Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Safiniea Rival paper cone and ScanSpeak tweeter for RAD

Safiniea is Greek for clarity and that seems to describe these pretty well. Once again, Rival has produced an absolute gem of a midwoofer with the R176P08. Excellent response, linear, and smooth. This is the first ScanSpeak R2604/8330 I have used on my own and found it quite easy to work with. No real suprises here and nothing concerning about it. As this is a kit for RAD, I won't post the crossover here. It does use a 2nd/3rd order electrical topology that crosses at about 1.8k. I will post more measurements soon. Enclosure is a combination of 3/4 bbply (baffle, top, bottom and brace), mdf (sides, rear) and 1/2" bbply baffle. Port is 2"×6"L fir a 40hz fb. RAD has baffles already cut that will accommodate the Taured 2way and Safiniea builds as well. 
squamishdrocGowaThumperTom4thtry

Comments

• A sure easy build and hopefully a winner for RAD.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Those woofers are pretty sweet - I am happy with my pair.
  • One of my all-time favorite midwoofers.
  • +1 on the woofer.  I've been listening to just one of my woofers so far, playing full range (no xover), in an ML-TL.  Has a very pleasant sounding, silky type midrange.  It peaks up quite a bit in the highs for a woofer, but, even so, the highs in the 5kHz region sound reasonably controlled.   I will be crossing at 800Hz  4th order.      
  • 4thtry said:
    +1 on the woofer.  I've been listening to just one of my woofers so far, playing full range (no xover), in an ML-TL.  Has a very pleasant sounding, silky type midrange.  It peaks up quite a bit in the highs for a woofer, but, even so, the highs in the 5kHz region sound reasonably controlled.   I will be crossing at 800Hz  4th order.      
    Crossing at 800Hz? To what?
  • I'm using the Morel TM4055 TweeMids.  
    Gowa
  •   Wolf beat my reply by 2 minutes!  :o  Didn't see his post before I hit the post comments button, so there must be about a 5 minute server processing lag built into the system.
  • Wolf like reflexes to new posts. 
    4thtry
  • Ignore below 200. At this high level 90db@1m, I am getting some room noise right now. Hopefully taking care of that soon. After some extended listening, I wasn't completely happy with the first crossover and decided to take some additional measurements which also confirmed the room effects. So a little more modeling and now they live up to the name IMO. These will more than likely become the mains for our upstairs system which means daily use.
    GowahifisideJasonP
  • And done. Big fan of Rival woofers! 
    rjj45
  • Dustcap on yours are different than my P8's.
  • Nice looking speaker! Is that just lacquered or poly on baltic birch?
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • dcibel said:
    Nice looking speaker! Is that just lacquered or poly on baltic birch?
    2 coats of dewaxed shellac and multiple coats of frosted pearl seal coat. 
    dcibel
  • Wolf said:
    Dustcap on yours are different than my P8's.
    I'm pretty sure they are the same. I've heard that Rival will be improving the dustcap for the 'P'.
  • Mine should be up and running soon. :)