.  It would most likely have two 8" woofers per side in ported enclosures.  Everything else is "I don't have a clue at this point" :)
  • The way I look at it, if it reproduces high frequencies, it's a tweeter. TC9/TG9 is a pretty good tweeter ;)
    jr@mac
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • PWRRYD said:

It would most likely have two 8" woofers per side in ported enclosures.  Everything else is "I don't have a clue at this point" :)
    At these events that is a winning formula imo
  • It's Official!!!!
    April 24/25. Information on room booking will be added to the website in the short term.

Let me know if you can make it!
    konfyoused