Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (6)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Alnico Revelator?

edited January 2020 in Related
(Sorry for phone pics of a magazine)

So Wilson Audio has a new mid they call Quadramag. They say it has an alnico magnet. Looks like a revelator. Is there any objective benefit to alnico? I’ve only ever heard they lose strength over time, combined with a bunch of subjective stuff. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Generally speaking, they fall between rare earth and ceramic for "strength", so there is likely a measurable difference. Whether that difference is euphonic is arguable.

Manufacturers stopped using it due to the stability issue, but I doubt a Wilson buyer gives two shits if he has to send his drivers in periodically to get re-gaussed. 
    dynamo
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks, I did not know they were stronger than ceramic.
  • edited January 2020
    Alnico is expensive, cobalt used in the alloy is in short supply (which also threatens electric cars).

It is also more powerful than ceramic, but mostly pointless for a hifi speaker. Alnico is popular for guitar speakers, as it can act as a built in compressor. As alnico heats due to driving a speaker hard, it will drop in magnetic strength. The motor strength will come back once it cools down. Neo magnets will have this effect as well, but at higher temperatures.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.